PDA

View Full Version : Apple Airport Extreme w/ Guest network: problem with accessing SB server with iPeng

Sam Lowry
2009-10-02, 19:58
Wasn't sure if this was best posted here or on the Apple forums. I recently bought a new Apple Airport Extreme router. I'm replacing an older Airport Extreme. This time I created a "Guest Network" which lets me have what I assume is basically a virtual secondary network for guests to use and my iPhones/ipod. On their own, they seem to be working great. I have static ip (10.0.1.?) addresses for everything on my main network, and DHCP (171.???.???.???) on the guest one.

Here's my problem which I only discovered because of the iPeng iPhone app. I recently bought the newest version (1.2) and it works great if my server computer and the phone are on the same network. But, I want the iPhone to be on the guest network and leave the server on my main network. I tried adding all variations of the server's ip address as the instructions describe (10.0.1.2, 10.0.1.2:9000 and http://10.0.1.2:9000) but apparently because the iphone is on the guest network, it isn't letting me do it.

The question: Can I access a device/computer on a different wireless network? And how is it done?

I realize now that if this is possible, I could have a lot more devices on my guest network so I don't add more ip conflicts on my main network.

Thanks!
SL

pippin
2009-10-03, 07:06
I'm not familiar with AE, but from what you describe I believe your "Guest Network" is a demilitarized zone that only has access to the internet.
You might have to open a port on the router to the outside world to allow access to teh server (TCP on port 9000).
Maybe Airport has an option to only open a port towards the guest network.

You would still have to configure your server's IP address manually in iPeng since the server detection broadcast will certainly not work.