PDA

View Full Version : Touch vs Brennan JB7

b33k34
2009-10-06, 08:31
I've a neighbour who asked me about a Brennan JB7. It looks a nicely made unit and the ripping process looks a doddle but personally I always found browsing music on the Squeezebox to be a bit of a hassle. It's great if you know what you want to play but the web interface, or even better, iPeng is better for browsing.

He has a laptop and an external hard drive so could rip his music using that but probably wouldn't want a computer powered up all the time (a mac mini would probably work as a headless server but it's getting expensive then). That points me to two suggestions - an iPod Touch and docking station or a SB Touch

The Touch looks particularly interesting since it's expandable. Rip on the laptop, copy to 32gb SD card or usb hard disc and use it as a standalone player.

A few questions:
1) without a computer (but with a link to a wireless network) will the Touch a)play internet radio b)act as a server for other Touchs or SB Radios?

2) How 'snappy' is the interface when using the touch as the server? I ran a server on a QNAP NAS drive for a while and found the laggy response made it unusable.

3) Can I emulate a Touch in any way? Is Squeezecenter running the Touch skin in 7.4 essentially the same as the SBTouch UI?

andynormancx
2009-10-06, 08:49
1) without a computer (but with a link to a wireless network) will the Touch a)play internet radio b)act as a server for other Touchs or SB Radios?

Yes it can, it also acts as a server to SB3s, Booms and Transporters.

3) Can I emulate a Touch in any way? Is Squeezecenter running the Touch skin in 7.4 essentially the same as the SBTouch UI?
The Touch skin is nothing like the SB Touch. You can in theory emulate the Touch by running the Windows SqueezePlay app, which can emulate a Touch, Radio or Controller.

However, the SqueezePlay app is currently a bit broken (I and others can't get it to connect to Squeezebox Server). Once SqueezePlay is fixed you should be able to use it to see how the Touch UI will look.

Phil Leigh
2009-10-06, 09:17
The Touch skin is nothing like the SB Touch. You can in theory emulate the Touch by running the Windows SqueezePlay app, which can emulate a Touch, Radio or Controller.

However, the SqueezePlay app is currently a bit broken (I and others can't get it to connect to Squeezebox Server). Once SqueezePlay is fixed you should be able to use it to see how the Touch UI will look.

The skin gives very little idea of what a real Touch is like because of the Touchscreen and the IR distance UI - neither of which the skin can emulate.

andynormancx
2009-10-06, 09:23
The skin gives very little idea of what a real Touch is like because of the Touchscreen and the IR distance UI - neither of which the skin can emulate.
That is why I said "how the Touch UI will _look_".

Doesn't the "WGVGA Large Print Skin" on SqueezePlay show what the distance UI on the Touch shows ?

Phil Leigh
2009-10-06, 09:28
That is why I said "how the Touch UI will _look_".

Doesn't the "WGVGA Large Print Skin" on SqueezePlay show what the distance UI on the Touch shows ?

Well yeah - but you don't get the fun of the UI dynamically changing :-)

I agree you get the look but not the feel...

b33k34
2009-10-06, 09:37
Windows app? I presume this works on Mac OS as well - will both be broken in the 7.4 nightlies?

andynormancx
2009-10-06, 09:48
I've just downloaded the OSX version of SqueezePlay and it seems to be working fine.

b33k34
2009-10-06, 15:30
Squeezeplay is impressive although i couldn't get sync to work (no sound from Squeeeplay when synced).

The Touch interface looks really well thought out. A few questions -

- how do you scroll through a list of, say, artists? Does it have iPod touch style 'kinetic' scrolling or do you hold and drag the 'scrollbar' on the right?

- no-one answered my question on the server responsiveness. Is using the touch as a server with a large collection (say 5000 songs/32gb memory card) likely to be really unpleasant? Is the inbuilt server intended to be used with a few albums on a card or will it cope with being the master system?

Phil Leigh
2009-10-06, 15:36
Squeezeplay is impressive although i couldn't get sync to work (no sound from Squeeeplay when synced).

The Touch interface looks really well thought out. A few questions -

- how do you scroll through a list of, say, artists? Does it have iPod touch style 'kinetic' scrolling or do you hold and drag the 'scrollbar' on the right?

- no-one answered my question on the server responsiveness. Is using the touch as a server with a large collection (say 5000 songs/32gb memory card) likely to be really unpleasant? Is the inbuilt server intended to be used with a few albums on a card or will it cope with being the master system?

When it was working it was OK for me... we are waiting for a new version of TinySC, but Radio/7.4 fixes come first...

JohnSwenson
2009-10-06, 16:33

There are a number of ways to scroll:

there is a scroll bar on the right

stick your finger on the main area and hold it down and move up and down. If you move slowly it follows precisely. If you move quickly you get the "kinetic" behavior. If you get a little enthusiastic with this a lot can go wizzing by and you miss what you want.

If you 'flick' the screen it goes to the top or bottom.

Put your finger on the screen and draw circles - clockwise scrolls down, counter-clockwise goes up.

I personally like the draw circles, it goes fast but you still have good control.

John S.

lrossouw
2009-10-06, 18:39
One point that may not be clear: I understand with the Touch as the server the web interface is not available, as it uses too much resources.

radish
2009-10-06, 22:34

I wouldn't expect the number of tracks to make a massive difference in performance, although it's not really testable as it stands right now. It is designed to work with multiple players at once, but things like the web interface and transcoding are not available for performance reasons.