PDA

View Full Version : Is 7.4 of any use for SB2/SB3 users?

gorman
2009-10-04, 07:46
Honestly at this point I would like a simple answer to a single question:

in a SB2/SB3 environment, what are the advantages of switching to 7.4? If any, that is.

toby10
2009-10-04, 08:15
None that I am aware of.

gorman
2009-10-04, 08:18
I'm wondering if Logitech has effectively EOLed pre-Duet stuff. There was still stuff being asked that involved SB2 and SB3... is there an official stance on this?
I've even received a notice of a bug on SB2 and SB3 being closed because it was fixed on the Boom...

BlueScreenJunky
2009-10-04, 08:35
From the Wiki :
Make it easier to understand and use the Squeezebox ecosystem
New look and new name for SqueezeNetwork
Add new services
-Facebook
-Flickr
Add new features
-New Squeezebox Server Control Panel for Windows, Squeezebox Console for Windows Home Server, and Squeezebox Preference Pane for OSX as a shortcut to common activities
-Official support for Czech, Polish, and Russian languages
Fix miscellaneous bugs

And a few "under the hood" changes that should eventually allow more flexibility. The server is independant from the hardware you use, and I think even if you're still using an old Slimp3 you should upgrade to 7.4.

sander
2009-10-04, 11:37
Based on what I've seen, unless you have a radio, regularly use Squeezenetwork or you really want to use some of the new apps, there's not much point in upgrading right now.

8.0 will be out in 3 months. Don't worry there'll be plenty of opportunities to upgrade in the near future. Personally I'm aiming for 8.1 and only if there's really cool stuff happening.

funkstar
2009-10-04, 11:38
I'm wondering if Logitech has effectively EOLed pre-Duet stuff. There was still stuff being asked that involved SB2 and SB3... is there an official stance on this?
I've even received a notice of a bug on SB2 and SB3 being closed because it was fixed on the Boom...
Well the SB3 is being replaced by the Touch, so maintaining the firmware will become less important. However, Boom, Receiver and Transporter all share the same basic hardware platform as the SB2/3, so continuing support for the SB2/3 won't be much additional work when making changes for the others based on the IP3K platform.

Although not actively maintained, the SliMP3 and SB1 are still supported in the newest software. You will see a reduction in the level of support for those players as they are a completely different architecture, but at the moment this is confined to the version of SBS that will run on the Touch (the protocol for these players takes far more processing power, something the Touch might striggle with).

I wouldn't start bemoaning the death of the SB2/3 just yet though :)

Oh and as for whether there is a need to upgrade: there are lots of improvements in the scanner and some database optimisations, so things should be quicker with 7.4 vs 7.3.x.

JJZolx
2009-10-04, 12:02
Honestly at this point I would like a simple answer to a single question:

in a SB2/SB3 environment, what are the advantages of switching to 7.4? If any, that is.

Not much advantage. There have been a lot of bug fixes since 7.3.x, but of course a lot of new ones have also been introduced with new code to support the Squeezebox Radio and the new SqueezeNetwork. There are some new scanning bugs, too, particularly when dealing with non-western characters in tags and file paths.

If you use SqueezeNetwork much (now MySqueezebox.com) then you're effectively forced to upgrade to the latest server software or else endure constant firmware updates on your SB2/3 as you go back and forth and the firmware offered by the local server is older than than offered by mysb.com.

I expect 7.4.1 to be out very soon, which should clear up the major 7.4 bugs, and would expect a 7.4.2 in the not too distant future to clear up more minor ones. If you can wait for 7.4.1 you might avoid some of the issue being experienced by those who have already upgraded.

mherger
2009-10-04, 12:36
> in a SB2/SB3 environment, what are the advantages of switching to 7.4?
> If any, that is.

On some systems the scanner can be considerably faster.

toby10
2009-10-04, 12:46
If you use SqueezeNetwork much (now MySqueezebox.com) then you're effectively forced to upgrade to the latest server software or else endure constant firmware updates on your SB2/3 as you go back and forth and the firmware offered by the local server is older than than offered by mysb.com.

My SB3 switches from SC7.3.3 to MySB and back again flawlessly, without the FW Update loop.
You will get the initial FW Update the first time you connect to MySB, but after that it doesn't update.
The only catch is the menu structure is a bit different between SC and MySB, like Music Services on SC are now in My Apps on MySB.