PDA

View Full Version : My top request to Logitech Squeezebox

pablolie
2009-10-04, 20:08
Going forward, I think that utter emphasis should be placed on saviing preferences during upgrades. Please.

The more SB products I own, the more disgruntled I will get if I have to manually set up every SB in my network again to my liking. And I want to buy more - I am about to pull the trigger on a Touch and a Radio, but I would like to know someone is listening.

Eventually I would like to see a preference/configuration backup tool.

I don't mind the experimental edge, and trouble shooting a little; but the repetitive work of re-entering th same stuff over and over again is silly.

Please? That would make upgrades far more painless. The biggest outcry in 7.4 has been lost preferences. A backup tool would likely solve most of those.

Ben Sandee
2009-10-04, 20:52
On Sun, Oct 4, 2009 at 10:08 PM, pablolie
<pablolie.3zkcin1254712201 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
>
> Going forward, I think that utter emphasis should be placed on saviing
> preferences during upgrades. Please.

For the most part, these problems were limited to people running Linux
and it was due to the package name change. It's a niche -- but vocal
-- group and while well supported in many ways, testing is limited. I
run all my SS stuff on my Debian box myself so I know that little
things like getting the Debian repos stable/testing/unstable updated
properly took until a few days after the 7.4 release.

Anyway, my point is that most people absolutely did not have to go
through what you went through. We all get it. You got burned.
Burned bad. It is hours/days of your life that you can never get
back. But each time you write a new message about it, it's
seconds/minutes of my life that I can never get back. I say that in
jest...... mostly.

Cheers,

Ben

pfarrell
2009-10-04, 21:13
pablolie wrote:
>
> The more SB products I own, the more disgruntled I will get if I have
> to manually set up every SB in my network again to my liking. And I want
> to buy more - I am about to pull the trigger on a Touch and a Radio, but
> I would like to know someone is listening.

Er, if you don't have a Radio (since no one has a Touch yet), why did
you upgrade to 7.4 already?

With all the noise in the forums, I'd think that a "if it ain't broke,
don't fix it" is the appropriate response to folks who are not willing
to experiment or folks with brand new hardware.

Just let things settle a bit and let others be the pioneers. They are
easy to identify, they have arrows in their backs.

I'm been using SqueezeBoxen since before the SB had graphics, and I
don't understand your panic over preferences. Perhaps I don't have a lot
of preferences set, but I've not experienced any big deal on preferences.

--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/

Goodsounds
2009-10-04, 22:15
The noise on the forums came as a result of people following what seemed to be an uncharacteristic prodding to upgrade (the email and the overnight change to Squeezenetwork) and then having problems as a result.

It seems like better choices could have been made by the company in communicating and managing the transition. As I said in another thread, I think the extent of grousing has been unwarranted, but some amount of civil grousing was to be expected. And was valid.

pablolie
2009-10-04, 22:17
I like to dual source, and the ability to play music from SBS and mySB.com is something I always appreciated.

I have kept the (backup) Vista server at 7.3.3. But it's my high performance powersucking alien and I have not turned it on for SBS duty in weeks. I will keep it at 7.3.3 until I feel utterly grounded in 7.4.

I mean, 7.4 is running fine now, it seems I ironed out all the wrinkles, and I really like the new Controller look (even though it seems the Receiver naps very hard at times and takes time to wake up in 7.4). I also like the new mySB.com a lot. The changes are wortwhile for me.

I think a lot of the issues I have read about have been about preferences. Most configurable devices I have (wireless router and extender etc) have the ability to save the configuration to a file. It should not be so hard to add a "Save preferences to file" option to the settings menu in SBS. And I think it would solve some of these issues.

Yes, yes - I know I can save settings folders. Incidentally that is easier in Linux than Windows, because in the latter it is a hidden system folder.

mherger
2009-10-04, 23:56

This sure is an important point. And it should have worked fine on
Windows/OSX. There's a known issue with Linux distributions. What have you
had problems with?

pablolie
2009-10-05, 07:51
My SB3s were stuck. This had happened once before in a 6.x upgrade, and based on experience I just decided to nix my installation and go for a clean install. I considered copying over the preference folders to the new directory, but then thought that perhaps something would end up broken given th fact they now reside somewhere slightly different - so I entered it manually. And then also gave in and entered my mSB.com account info manually into the 3 SB3s. Ever since 7.4 is a pleasure to work with with one slight exception - the volume control on the Controller is very very slow and unresponsive.

I have another 7.3.3 Linux install on the second partition of another machine, conceivably I could spend a day going through it and troubleshooting and documenting later in the week, if there'sything particular I should gather during the process I could do so.

andynormancx
2009-10-05, 08:45

This sure is an important point. And it should have worked fine on
Windows/OSX.
Yes, but due to the upgrade not also migrating the list of installed plugins it does a very good job of pretending to have lost a lot of settings.

All the people I know personally that upgraded to 7.4 (after the heavy handed prompting) had a bad experience, not because they lost any settings but because they _thought_ they had lost all the plugin settings. Unfortunately some of them then blew away their 7.4 installs in disgust and installed 7.3.3 from scratch, thus _really_ losing all their settings.

Phil Leigh
2009-10-05, 08:48
It's rather odd to think of a plugin as NOT being a "setting"... all other software I have that use plugins would carry them (and their settings!) across versions - assuming they are compaible of course!