PDA

View Full Version : SqueezePlay 7.41 Problems: Synch, Volume

mojojoj0
2009-10-05, 07:45
This post is to notify of several problems with the new Squeezeplay software. I upgraded to 7.4.1 server on ReadyNas Duo. This is specifically about functionality that does not work, and various troubleshooting I've done and a workaround or two that is fully reproducible. Setup is: Squeezecenter 7.4.1 installed on ReadyNas Duo w/1GB RAM. Squeezebox 2 hardware (now called Classic) on wireless N network. Squeezeplay software controller 7.4.1 from nightly build on Windows Vista 64bit PC.

1. The default menu for the Squeezeplay software controller does not connect automatically to my PC player. For the PC users out there, this is non-intuitive; the default player should either be selectable and remembered, or just default to the PC player like in 7.3. I've seen a bunch of posts from confused users that is a direct result of this problem with not defaulting to a specific player on startup. I can select this player from the 'Choose Player' menu item, but a single click does not work. Must firmly 'double click' the menu item, and then I have access to the player. Most other items from the menu work with a single click. Also, the Up/Down arrows on my keyboard do not work (they used to work on 7.3), but left/right arrows do.

2. More IMPORTANTLY, synchronization does not work anymore. It worked fine on 7.3. While my squeezeplay software does indicate that synchronization is working (with album art consistent across players), as soon as I synch, there is NO SOUND on my PC SqueezePlay. The sound works again as soon as I unlink the SB Classic and the SqueezePlay. Both the software and hardware players can play streams from the server at the same time just fine but only if not synched. The fact that there is no sound on my pc when synching is a dealbreaker and should be top priority for a bugfix.

Thanks, mojojoj0

elbee
2009-10-06, 03:38
After installing SP-7.4.1 on my Windows 7 x64 system it wasn't able to find the SB-7.4 server that's on the same subnet on my home WiFi network. It would ask for language then go catatonic. AFAIK there was no firewall on either side.

I fixed this by manually editing \Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\SqueezePlay\userpath\settings\Cho oseMusicSource.lua to:

settings = {poll={["192.168.2.100"]="192.168.2.100",},}

(192.168.2.100 is my server).

Maybe there's a problem w/Win7 and listening to broadcasts?

lance

Phil Leigh
2009-10-06, 03:52
The fact that there is no sound on my pc when synching is a dealbreaker and should be top priority for a bugfix.

I don't see how this can be a "dealbreaker" when Squeezeplay (synced or not!) is a FREE "best-efforts" bonus feature that is NOT part of the core SB package at the moment.

Whilst I understand that many people use the PC Squeezeplay "product", it's not going to be top of the fix list...yet

Of course you should file a bug for it though.

Ben Sandee
2009-10-06, 08:55
On Tue, Oct 6, 2009 at 5:52 AM, Phil Leigh
<Phil.Leigh.3zmsnz1254826441 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
>
> mojojoj0;467103 Wrote:
>> The fact that there is no sound on my pc when synching is a
>> dealbreaker and should be top priority for a bugfix.
>>
>>
>
> I don't see how this can be a "dealbreaker" when Squeezeplay (synced or
> not!) is a FREE "best-efforts" bonus feature that is NOT part of the
> core SB package.

The "deal" that is broken is that Logitech provides the software for
free and the user uses it if they like it. In this case, the user is
the deal breaker because they choose not to use it.

Ben

Phil Leigh
2009-10-06, 10:42
>
> mojojoj0;467103 Wrote:
>> * The fact that there is no sound on my pc when synching is a
>>
>>
>
> core SB package.

Ben

Fine - but the emphasis right now is on fixing SBS issues...Squeezeplay will likely be way down the list. I was just trying to point that out in case the OP was hoping for a fix anytime soon.

It is Squeezeplay BETA for a reason...

mojojoj0
2009-10-06, 10:59
>
> mojojoj0;467103 Wrote:
>> * The fact that there is no sound on my pc when synching is a
>>
>>
>
> core SB package.

Ben

Here's the real deal: I purchased a Boom and 3 SB classics, so I have invested in Slim Devices and have been using for several years. The reason I invested in these units because they fit into a whole network of machines used in both my business and my home, and because of the flexibility of having dedicated hardware AND PCs streaming audio in synch. I depend on this audio synch capability for a business. Encouraging people to upgrade to a general release via mass email, yet breaking an important feature of software without warning, then telling folks 'tough luck, its free' after the fact, is not very helpful. I *am* trying to be helpful, by documenting the problem, in specific terms, without hyperbole or hostility. I will not be upgrading my business network to 7.4 (the dealbreaker part) as a result of this serious flaw (my opinion) with this release. I will again strongly suggest that the Squeezeplay software is addressed per the initial post. Free or not, many of us depend on streaming synch and have the expectation that the standard software and hardware environment functions at least to the level of previous versions, should we be encouraged to upgrade. I believe this is a fairly reasonable expectation by this dedicated customer.

0xdeadbeef
2009-10-06, 14:18
I fixed this by manually editing \Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\SqueezePlay\userpath\settings\Cho oseMusicSource.lua to:

settings = {poll={["192.168.2.100"]="192.168.2.100",},}

Thanks for the hint. While SqueezePlay found my real Server in the LAN and could also connect to it, it absolutely refused to connect to a server running on the same PC as SqueezePlay. Only entering "127.0.0.1" in the two above strings finally fixed this.

elbee
2009-10-06, 20:11
Glad to help - what OS and version are you running? Any idea if you have a firewall enabled?

In my case, what worked last night isn't working now, but the web service is.

arztde
2009-10-07, 04:26
Glad to help - what OS and version are you running? Any idea if you have a firewall enabled?

In my case, what worked last night isn't working now, but the web service is.

I suggest minimum to set one softwareplayer to the top of the list for bug fixing. whichever it is squeezeplay orsoftsqueeze.

A lot of developers and Betatesters need it for improvment. as i think the most bugs did not haben inside 7.4if there where reasonable softwareplayers.

you can be shure if there was no testing for 3 month of squeeze with the softwareplayers in front there was not one of my several and different squeezeboxes bought. If you wish better or different plugins, than give developers and those would like to buy the tools for testing.

that there is no more a player inside the server did shock me more than the multi bugs inside the 7.4 release.

yes i own also a duet but first test is allways the softwareplayer.

it should be so how it was since years in the squeeze before the founder of slimdevices decide to be retired.
and slowly it goes in my head this going to say good bye was the most reson that he did not agree in all these new direction.

0xdeadbeef
2009-10-07, 09:06
XP SP3. It worked yesterday and still works today.

I have a firewall enabled (Kaspersky Internet Security 2009), but I completely disabled it without any success during my tests. Besides, I gave Jive and the server full access rights.

After all, SqeezePlay was able to connect to my real Slimserver in the LAN, but not to the Server running on the same computer although I already edited "serverInit" and "serverName" in Playback.lua. Anyway, only after I also edited ChooseMusicSource.lua, SqueezePlay would finally connect.

thing-fish
2009-10-07, 09:21
that there is no more a player inside the server did shock me more than the multi bugs inside the 7.4 release.

Agreed. And for me at least, after separately downloading SqueezePlay 7.4, I can't even get it to work and sent an e-mail to support.

I hope they reconsider not including a software player right with the server. I know that I'm not alone in that Slimsever and stream.mp3 was my introduction to the SlimDevices family: I was specifically looking for a way to catalog my music and stream it from home to work. I later started using SoftSqueeze and only after doing that for a couple of years did I buy my first Squeezebox. I do not think I would have spent nearly a grand with Slim/Logitech without SoftSqueeze to show me what I was missing. Squeezeplay serves the same purpose with the new visuals. They're making a mistake when they don't include it in the server.