PDA

View Full Version : Having a few 7.4 problems

Flying Point
2009-09-30, 15:31
Having a few problems with my Duet and 7.4. I'm running on a Mac with OS X 10.6 :

* Downloaded the program last night and started the scan of my library. (About 10,000 flacs) It crashed my system sometime in the night. When I rebooted, everything seemed to be scanned, but the artwork wasn't showing.

* Hit rescan and went to work. Same story. Crashed the system & artwork wouldn't show.

* I'm now rescanning (clear and rescan) and it's taking a very, very, very long time.

Any suggestions? I think it's great that the slimdevices/squeezebox crew took a swing at a BIG upgrade with future upgrade abilities -- let me know if there's a scan log or something that I can send to help.

Benefactor
2009-09-30, 15:57
I'm in the same boat - as are a few others I'm sure.

I had a hard time completing a full music scan with the previous versions of squeeze center, but after fighting my way through several attempts was able to get a full scan completed.

With version 7.4 it just doesn't seem possible to complete the scan...I don't really feel like wading through the scanning logs and troubleshooting to figure out what the problem is right now. All I know is that something that had worked in the past no longer does.

Tech support was unfortunately not as helpful in resolving my issue as they have been in the past with other inquiries. After suggesting that I might try to remount the external hard drive containing my music into my main computer and seeing if that made any difference, I gave up (at least for today).

My computer has locked up several times today while dealing with this "upgrade"...I wish I had come to the forums first and read some of the feedback here before I opted to install 7.4. I have never even used squeeze network before, so I'm assuming the upgrade was completely unnecessary in the first place aside from running the newest version of the software.

FWIW, I currently own three squeezebox products (two booms and a classic), and I consider them the best things since sliced-bread...with that said, this new firmware leaves me feeling a little miffed.

Flying Point
2009-09-30, 16:34
Well, I've been on the phone with support for an hour and counting. The Level #1 suggested firewall.

When I told him that my firewall is off, he transferred me to Level #2. That was 15 minutes ago.

pski
2009-09-30, 17:37
Having a few problems with my Duet and 7.4. I'm running on a Mac with OS X 10.6 :

* Downloaded the program last night and started the scan of my library. (About 10,000 flacs) It crashed my system sometime in the night. When I rebooted, everything seemed to be scanned, but the artwork wasn't showing.

* Hit rescan and went to work. Same story. Crashed the system & artwork wouldn't show.

* I'm now rescanning (clear and rescan) and it's taking a very, very, very long time.

Any suggestions? I think it's great that the slimdevices/squeezebox crew took a swing at a BIG upgrade with future upgrade abilities -- let me know if there's a scan log or something that I can send to help.

It might be that your system went nite-nite during the process. Crashed the system? Was there a symptom?

As elsewhere, I would suggest re-installing and using your power settings to disable sleep.

My lib is a little under 10k alacs and a little under 1K "albums" and it takes a little over 30 minutes under 7.4. The same lib under RC7 on a VM with only 1GB takes only two minutes longer. This is on an external NAS so your times should be shorter, especially since a Mac is better in EVERY way.

P

"Don't be blamin'" - Malibu's Most Wanted

Flying Point
2009-09-30, 18:06
Ended up speaking to a very helpful Level #2. After about an hour of trying different things, it would seem that snow leopard/7.4/flac files sometimes leads to a bug somewhere in the scanning process.

In the meantime, I'm going to point squeezebox to my mp3 folder. It worked fine. Hopefully they'll find the flac scanning issue soon.