PDA

View Full Version : Nice Job on 7.4

Bradley
2009-10-01, 06:33
My upgrade on Ubuntu 9.04 went seamlessly. Like most folks, I didn't like losing my squeezecenter preferences. But in the end, it's a nice product and very stable.

Congratulations on a nice job with this release.

*B

moot
2009-10-02, 07:03
On Debian I just copied /var/lib/squeezecenter/* to /var/lib/squeezeboxserver/ and 7.4 seemed happy to use them.

I sure wasn't in the mood to tweak every setting again!

volpone
2009-10-02, 07:20
On Debian I just copied /var/lib/squeezecenter/* to /var/lib/squeezeboxserver/ and 7.4 seemed happy to use them.

I sure wasn't in the mood to tweak every setting again!

I'm considering 7.3.3 to 7.4 upgrade on a RaedyNas Pro (x86), OS is "Debian like" Linux.
- Anybody to confirm the [moot] migration procedure (ie copy var/lib/squeezecenter to squeezeboxserver new directory) is applicable to preserve presets and plugins configuration ?
- Any automatic migration on install ?
- Alternatives ?

Regards

oddquad
2009-10-02, 19:58
Just adding my +1 to the thanks for the work put in to Squeezebox Server 7.4.

My installation could not have been easier or more successful. ALL my plugins, services (now Apps), and preferences came along for the ride.

After a complete rescan, everything was working just as I expected/wanted.

For such a major retooling, I am pleased at how well it turned out!

Great Job Team!

Mitch Harding
2009-10-02, 21:50
Same here. And the web interface seems significantly faster to me
than previously. Great work!

On Fri, Oct 2, 2009 at 9:58 PM, oddquad
<oddquad.3zgmpz1254538801 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
>
> Just adding my +1 to the thanks for the work put in to Squeezebox Server
> 7.4.
>
> My installation could not have been easier or more successful. ALL my
> plugins, services (now Apps), and preferences came along for the ride.
>
> After a complete rescan, everything was working just as I
> expected/wanted.
>
> For such a major retooling, I am pleased at how well it turned out!
>
> Great Job Team!
>
>
> --
> oddquad
>
> Squeezebox Controller+ iPhone w/iPeng (Bless you, Pippin!) > Squeezebox
> 3 > Garden Hose > Sunbeam Model 5 Mixmaster > Free-Range Chicken > Two
> Soup Cans and a String > Kazoo
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> oddquad's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=15539
> View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=68805
>
>

sebp
2009-10-03, 02:20
I'm considering 7.3.3 to 7.4 upgrade on a RaedyNas Pro (x86), OS is "Debian like" Linux.
Hi volpone,

If you don't bother ssh'ing to your Pro to rename/delete some file, go ahead.
Else, there's currently a bug (14451 (https://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=14451)) with the ReadyNAS builds that could cause you headaches.

volpone
2009-10-05, 04:38
Hi volpone,

If you don't bother ssh'ing to your Pro to rename/delete some file, go ahead.
Else, there's currently a bug (14451 (https://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=14451)) with the ReadyNAS builds that could cause you headaches.

Thank you Sebastien,
I'm going to wait a little bit.
However any idea about presets, favorites, and plugins migration ?

Regards

tedfroop
2009-10-05, 06:48
Moot has the right idea. Copy/move the prefs directory. I do it the retentive way though and install, rename the new directory so I can put it back in case of weirdness. Rename the prefs directory, check everything out. If everything is ok then carry on, if not, put the original directory back and try whatever you had a problem with.

Good plan to check that all the plugins are 7.4 compatible before you start though.

davidmac27
2009-10-05, 08:05
I agree. I have previously been very critical of earlier builds but 7.4 is very nice!

sebp
2009-10-05, 09:09
Copy/move the prefs directory. I do it the retentive way though and install, rename the new directory so I can put it back in case of weirdness.
That's not that easy when you're running your SqueezeCenter/Squeezebox Server on a NAS, like volpone does, since you have by default no access to the root filesystem of the O.S. lying behind.

Settings are normally kept when you upgrade from a release to another.
At worse, you lose some plugin functionnality, because an update's required to support the new server version.
But due to the software name change and intrinsic nature of the packaging system that's involved here, they aren't.

AFAIK, previous SqueezeCenter settings aren't deleted from the ReadyNAS when you upgrade from 7.3 to 7.4. If I have enough time, I'll see if I can cook some kind of addon that could dig them up...

jimwillsher
2009-10-06, 06:06
7.4 is the best release yet, IMHO. I run on a headless Ubuntu box (running under Hyper-V on Server 2008 R2), driving two SB3s and a Boom. This time I decided not to retain settings, I just set it up afresh.

And, this is the first time I've switched from Fishbone. The standard GUI was always painfully slow, but it seems much more slick this time. I can still cause it to freeze occasioanlly, but that's more likely to be an IE8 thing.

So, well done guys. My fears over the Logitech buyout/takeover/merge/sale were unfounded, the software goes from strength to strength.

Well done to all the hardworking developers.

Jim

sinking_fast
2009-10-06, 08:00
Just want to echo what's been said; This release fixed a number of problems experienced with my Duet. Album art now appears YES! and the overall feel and operation of the controller is hugely improved. Many thanks!

davidmac27
2009-10-07, 16:45
Uggg...spoke too soon. The upgrade to 7.4 from 7.3.3 went fine. The remote worked fine for several days. Then I went to use it and had 3 items on the main menu. The light on the receiver was off. I power cycled the receiver and it flashed a few colors and then the light turned off. I power cycled the remote also. I tried to connect the remote to my wireless router and it couldn't find it. So I did a hard reset of the receiver and the remote and got it going again (I have had to do this about 100 times in the 2 years I have had this product). Really.

Am I the only one that seems to have problems getting the remote and receiver setup unless a PC is on? If I leave my Windows XP PC off during this procedure, I can't seem to get it working. It's like it doesn't like to be setup from scratch with only the Squeezebox server (over the net) available.

???

NikolajC
2009-10-09, 11:24
+1

I really enjoy the 7.4 release. The button semantics included. Love that I can just center-click to play music/podcasts. Good work all.

jbraveman
2009-10-09, 15:59
+1
Rescanning and GUI are faster. New artwork is picked up without a clear and rescan.