PDA

View Full Version : SBS 7.4/Trackstat 2.9

AladdinSane
2009-10-01, 15:57
Hi guys,

This to report about a weird issue I am having with SBS 7.4 and Trackstat (2.9). I’ll try to be as brief as I can (!).

I upgraded from 7.3.3 to 7.4. SBS rescanned the library… all fine. I checked my prefs… all there. Then I noticed additional plugins were off (I use several by Erland plus other stuff). I installed them, rebooted the server and… it wouldn’t boot up and the PC would stop responding. Checked Resource Manager and noticed that mysqld.exe had spiked up to 100% usage and got stuck there (first time I left it hanging there for about 15 minutes… so I guess it was just stuck in a loop). So I killed mysqld.exe and the server aborted. Then I started it safe mode, disabled trackstat and everything went back to normal. I tried many, many different things but to make this short let’s just say I went radical on the problem.

I uninstalled everything, erased all prefs, erased all folders (so yes, I had to reconfigure all my devices from scratch!). Re-installed 7.4. I launched it but aborted first scan of the library (as default library is not the right one). I configured all the parameters, re-installed all the additional plug-ins (including trackstat), rebooted and… everything was fine. All the plugins were there, everything was working.

So I launch the main scan. While it’s scanning (I have about 23k songs so it takes a bit), I check and reconfigure all the plugins and prefs... no problems. But then, as soon as the scan is over, everything goes south again: mysqld.exe kicks in (as, I guess it should, after a rescan?) but gets stuck again at 100%. Stays there indefinitely (let’s say more than 20 minutes). So I kill it, but this time the server doesn’t shut down. I check the plugin setting page and trackstat is installed. I try using and it works! (I restored my old stats as well as trying inputting new ones).

At that’s pretty much where I am now. Whenever I perform any kind of rescan on the library or reboot SBS while trackstat is installed, Mysqld gets stuck and freezes the machine but now killing it doesn’t prevent SBS from starting up successfully (and trackstat from working).

Does anyone have any idea how I can fix this?

erland
2009-10-01, 21:48
I think it's a bug in TrackStat but I haven't had the time to look at it yet. As a temporary solution you can disable the refresh operations in TrackStat after rescans and startup, this is controlled by the "Startup refresh" and "Rescan refresh" options in the TrackStat settings page.

The effect of this is that if a file is moved or renamed, you will loose the TrackStat statistics for that particular track. As long as you don't move or rename tracks you should be fine.

lrossouw
2009-10-01, 21:53
I'm running Trackstat, and I've seen that the server (7.4) takes quite some time become available to start up and uses up a lot of PC resources while doing so. This may be related to this?

In my case if you leave it the server eventually starts up (after some minutes).

erland
2009-10-01, 21:58
I'm running Trackstat, and I've seen that the server (7.4) takes quite some time become available to start up and uses up a lot of PC resources while doing so. This may be related to this?

Yes, it's the same problem, TrackStat runs a refresh operation at startup to synchronize it's table with the Squeezebox Server database tables. At the moment there is a SQL statement in that refresh operation that's not optimized for some setups. I think the major problem is if you have a larger library because it works pretty good in my own setup.

Chunkywizard
2009-10-01, 23:38
Aha, this sounds like this is my issue on iTunes9 that I reported in another thread. Is that the conclusion you are working to erland or had you not made the connection?

CW

AladdinSane
2009-10-02, 01:12
Hi Erland. Done what you said, everything's peachy now. Thanks.
If you need logs or anything about this issue, just let me know.

vagskal
2009-10-02, 01:27
I think it's a bug in TrackStat but I haven't had the time to look at it yet. As a temporary solution you can disable the refresh operations in TrackStat after rescans and startup, this is controlled by the "Startup refresh" and "Rescan refresh" options in the TrackStat settings page.

Is there a way to manually do this without having access to the web interface? I have a large library and I have waited an hour or more for SS to start. Or is there a way of preventing SS from reinstalling the plugin (simply removing the plugin from the user cache does not work)?

pg5555
2009-10-02, 17:19
Hi Erland

FYI I'm now getting similar symptoms to AlladinSane. I'm running SB Server 7.4 with Trackstat 2.9 and a library of about 20,000 tracks (but no iTunes). A few minutes after my daily Squeezebox re-scan starts, the MySQL process goes to 100% CPU utilisation and my Duet Controller can no longer connect to the SB Server. It stays this way for about 14 minutes, then everything returns to normal.

The only other plugin I have installed is DynamicPlayList.

Thanks for the temporary workaround to disable the refresh operations in TrackStat, which I'll try now.

Best regards
Peter G

bonze
2009-10-03, 09:39
Is there a way to manually do this without having access to the web interface? I have a large library and I have waited an hour or more for SS to start. Or is there a way of preventing SS from reinstalling the plugin (simply removing the plugin from the user cache does not work)?

There's a parameter in the trackstat.prefs file for 'refresh_startup:' - try changing it to a zero ??

vagskal
2009-10-03, 10:34
There's a parameter in the trackstat.prefs file for 'refresh_startup:' - try changing it to a zero ??

Thanks! I found the parameter in the plugin.pm file and I think that fix did the trick.

Blisteringblue
2009-10-04, 03:54
Thanks! I found the parameter in the plugin.pm file and I think that fix did the trick.

Many thanks both of you, I've found it (missed it at first), SBS still fails on port 9000 but it passes on 9090 so it starts !!

Hopefully the full fix will be about soon.

Even better, checked again and Port 9000 working too !!

vagskal
2009-10-04, 04:08
Many thanks both of you, I've found it (missed it at first), SBS still fails on port 9000 but it passes on 9090 so it starts !!

Hopefully the full fix will be about soon.

Even better, checked again and Port 9000 working too !!

Good that you have found it. Perhaps a restart of the computer will make it work OK. I just wanted to mention that I in that file also disabled the default option to refresh after rescans since I do automatic rescans.

When I tried to restore my old TrackStat data from a backup file, SBS (mysql) froze like before. I will have to wait for a fix from Erland until I restore the data.

Blisteringblue
2009-10-04, 05:46
Good that you have found it. Perhaps a restart of the computer will make it work OK. I just wanted to mention that I in that file also disabled the default option to refresh after rescans since I do automatic rescans.

When I tried to restore my old TrackStat data from a backup file, SBS (mysql) froze like before. I will have to wait for a fix from Erland until I restore the data.

Yes, now you can get into the plugin settings I have disabled both rescan options. I've not tried a restore so I'll wait, just happy it starts up without another full reload.