PDA

View Full Version : Ipeng and Ethernet connected squeezebox

nordvest
2009-10-02, 15:56
Hi,
This might be a stupid question, but here it goes:

My Squeezebox Classic is connected to my (wireless) router with an ethernet cable. I`ll get a Ipod Touch in a cuple of days and I wondered if it is gonna cause problems that I use a hardwired connection to my Squuezebox when I use the Ipeng app for he Ipod. Does the Squuezebox have to recieve it`s data via wireless for Ipeng to work or doesn`t it matter?

pippin
2009-10-02, 16:12
Hi,
This might be a stupid question, but here it goes:

My Squeezebox Classic is connected to my (wireless) router with an ethernet cable. I`ll get a Ipod Touch in a cuple of days and I wondered if it is gonna cause problems that I use a hardwired connection to my Squuezebox when I use the Ipeng app for he Ipod. Does the Squuezebox have to recieve it`s data via wireless for Ipeng to work or doesn`t it matter?

Most of my Squeezeboxes are wired and work just fine.

Well, you obviously need WiFi to get your iPod touch connected to your network.
Apart from that, your iPod doesn't have to talk to the Squeezebox directly, it needs to talk to the server, which is either Squeezebox Server (SqueezeCenter) or MySqueezebox.com (SqueezeNetwork).
The only thing you have to make sure is that your server is on the same subnet as your iPod or the server autodetection doesn't work (e.g. NOT 192.168.0.x vs. 192.168.1.x) but that's usually the case for standard installations.

nordvest
2009-10-02, 16:17
Thanks,
I have wifi so that`s not a problem. The only reason I use ethernet is because of some buffering problems when I play flac files.
If I understand you correctly this will cause no obvious problems and Ipeng will work without any extra hassle.

I guess i`ll just buy it and try and if it doesn`t work I`ll just post a new question on this excellent forum :)

pippin
2009-10-02, 16:36
Thanks,
I have wifi so that`s not a problem. The only reason I use ethernet is because of some buffering problems when I play flac files.
If I understand you correctly this will cause no obvious problems and Ipeng will work without any extra hassle.

I guess i`ll just buy it and try and if it doesn`t work I`ll just post a new question on this excellent forum :)

Good idea :)

cunobelinus@mac.com
2009-10-03, 12:19
Perhaps a little more reassurance necessary? I don't have any
connection with iPeng other than that I'm an extremely happy user.
(It's transformed my Slimserver/Squeezeserver experience, in fact,
which was previously inducing ever increasing frustration at it's
multiple clunkinesses). My network is exactly the arrangement you
describe and for exactly the same reasons (except that I use aiff and
alac rather than flac). It is, in addition, wired via homeplug
ethernet over mains, so it would have some further excuses to go wrong
- but it doesn't (touch wood). Quite the reverse. The whole
arrangement is superb. Go for it!

On 3 Oct 2009, at 00:17, nordvest wrote:

>
> Thanks,
> I have wifi so that`s not a problem. The only reason I use ethernet is
> because of some buffering problems when I play flac files.
> If I understand you correctly this will cause no obvious problems and
> Ipeng will work with out any extra hassle.
>
> I guess i`ll just buy it and try and if it doesn`t work I`ll just post
> a new question on this excellent forum :)
>
>
> --
> nordvest
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> nordvest's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=11427
> View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=68951
>
>

nordvest
2009-10-03, 13:12
Reassurance very appricated :)

I hope it will work.It looks vey user friendly and impressing from the screenshots and videos I have seen.

nordvest
2009-10-13, 11:39
Have tested it for a while now and it works very well. No problems at all with the install and it detected settings and everything seamlessly.

Sometimes I have to start it two times to connected but that`s just minor issue.

All in all; very impressed and I recommend it highly!!