PDA

View Full Version : re: new website - please get rid of then annoying "need help?" talking cartoon

dbackman
2009-10-02, 18:35
I very much like the Squeezebox products, but the new talking chick on the website is beyond annoying. Can someone please ask the folks running the home page to NOT load that craplet unless the user asks for it?

That talking cartoon is driving me away from the logitechsqueezebox.com site.

mlsstl
2009-10-02, 18:58
I had missed that - I usually go straight to the forums.

However, you're right. The cartoon is a first class annoyance. (Remember all of the "kind" comments about Microsoft's talking paper clip...?)

ADVin
2009-10-02, 21:07
Or, at the very, very least, make the cancellation of it stick. I stop her, go to another page....and she returns!! Arrgghhhh!!!!!

SuperQ
2009-10-03, 11:22
Yes, please get rid of it. It's detracts attention from reading about the products. I saw it yesterday when I was trying to get a co-worker to buy a squeezebox. His reaction was to almost immediately close the window to get rid of it and not buy one.

Also, what's up with the stupid "click to launch" image on the product page? It's a huge waste of a 21kb jpg that fits all the data, but doesn't let you read it.

The squeezebox product pages used to be great. Now they're covered in crappy stock photos of people pretending to enjoy things.

Ikabob
2009-10-03, 11:44
Lighten up, I think she' s cute.

dsdreamer
2009-10-03, 12:13
Lighten up, I think she' s cute.

The proof of the pudding is whether she drives down sales of SB products. I would expect this to be the case, but since so many other things are changing at the moment, it will be hard to isolate Codebaby's contribution to the public perception of this product line. Hopefully, someone gathers statistics on the average time to dismiss her when she pops up.

The usability of any company's website is the public's first impression of the likely usability of its products.

Ikabob
2009-10-03, 13:33
You know, I think the Squeeze system is awesome technology. I have been listening to so much fantastic music and it goes from room to room...thanks to Logitech's products. I am a newbie here and I have been able to enjoy 7.4 with no problems. True, I use the basics by listening to many radio stations and some of the music services. I have read a lot of probls that some people are having and I feel for them. I think that there are so many variables as to why they are having problems that to blame them all on Logitech and/or 7.4 is unfair. When you read forums like this many times only those with complaints chime in and for every one of them there are hundreds or more that feel like I do and are VERY pleased and VERY impressed with Logitech and their awesome technology. The more complaints the more workers for an industry become discouraged. It is fasionable these days to be negative and complain.... Sometimes rudely. I say try to live with the cute little girl and let Logitech be Logitech and continue to produce awesome products. IMHO

ADVin
2009-10-03, 16:03
The proof of the pudding is whether she drives down sales of SB products. I would expect this to be the case, but since so many other things are changing at the moment, it will be hard to isolate Codebaby's contribution to the public perception of this product line. Hopefully, someone gathers statistics on the average time to dismiss her when she pops up.

The usability of any company's website is the public's first impression of the likely usability of its products.I really doubt she will "drive down sales", and will probably help. The general public likes such things. Those that frequent support forums generally don't represent the general public.

I still don't like her - she's irritating!!

autopilot
2009-10-03, 16:06
I'm as big a Squeezebox fan as anyone, utterly amazing products and i will continue to buy and promote them. Esspecially the new ones which are fantastic.

But the codebaby is just creepy and very patronising. Patronising to existing users, new users and the hardworking developers who put so much effort into making a product that people take seriously.

jdoering
2009-10-04, 11:28
The usability of any company's website is the public's first impression of the likely usability of its products.

This seems like a stretch. Maybe for technology companies (like Logitech) it has a bit more bearing; but in general I don't think there's a clear correlation. Great products sometimes have horrible or non-existent websites and conversely pretty good websites can back bad products. I would expect online reviews and commentary, Amazon reviews, in-store placement, etc to have a bigger impact on new users finding Squeezeboxes that Logitech's site. But of course I'm just guessing.

I think the attention to Codebaby on the forums is disproportionate to the impact she'll have on new customers.

-Jeff

snarlydwarf
2009-10-04, 11:55
as annoying as I think she is, I have to remember I'm not the target audience: the target audience is "people who have no real idea what a Squeezebox is and why it can change their music listening so much".

I can see she might be helpful in that instance: not necessarily 'appealing' to people but at least calling attention to the product and providing some information that is hard to express in a typical product information sheet.

So, yeah, goofy, but quite likely productive in expanding the customer base.

andynormancx
2009-10-04, 14:16
When it comes down to it, web pages that suddenly start playing any sort of audio without the user asking for it are just plain rude.

autopilot
2009-10-04, 14:47
I would expect online reviews and commentary, Amazon reviews, in-store placement, etc to have a bigger impact on new users finding Squeezeboxes that Logitech's site. But of course I'm just guessing.

I think the attention to Codebaby on the forums is disproportionate to the impact she'll have on new customers.

-Jeff

Agreed, I would think thats probaby true.

bluegaspode
2009-10-04, 23:00
The proof of the pudding is whether she drives down sales of SB products.

I guess a company like logitech does A/B-testing, before making such 'interesting' changes.
At least we can read the the UI-changes of the controllers were tested and evaluated on target groups, why wouldn't they do with their web-page ?

At least I hope, that they not only think but have a proof that this animation helps people come across their sites.