PDA

View Full Version : SB1 MAC corruption - help requested

jack0
2009-10-04, 14:04
What a day - I thought I would update my server to 7.4 and everything has gone wrong! I am now happily back on 7.3 (I'll address the upgrade issues separately). However, one of my Squeezebox 1's has had it's MAC address corrupted (FF.FF.FF.etc). How do I reset it to the correct address?

I found an old thread referring to a similar problem on a SB2
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=16532
but i don't seem to be able to change the address from the view settings screens.

BTW: The SB1 FW revision is 40.

Thanks in advance.

PS I have 6 boxes; 2xSB1, 2xSB2, 1xSB3, 1xduet - all the others are still OK.

Phil Leigh
2009-10-04, 21:50
What a day - I thought I would update my server to 7.4 and everything has gone wrong! I am now happily back on 7.3 (I'll address the upgrade issues separately). However, one of my Squeezebox 1's has had it's MAC address corrupted (FF.FF.FF.etc). How do I reset it to the correct address?

I found an old thread referring to a similar problem on a SB2
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=16532
but i don't seem to be able to change the address from the view settings screens.

BTW: The SB1 FW revision is 40.

Thanks in advance.

PS I have 6 boxes; 2xSB1, 2xSB2, 1xSB3, 1xduet - all the others are still OK.

It's in the setup screens of the SB1 I believe - can you force a Factory Reset?

jack0
2009-10-05, 05:18
Phil, thanks for your reply. I have tracked down the problem - it's a power thing!

First off the batteries in the IR controller were failing which didn't help. Then, when I managed to do a factory reset, the MAC address was set (although not to the same as before - and different to the one on the base of the unit!?!?). The unit finally connected the the network and slimserver (although with a default profile so the server now thinks this is a new SB).

However, a few mins into use the unit reset itself. And then again and again. This pointed the Engineer in me to look at the PSU and sure enough it was failing to regulate the power correctly. A quick swap over to another and all is OK again.

Cheers. Now back to the 7.4 install problems...

Phil Leigh
2009-10-05, 05:23
Phil, thanks for your reply. I have tracked down the problem - it's a power thing!

First off the batteries in the IR controller were failing which didn't help. Then, when I managed to do a factory reset, the MAC address was set (although not to the same as before - and different to the one on the base of the unit!?!?). The unit finally connected the the network and slimserver (although with a default profile so the server now thinks this is a new SB).

However, a few mins into use the unit reset itself. And then again and again. This pointed the Engineer in me to look at the PSU and sure enough it was failing to regulate the power correctly. A quick swap over to another and all is OK again.

Cheers. Now back to the 7.4 install problems...
Anything we can help with? (good catch on the psu!)