PDA

View Full Version : Playing radio without local server

Philip Meyer
2009-10-04, 14:16
Tonight I tried to use Radio without a local server, and got nowhere.

I was last using a local server, but I switched off that server. I then thought I'd play some internet music using the fall-back MySqueezebox.com connection through Radio.

I'm not sure exactly what is meant to happen, to know for sure what exactly isn't working.

What I saw on the Radio is a blue signal indicator. Not sure what that symbol means.

None of the menus were different/hidden, although a lot of the things only have meaning to a local music source, none of which were available.

All things I tried to access resulted in a "Connecting ..." spinny, so I couldn't do anything. I couldn't get into App Gallery, My Apps, Internet Radio or Favorites.

Perhaps it's because I switched to 7.5/SVN? Maybe it's lost the MySqueezebox.com account and I need to go through setup again?

toby10
2009-10-04, 14:39
When working properly if SBS is off you should just have to go to Internet Radio and be presented with a "connect to MySB" option to select.

WiFi Icon:
Red = not connected to your network
Blue = connected to your network, but not connected to any server (SBS or MySB)
White = connected to your network and connected to a server (SBS or MySB)

peterw
2009-10-04, 14:44
When working properly if SBS is off you should just have to go to Internet Radio and be presented with a "connect to MySB" option to select.

There should be a bug on that. The Switch Library menu should offer MySB. We shouldn't have to remember weird backdoors like this.

Matt Wise
2009-10-04, 18:55
Sorry, wait. It sounds as if toby10 is correct peter. The correct action is that "if local server is unavailable/notresponding/etc, offer MySB as an option". There is going to be some more intelligence to this where we will auto-switch if there is no current playlist (as well as some other specific situations) -- but I don't think thats in there yet.

Phillip,
It sounds to me like your Baby not only couldn't connect to SBS (whether its 7.5, or 7.4, or 7.4.1... doesnt matter) but also could not connect to baby.mysqueezebox.com (production SqueezeNetwork). In this case it would be helpful to go to the Diagnostics page (settings -> advanced ->diagnostics) and see whether it can even connect to the internet. Perhaps something happened to the network stack that prevented it from getting to MySB.com.

One thing to clarify -- were you at any point using this Baby boom with the "Test SqueezeNetwork?" If so, you need to do a factory reset on the Baby first in order for it to create a proper connection to the production SN racks. This hit me the other day and confused the heck out of me as well.

Philip Meyer
2009-10-05, 00:08
>The correct action is that "if local server is unavailable/notresponding/etc,
>offer MySB as an option".
>
I thought the idea was that the music source was meant to me transparent to the user.

In a normal situation, I thought that the Radio should look like it is connected to both local server and MySqueezebox.com. So if there's no local server, it just uses the MySqueezebox.com connection instead.

>In this case it would be helpful to go to the Diagnostics page (settings ->
>advanced ->diagnostics) and see whether it can even connect to the
>internet. Perhaps something happened to the network stack that prevented
>it from getting to MySB.com.
>
I turned Baby on and went to diagnostics page. UI is really slow - somethings not right with it.

Diagnostics page showed MySqueezebox.com = No DNS.

>One thing to clarify -- were you at any point using this Baby boom
>with the "Test SqueezeNetwork?" If so, you need to do a factory reset on
>the Baby first in order for it to create a proper connection to the
>production SN racks. This hit me the other day and confused the heck out
>of me as well.
>
I have no idea what MySqueezebox.com server(s) I had the device connected to. After all, the players don't report what music source it's connected to.

There's a good chance I was connected to Test SqueezeNetwork (as in I may have had to authenticate with the server in order to get through setup), but I've not really tried using it to play back radio.

Doing a factory reset now.

toby10
2009-10-05, 03:38
[QUOTE=Philip Meyer;466867.......I have no idea what MySqueezebox.com server(s) I had the device connected to. After all, the players don't report what music source it's connected to.

There's a good chance I was connected to Test SqueezeNetwork (as in I may have had to authenticate with the server in order to get through setup), but I've not really tried using it to play back radio.......[/QUOTE]

I'd suggest going to BOTH of your MySB accounts online, see if Radio is showing up.
There are a number of reports of Radio & Touch connecting to multiple accounts, myself included. :)

General comment:
This all goes back to the earlier discussions in the Beta forums where switching servers and knowing which server one is currently connected too should be much simpler and much more intuitive.

gweempose
2009-10-05, 08:33
This all goes back to the earlier discussions in the Beta forums where switching servers and knowing which server one is currently connected too should be much simpler and much more intuitive.It does sound a little confusing for the average Joe. Hopefully, this issue will be fixed in a future update.