PDA

View Full Version : New Computer for SqueezeBox Server

1bobmay1
2009-10-04, 06:51
I am ready to replace my 6 year old PC (WIN XP) that is running my Squeezebox Server. Here are my requirements/configuration:

1) Needs to be a WIN or MAC O/S since I am using iTunes as my backbone
2) I have about 7,000 songs mostly in Apple Lossless format. Using about 145 GB of space
3) Machine will 95 % solely used for Squeezebox Server. A printer will be attached that will shared among MAC computers.
4) I have 3 squeezeboxes; 2 Version 2s and a version 3 - all wired

I am interested in getting recommendations on CPU type, memory etc. that can run my library size.

I'm guessing I can use a low end PC with a large HD but would like to get opinions from those who are very familiar with the demands of Squeezebox server.

Thanks.

eganders
2009-10-04, 08:10
How about keeping your current computer as your Squeezebox Server and getting a new one for computing?

pablolie
2009-10-04, 08:26
I am ready to replace my 6 year old PC (WIN XP) that is running my Squeezebox Server. Here are my requirements/configuration:

1) Needs to be a WIN or MAC O/S since I am using iTunes as my backbone
2) I have about 7,000 songs mostly in Apple Lossless format. Using about 145 GB of space
3) Machine will 95 % solely used for Squeezebox Server. A printer will be attached that will shared among MAC computers.
4) I have 3 squeezeboxes; 2 Version 2s and a version 3 - all wired

I am interested in getting recommendations on CPU type, memory etc. that can run my library size.

I'm guessing I can use a low end PC with a large HD but would like to get opinions from those who are very familiar with the demands of Squeezebox server.

Thanks.

See my sig, Shuttle offers both pre-built and semi-build computers. Only takes 27W, and I configured am X27D for a friend that runs Vista Home on it, and it runs well. Make sure to get 2G RAM for Vista.

The other option is to upgrade whatever components in your old PC may be obsolete.

jimzak
2009-10-04, 08:38
I just got this net-top and have a 2TB USB drive attached to it.

I couldn't beat the price.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883114074

Brand eMachines
Model EL1600-01
Recommended Usage Home / Home Office
Processor Intel Atom 230(1.6GHz)
Cache Per Processor 512KB L2 Cache
Memory 1GB DDR2
Hard Drive 160GB SATA
Optical Drive 1 18X DVD+/-R/RW SuperMulti Drive featuring LabelFlash Technology
Graphics Integrated Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950
Audio Embedded High-Definition Audio
Ethernet 10/100 LAN
Power Supply 220W
Keyboard PS/2 Keyboard
Mouse Optical Mouse
Operating System Windows XP Home
Motherboard
Chipset Intel 945GC
CPU
CPU Type Intel Atom
Installed Qty 1
CPU Speed 230 (1.6GHz)
L2 Cache Per CPU 512KB
Graphics
GPU/VPU Type Intel GMA 950
Graphics Interface Integrated video
Memory
Memory Capacity 1GB DDR2
Memory Spec 1GB x 1
Hard Drive
HDD Capacity 160GB
HDD Interface SATA
Optical Drive
Optical Drive Type DVD Super Multi
Optical Drive Spec 18X DVD+/-R/RW SuperMulti Drive featuring LabelFlash Technology
Write Max: 18X DVD+/R, 6XDVD-RW, 8X DVD+RW, 8X DVD +/-R DL, 12X DVD-RWM, 48X CD-R, 32 CD-RW
Read Max: 16X DVD-ROM, 48X CD-ROM
Supports Label Flash on disc printing (req. Label Flash media)
Audio
Audio Chipset Integrated
Communications
Modem 56K. V92
LAN Chipset Integrated
LAN Speed 10/100Mbps
Front Panel Ports
Front USB 4
Front Audio Ports 2
Back Panel Ports
COM 1
LPT 1
PS/2 2
Video Ports 1 VGA
Rear USB 4
RJ45 1 port
Rear Audio Ports 3 ports
Physical Spec
Dimensions 15" x 10.7" x 4.2"
Weight 12 lbs.
Manufacturer Warranty
Parts 1 year limited
Labor 1 year limited

1bobmay1
2009-10-04, 08:51
I have had intermittent problems with the machine. Noisy hard drives, music will drop out occasionally, etc. That is why I am replacing it. I don't want to wait for a complete failure before replacing it.

I use a Mac for all of my other computing.

gcurrie
2009-10-04, 11:41
You might look at a Windows Home Server. You can get one pre-built or build your own. The hardware requirements are not heavy at all, so you can end up with a small box that doesn't take much power (it's headless - no monitor or keyboard, and administered from any networked PC).

WHS boxes are meant to run 24/7, although you can have them sleep in the middle of the night if you wish. Nice added features are automated backup of all PCs (and Macs too if you buy a system from HP), remote access, media sharing and even home automation.

OEM copies of Windows Home Server run around $90, and complete systems run from $400-700.

epogo
2009-10-04, 11:52
Take a MacMini.... Pretty Cool Device for serving a Squeezebox Farm...
I use a 1,8 Ghz Mac Mini with 500 GB Space.

I like it...

Greetings epogo

mzpro5
2009-10-04, 12:05
You might look at a Windows Home Server. You can get one pre-built or build your own. The hardware requirements are not heavy at all, so you can end up with a small box that doesn't take much power (it's headless - no monitor or keyboard, and administered from any networked PC).

WHS boxes are meant to run 24/7, although you can have them sleep in the middle of the night if you wish. Nice added features are automated backup of all PCs (and Macs too if you buy a system from HP), remote access, media sharing and even home automation.

OEM copies of Windows Home Server run around $90, and complete systems run from $400-700.

I'm looking into a WMS and like this model

http://www.amazon.com/Acer-Aspire-AH340-UA230N-Home-Server/dp/B001WGX15W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1254682549&sr=1-1