PDA

View Full Version : bass and treble adjustments?

squmhe
2009-10-06, 12:45
Can bass and treble be adjusted (like with the Boom)?

Thanks in advance.

toby10
2009-10-06, 12:56
Nope.

EDIT: I stand corrected, read down. Current Radio FW does not have such adjustments, but may offer this control in future FW Updates.
My apologies Dean. :)

squmhe
2009-10-06, 15:56
Seems like an oversight -- and since the data is digital, this seems possibly easy to fix in the firmware.

Is is known if control of bass and treble will be added?

dean
2009-10-06, 17:53
Yes, I believe that this is planned as feature for a future firmware
update.

On Oct 6, 2009, at 3:56 PM, squmhe wrote:

>
> Seems like an oversight -- and since the data is digital, this seems
> possibly easy to fix in the firmware.
>
> Is is known if control of bass and treble will be added?
>
>
> --
> squmhe
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> squmhe's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?
> userid=32804
> View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=69281
>
>

squmhe
2009-10-06, 22:33
Glad to hear it -- as it's unlikely I'd buy a Squeezebox radio without some control over the tone.

I already own two small non-IP radios that deliver too much bass (perhaps to produce a "big" sound) -- and don't like them for that reason.

andynormancx
2009-10-06, 23:11
If the Boom is a guide then lack of tone controls isn't likely to be an issue on the Radio. With well designed speakers and clever DSP work it doesn't feel the need to sound big and bassy. The tone controls on my Boom stay centred.

toby10
2009-10-07, 03:48
.... The tone controls on my Boom stay centred.

Same here. :)
We asked about bass & treble adjustments in the Beta Radio group and were lead to believe this would not make it to the Radio.
Glad they have had a change of heart for those that desire such flexibility.

dean
2009-10-07, 06:45
I think you'll find the Radio _very_ well balanced out of the box, but
I understand, it's a matter of taste.

-dean

On Oct 6, 2009, at 10:33 PM, squmhe <squmhe.3zo8in1254893643 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com
> wrote:

>
> Glad to hear it -- as it's unlikely I'd buy a Squeezebox radio without
> some control over the tone.
>
> I already own two small non-IP radios that deliver too much bass
> (perhaps to produce a "big" sound) -- and don't like them for that
> reason.
>
>
> --
> squmhe
> ---
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> squmhe's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?
> userid=32804
> View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=69281
>
>

squmhe
2009-10-07, 16:32
Even the out-of-the-box sound is well-balanced, bass and treble controls are desirable for playing material that is not well-balanced, such as ultra-baritone radio announcers, and MP3 files that have too much bass and not enough treble.

intermod
2009-10-07, 20:22
I am a bit picky about dynamic range and frequency response (stereo is not
important to me) - just received mine here in the San Francisco bay area and
it exceeds my expectations for both given its size. This is using 256 kbps
mp3's encoded from CD's so far. My Live 365 feeds are also very good.

The only (very minor) issue is the volume ramping acceleration. It can take
a bit of turning to bring it down or up. Instead of 3 dB/step, or linear,
it would be nice to have this accelerate a bit.

But if this is the only thing I found so far, I remain impressed.

Greg

> Even the out-of-the-box sound is well-balanced, bass and treble
> controls
> are desirable for playing material that is not well-balanced, such as
> ultra-baritone radio announcers, and MP3 files that have too much bass
> and not enough treble.
>
>
> --
> squmhe

joergen
2009-10-11, 09:14
Even though the Radio sound might be well-balanced, I find speech quite often sounding annoyingly 'boomy'.

The SB Radio is less so than the otherwise excellent Wi-Fi radio 'Airstream 10' by loudspeaker producer Monitor Audio, which I therefore returned.

My hunch is adding bass is a trend not only embraced by set producers, but also by several broadcasters.

I am therefore hoping for an equalizer in the future.

joergen, Oslo

Keymaster
2009-10-11, 09:48
I've found that SB Radio is sensitive to quarter space placement (like many other devices). "Quarter space" of course being techspeak for "in a corner". Try moving the radio around a bit, and also, see if your head is in a quarter space when you notice this (i.e. bed up against a wall and your head rests in the corner)

I generally have mine placed about 2 feet in front of a wall. Corners are about 5-6 feet in either direction.

squmhe
2009-10-31, 12:21
I've found that SB Radio is sensitive to quarter space placement (like many other devices). "Quarter space" of course being techspeak for "in a corner". Try moving the radio around a bit, and also, see if your head is in a quarter space when you notice this (i.e. bed up against a wall and your head rests in the corner)

I generally have mine placed about 2 feet in front of a wall. Corners are about 5-6 feet in either direction.

To me, the fact that sound quality is affected by placement is yet another reason for having bass and treble controls -- because when the radio is used as clock radio (e.g., near a bed), placement choices are often limited.

Just to be sure I'm asking this question properly, when running SqueezeBox Server, Web Control, on the Settings -> Player -> Audio tab, there are no sliders for bass and treble? (as there are when SqueezeBox Server is controlling the Boom)

aubuti
2009-10-31, 14:40
Just to be sure I'm asking this question properly, when running SqueezeBox Server, Web Control, on the Settings -> Player -> Audio tab, there are no sliders for bass and treble? (as there are when SqueezeBox Server is controlling the Boom)
correct

squmhe
2009-10-31, 17:44
correct

Thanks for the screenshot.

This is a deal breaker for me -- so I'm looking forward to the feature being added soon.