PDA

View Full Version : Is the Squeezebox server required for Setup?

tamanaco
2009-10-06, 09:42
A friend wants to get SQB Radio or maybe the Boom. Is the Squeezebox Server required for the initial setup of either of these? He only has a Nettop at home with very little storage space left in the SD card. So, no room to install the Squeezebox server. I want to avoid having to bring my laptop to his house to configure his Radio or Boom. Can the initial configuration be done using just the Radio/Boom and a Web browser to register it on SN? He just want to use the Squeezebox Network for Pandora and a few foreign Internet radio stations. He currently uses the Nettop (which hangs at times) to listen streamed music using some crappy external speakers.

Terje
2009-10-06, 10:10
A friend wants to get SQB Radio or maybe the Boom. Is the Squeezebox Server required for the initial setup of either of these

No, you only need some kind of Internet access to setup these against MySqueezebox.com

I got my first two Radio's today, and they even flashed new firmware before linking them up to my account when I gave them network access.

tamanaco
2009-10-06, 10:15
No, you only need some kind of Internet access to setup these against MySqueezebox.com

I got my first two Radio's today, and they even flashed new firmware before linking them up to my account when I gave them network access.

In other words, no Squeezebox Server required for firmware updates either? The updates download directly from MySN once you set up an MySN account? is this the case for both the Radio and the Boom?

Terje
2009-10-06, 10:18
In other words, no Squeezebox Server required for firmware updates either? The updates download directly from MySN once you set up an MySN account?

Yes, you can use any of the Squeezeboxes without any server if you like. If you use services like mp3tunes.com, you can even store your own music there (for a fee, I think around US$40/year for 50GB) and access that from you Squeezeboxes.

A few friends has Boom's since that launched and has never setup a SBS.

iPhone
2009-10-06, 10:35
In other words, no Squeezebox Server required for firmware updates either? The updates download directly from MySN once you set up an MySN account? is this the case for both the Radio and the Boom?

Just be aware that IF one does use a server afterwards that it needs to have SBS 7.4 or higher on it. The Radio needs SBS 7.4 for local music. And any Squeezebox that was on MySB would re-flash older firmware if connected to less then SBS 7.4 after being on MySB.

The flash is probably good for over 1000 re-writes, but why fallback if one doesn't have to.

tamanaco
2009-10-06, 11:16
Glad I don't have to bring my laptop over. If he ever wants to hear music from a local server, he'll probably ask me to help him set it up. I will make sure that he won't use any SC version below 7.4.

Btw, I know that the Radio was recently released and is probably only available online. We just walked into a couple Best Buys stores here in NYC with my friend thinking that we would at least walk out with the Boom, but no such luck. We took a long walk to B&H, but it was closed.... Happy Succos!

Thanks everyone...