PDA

View Full Version : Alarmclock on the move

Muele
2009-10-06, 05:15
So, I would like to get me a radio.
Primarily as a bedside alarmclock and nighttime music player.
But I will also be carrying it to the garage, outside etc. So that brings up a bunch of questions. I will number then i order to ease answering.

1. How does it handle being unplugged and replugged? I.E. does the alarms I have set remain in place etc.
2. Similar to the above. How does it handle powersurges and networksurges? Will it be able to wake me up in all cases (given electricity is up at the time of awakening)?
3. How is it to control in pitch darkness?
4. How flexible are the preset-buttons? I would like to add A) a sleep-timer-button since Logitech decided not to. B) All albums of a given genre for my kindergarden kids to be able to put on kids-music themselves (I don't think i can teach them to Browse genre - children, roll to the buttom and select "all albums". Then they can choose by looking at the familiar album art).
5. I know there is no snoozebutton, much to my regret. How is snoozing and turning off the alarm done? How easy is it to do it wrong when half asleep?
6. If I fall asleep, wearing headphones, will the alarm sound from the speaker or just the headphones?

I probably have more questions but they escape me right now.

radish
2009-10-06, 06:08
1. How does it handle being unplugged and replugged? I.E. does the alarms I have set remain in place etc.

Yes. Alarms are stored on the server (except the next scheduled one which is also stored locally in case the network is lost).

2. Similar to the above. How does it handle powersurges and networksurges?

All electronics can potentially be damaged by a power surge or lightning strike. Use a surge protector. I don't know what a "networksurge" is.

Will it be able to wake me up in all cases (given electricity is up at the time of awakening)?

Yes. If you have the battery pack, you wouldn't even need power to be on.

3. How is it to control in pitch darkness?

Not as good as the Boom IMHO, as the buttons aren't backlit. But there's some light from the screen - certainly using the knob is no problem.

4. How flexible are the preset-buttons? I would like to add A) a sleep-timer-button since Logitech decided not to. B) All albums of a given genre for my kindergarden kids to be able to put on kids-music themselves (I don't think i can teach them to Browse genre - children, roll to the buttom and select "all albums". Then they can choose by looking at the familiar album art).

Not sure. Some combo of standard options and custom button mappings can probably do what you want.

5. I know there is no snoozebutton, much to my regret. How is snoozing and turning off the alarm done? How easy is it to do it wrong when half asleep?

Snooze is I believe a push on the knob. Haven't tried it half asleep :)

6. If I fall asleep, wearing headphones, will the alarm sound from the speaker or just the headphones?

Speaker.

Muele
2009-10-06, 06:38
By power- and network surge I simply mean power and network failure or outage. Sorry, English is not my first language.

Thanks for the answers.

radish
2009-10-06, 07:19
By power- and network surge I simply mean power and network failure or outage. Sorry, English is not my first language.

No problem, just confused me because "surge" means too much of something rather than too little :) Alarms will sound as long as it has power from either the mains or the battery. I believe that network outages are handled the same way as Boom, so that the next alarm will still sound (but not subsequent ones) and it will use a buzzer if it can't get to the configured file/stream.