PDA

View Full Version : 7.4 not happy - gone back to 7.3

iisfaq
2009-10-02, 22:15
I have installed 7.4 twice and I have found some problems and am not happy with it.

First off I am running SqueezeCenter on Windows Server 2008.

On 7.3 it works without a problem with Music IP running as a service on my Windows 2008 Server. On 7.4 it stops while importing from the Music IP Library with an unexpected error has occured.

Also I listen to a lot of music through the Duet Controller.

On 7.4 I experience timeouts and clicks and gaps in the music and loss of audio all the time for 100ms or so. Every few seconds during playback, including some rebuffering messages.

On 7.3 I never have any of these. I removed 7.4 and installed 7.3 and everything works without glitches, but I do have these issues on 7.4 every time.

Has anyone else experienced this?

I also found that the SqueezePlay was sort of corrupted saying it was wanting to connect to "Server" which was what I originally named my Library when it was 7.3, but with 7.4 I replaced it with "Chris's Music"

I found that you could sometimes get a "choose player" menu item and then I could find the right library and other times it was missing.

Also every time that the DUET controller restarts I would get a message saying I have just upgraded to 7.4 and have to click on Continue. I restarted it about 10 times - still the same message every time.

I will post some bugs tomorrow but I really do not want to go back to 7.4 at the moment since 7.3 is working so well for me.

Gitfinger
2009-10-02, 22:32
I had what's probably the same problem with the scanner failing due to an error when doing the MusicIP scan.
The latest build of 7.4.1 fixed the scanning problem I was having (defect #14470).

Everything else has been working for me, though I'm still struggling with all the changed terminology (time will cure this).

iisfaq
2009-10-02, 22:55
I had what's probably the same problem with the scanner failing due to an error when doing the MusicIP scan.
The latest build of 7.4.1 fixed the scanning problem I was having (defect #14470).

Everything else has been working for me, though I'm still struggling with all the changed terminology (time will cure this).

I think I will retry with the latest builds prior to actually submitting any bugs - thanks for the info on the #14470 bug...

Chris

86atc250r
2009-10-03, 09:14
Also every time that the DUET controller restarts I would get a message saying I have just upgraded to 7.4 and have to click on Continue. I restarted it about 10 times - still the same message every time.

Were you connected to a SB2 or SB3 that requires you hold down the brightness button in order to update the firmware?

I have several different devices on my network and found that with the upgrade to 7.4 if I booted up and connected to one of my SB3's that I had not yet upgraded the firmware on I would get this message on the SBC - as if I were standing there looking at it's VFD.

On 7.4 I experience timeouts and clicks and gaps in the music and loss of audio all the time for 100ms or so. Every few seconds during playback, including some rebuffering messages.

I get some audio anomalies occasionally while playing back on the SBC with 7.4. No biggie though, especially since it is clear they're working on this functionality (which is still in beta) --- now I can listen to Pandora and Rhapsody (one or the other of which didn't work at all before). It's just a matter of time before playback on the SBC works well - I'm willing to wait.

wilduet
2009-10-04, 09:59
Whith the new 7.4 I get the same sh*t as in the past when I first connected my Duet to the SqueezeBox: impossible to make any connection. My Squeezebox is not connected, and I cannot get the controller connected.

I have a lot of network-devices, but none of these cause so many troubles as the Duet-devices do. I think that I've used the Duet for about 40 hours in the past few months. The hours that I spend to make it work (sometimes) are almost the same (at least, that's how I feel about it).

This is definitely the worse purchase I have done in 5 years.

gcurrie
2009-10-04, 11:29
I've been running on WHS (aka Windows Server 2003) with no serious issues since release. Before that, I had been running 7.4 beta since June, and there were certainly issues then.

I installed SBS before I actually purchased my Duet, in order to get comfortable with the system. So I never had 7.3x installed. It appears that there have been many problems with migrating from 7.3x to 7.4 - both in actual code AND in user expectations (where did this feature get moved?).

The roughest area for me was the Controller code upgrade. Some of the beta firmwares required a lot of resetting.