PDA

View Full Version : Wake On LAN

Philip Meyer
2009-10-04, 13:56
I don't think this is too clever at the moment.

I turned my Touch off, whilst it was connected to my local server (or at least the last thing I played on it was some local music).
I hibernated my PC (whilst cooking, because the cooker currently has a fault that causes the power to trip).

My PC needed to be offline for some time, so I decided to play some internet radio.

I turned on the Touch. This must have sent a Wake-On-LAN magic packet, because my server turned on.

This is not good - there's no way to attempt to use Touch without causing the local server to power on.

On Classic players, it only sends a WOL when attempting to connect/switch to a music source. It is possible to get to the setup screen (via left-arrow) whilst not connected, to select an alternative source (eg. MySqueezebox.com), without sending a WOL to the local music source.

Now that music library source switching is meant to be transparent on Touch/Radio, I don't think the WOL packets should be sent automatically when pressing power button, because there isn't the same obvious concept of being currently connected to a particular server. I think that only when I attempt to play something from a music source should it sent the WOL packet.

Does everyone agree? If so, I'll raise a bug report.

Phil

Phil Leigh
2009-10-05, 08:45
I think that only when I attempt to play something from a music source should it sent the WOL packet.

Does everyone agree? If so, I'll raise a bug report.

Phil

I agree.... very sensible

autopilot
2009-10-06, 01:53
But that's how it already works for me. If my server sleeps, and then i try and use the Touch, it offers me a choice of connecting to SBS or MySB. It only sent a WOL packet if i choose SBS. Not sure why its waking the server as soon as you try and do anything. I have had issues with the Touch (and controler) continuously waking my server though.

I often do this, whats the point in powering up my server for internet radio and other online services. It's also why i get so annoyed by having a different favourites list on SBS and MySB.

Phil Leigh
2009-10-06, 07:44
But that's how it already works for me. If my server sleeps, and then i try and use the Touch, it offers me a choice of connecting to SBS or MySB. It only sent a WOL packet if i choose SBS. Not sure why its waking the server as soon as you try and do anything. I have had issues with the Touch (and controler) continuously waking my server though.

I often do this, whats the point in powering up my server for internet radio and other online services. It's also why i get so annoyed by having a different favourites list on SBS and MySB.

I'll try it again...

Philip Meyer
2009-10-06, 15:36
>But that's how it already works for me. If my server sleeps, and then i
>try and use the Touch, it offers me a choice of connecting to SBS or
>MySB.

I tried Radio - I had a different effect.

When I powered on, it didn't wake up my local server.
I tried to access Favorites, which I believe should have tried connecting to my local SbS. However, it said it was attempting to connect to MySqueezebox.com.
It failed to connect, and the message said "Couldn't connect to MySqueezebox.com. If the problem persists, please check squeezebox server to confirm it is running properly."

Which is just bizzarre. If I was trying to connect to MySqueezebox.com, a local squeezebox server is irrelevant.

I will try Touch again later.

autopilot
2009-10-07, 00:40
Odd, powering on my Radio did wake my server! I guess it just tries to wake the last used server.

samstreak
2009-10-13, 15:09
Do you have it set to resume playing on power on? (Player settings, Audio drop-down, Power On Resume)

quote:
Odd, powering on my Radio did wake my server! I guess it just tries to wake the last used server.

Philip Meyer
2009-10-24, 00:20
>Do you have it set to resume playing on power on? (Player settings,
>Audio drop-down, Power On Resume)
>
I tried this again, on both Touch and Radio.

I put PC into Sleep mode, put Touch and Radio with no playlist, into Off mode.

As soon as I power on either Touch or Radio, the server woke up.

At first I thought that Touch power on may have been waking up server because it was set to control my Boom player, but I tried it again with it controlling itself, and it had the same effect.

marlo
2010-04-22, 21:52
I've got a problem with WOL too:
When I put my touch (connected to SBS) into standby (playing stopped), the SBS goes to sleep after 5min, just as I configured it to do. Very soon after that, the SBS wakes up again, then goes asleep after another 5 minutes, wakes up again, and so on. This is annoying because the SBS is in my bedroom and forces me to pull the plug out of the touch.

I have a radio too and that is working as expected - the SBS goes into standby 5 minutes after I put the radio into standby (or turn it off) and wakes up as soon as I start the radio.