PDA

View Full Version : Logitech is messing up Squeezebox

rh2600
2009-09-30, 13:14
NB: I write this because I have a deep respect for Slim Devices, your products, your customer relationship. I want you to know that from my point of view Logitech are making mistakes with this brand and they need to sort it out.

At first I was disappointed with the 'app' fascination announced this morning - it's cargo cult stuff - and logitech isn't the only one guilty of trying to ape Apple - but it's certainly one that's really pushing things to a level of absurdity...music services as 'apps' appears to be taking the consumer proposition to a level of abstraction that is very confusing and unclear.

The renaming of everything *again* also is a dangerous move - witness wikis, blogs, forums - essentially the sum total of effort that's been put into documenting, discussion, explaining, solving and developing the Squeezebox landscape all being cast out of relevancy in terms of search keywords etc... - some of the owned content can be updated, but the earned/user created content out there on the web will likely never get updated.

I've also been concerned to see that www.squeezebox.com being broken for quite a few hours now... (sorry, I'm wrong about this!) so I resorted to slimdevices.com which now bounces through to logitechsqueezebox.com (which is a unnecessarily complex domain name) - and I'm greeted with this hokey amateur 3d model thing? Does no-one at logitech remember the MS Office Paperclip?

Seriously. The smart, intelligent, innovative brand that Squeezebox is, is now starting to behave in hokey, cheap, bewildered and confusing manner. It feels horrible. I'm sad to see this happen.

I realise that much of this is locked and loaded, fair enough, but please at least shut down the 3d model thing - it's laughable... :(

funkstar
2009-09-30, 13:34
That stupid 3D animated person on the website looks to be marketings fault, apparently the developers had no idea about it until this morning either.

Unlike with Slimdevices, the people that build the products are not the ones who are marketing them.

As for the naming, I think the opinion is that Squeeze~~~~~~ naming was wrong, it should have been Squeezebox ~~~~~~ when 7.0 was released.

JJZolx
2009-09-30, 13:40
Are you saying Squeezebox has gone from being cool Mac dude to dorky PC guy?

Yeah.

aubuti
2009-09-30, 13:41
A lot of good points, and I'm sure a lot of other "SB old-timers" agree with you on this. Unfortunately this may be part and parcel of trying to reach a mass market (myself, I'm perfectly happy owning a niche product).

Just fyi, I don't think that www.squeezebox.com has anything whatsoever to do with our beloved SBs. The old home site was www.slimdevices.com, and the new one is www.logitechsqueezebox.com. Of course, both direct you to the same dreadful animation....

snarlydwarf
2009-09-30, 13:45
I've also been concerned to see that www.squeezebox.com being broken for quite a few hours now...

The domain name "squeezebox.com" is not related to the music player line named "Squeezebox"... it actually predates that by several years, since the domain was registerd in 1995.

If you were going there, you weren't going to a Logitech site, but actually an advertising site, since the original owner of the domain seems to have long ago given up their product (which was video capture and encoding).

Squeezebox.com from 1997:
http://web.archive.org/web/19970113103357/http://www.squeezebox.com/

From 2006:
http://web.archive.org/web/20061109041716/http://www.squeezebox.com/

I don't see any relation to logitech at all there except the "helpful" links.

JJZolx
2009-09-30, 13:52
The domain name "squeezebox.com" is not related to the music player line named "Squeezebox"... it actually predates that by several years, since the domain was registerd in 1995.

Logitech would be well served to find the owner of the domain and seeing that they get some kind of web page up that isn't broken and obviously isn't related to the Squeezebox product.

mherger
2009-09-30, 14:01
> Logitech would be well served to find the owner of the domain and
> seeing that they get some kind of web page up that isn't broken and
> obviously isn't related to the Squeezebox product.

We did. We'd be more than happy to fill that space with something useful.

MeSue
2009-09-30, 14:57
Personally, I think Squeezebox Server is the best name yet. It is what it says it is and makes perfect sense.

That animation, OTOH... cringe!

Too bad they couldn't nab the squeezebox.com domain...

eq72521
2009-09-30, 15:07
I hadn't seen the animation on my own, thanks to FlashBlock. I had to specifically enable it to see what everyone was talking about. To paraphrase the Gipper, "Tear Down This [Animation]!". I don't know who the marketers are marketing to; I think even my six year old would find it dorky.

cunobelinus@mac.com
2009-09-30, 15:12
Other dorks, clearly.

Geraint.

On 30 Sep 2009, at 23:07, eq72521 wrote:

> I don't know who
> the marketers are marketing to; I think even my six year old would
> find
> it dorky.
>
>
> --
> eq72521
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> eq72521's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?
> userid=1512
> View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=68654
>
>

pski
2009-09-30, 17:45
A lot of good points, and I'm sure a lot of other "SB old-timers" agree with you on this. Unfortunately this may be part and parcel of trying to reach a mass market (myself, I'm perfectly happy owning a niche product).

Just fyi, I don't think that www.squeezebox.com has anything whatsoever to do with our beloved SBs. The old home site was www.slimdevices.com, and the new one is www.logitechsqueezebox.com. Of course, both direct you to the same dreadful animation....

Yes,

The niche product is fine. It also works for non-geeks.

So many here ask questions that relate to solutions rather than "waxing Philosophical."

The more BS like that is found here, the less useful info is exposed. The less on-target they whole place becomes.

Ignore questions/posts that are not related to "community."

P

pski
2009-09-30, 18:03
NB: I write this because I have a deep respect for Slim Devices, your products, your customer relationship. I want you to know that from my point of view Logitech are making mistakes with this brand and they need to sort it out.

At first I was disappointed with the 'app' fascination announced this morning - it's cargo cult stuff - and logitech isn't the only one guilty of trying to ape Apple - but it's certainly one that's really pushing things to a level of absurdity...music services as 'apps' appears to be taking the consumer proposition to a level of abstraction that is very confusing and unclear.

The renaming of everything *again* also is a dangerous move - witness wikis, blogs, forums - essentially the sum total of effort that's been put into documenting, discussion, explaining, solving and developing the Squeezebox landscape all being cast out of relevancy in terms of search keywords etc... - some of the owned content can be updated, but the earned/user created content out there on the web will likely never get updated.

I've also been concerned to see that www.squeezebox.com being broken for quite a few hours now... (sorry, I'm wrong about this!) so I resorted to slimdevices.com which now bounces through to logitechsqueezebox.com (which is a unnecessarily complex domain name) - and I'm greeted with this hokey amateur 3d model thing? Does no-one at logitech remember the MS Office Paperclip?

Seriously. The smart, intelligent, innovative brand that Squeezebox is, is now starting to behave in hokey, cheap, bewildered and confusing manner. It feels horrible. I'm sad to see this happen.

I realise that much of this is locked and loaded, fair enough, but please at least shut down the 3d model thing - it's laughable... :(

Thanks for your input, Junior Member. Maybe you're made-up.

When we see you helping, we will know you belong here.

Pski

vram
2009-09-30, 19:52
you're lame pski!

eq72521
2009-09-30, 20:09
you're lame pski!

Indeed. pski, you're rather degrading the quality of the conversation here and in the other threads where you've made these snide comments. As well, you're giving senior members a bad name. Please stop.

Mnyb
2009-09-30, 20:55
Well I think the OP made an rather leveled and proper observation of the situation.

I always bookmark http://forums.slimdevices.com directly it's not healthy to see the main site for longer periods of time.

What is more subtle and gets to you even more than codebaby ;) (at least after a while) is these photo-model shots of beautiful people faking that they use squeezeboxes in their stylish multi million$ homes.

And the APP thing is severely broken but It can be salvaged just move back the radio providers like shoutcast bbc et all to the internet radio menu.
3/4 off the things you can chose as an APP is *not* applications by any sane mind.

We can have last-FM pandora slacker, facebook ? and such as apps this is manageable, If you don't use any of the *real* apps you can simple remove the APP menu from home menu and have a cleaner controller ?

86atc250r
2009-09-30, 20:56
I hadn't seen the animation on my own, thanks to FlashBlock.

Same here - I was a bit confused when I saw the first post complaining about it!

While I don't care too much for the animation, I don't so much mind all the recent changes in the software - if nothing else it keeps the product interesting for me, anyway. I like everything about the "My Apps" change save the name - which I can deal with. It puts pretty much all the services I use in one, easy to nav spot which is a big improvement over the way it was presented in 7.3.3

There will be some things to work out as time moves forward, but I've been using SC since 6.5 and I believe we have come a long ways since then - and for what I do, the system was fully functional for me then - it's just better now. I am still very happy with my purchases - they do everything I want and more. The family enjoys them and doesn't mind the occasional change in software either.

Everything that makes the SB line great is still there - it may be shuffled around a bit, but you'll get used to it & once you do, if it were suddenly set back to the way it was, chances are the same people would be complaining - human nature.....

rh2600
2009-09-30, 22:55
Thanks for your input, Junior Member. Maybe you're made-up.

When we see you helping, we will know you belong here.

Pski

It was a grumpy start to my day, granted, but I promise, I'm not made up.

I was off the mark with the domain complaint. I still stand by the 'apps' cargo cult complaint, and yes I too care deeply about the community - in particularly these forums and wiki, which have now taken a blow in terms of relevancy as people will now search for questions about "squeezebox server" and not "SC"/"Squeezecenter". Witness the same old questions resurfacing...

I may be a junior member, but I've taken the time to submit bugs and assist other customers IRL with purchasing and configuring their SBs. I just think it's a shame that Logitech's marketing nous is clearly not at the level of the fantastic Slim Devices that I love.

Sike
2009-09-30, 23:54

I still use www.slimp3.com ;)

plympton
2009-10-01, 10:47
.. is the best excuse to load Firefox & Adblock ..

Egad, what were they thinking... marketing...

-Dan

amey01
2009-10-02, 04:32
Personally, I think Squeezebox Server is the best name yet. It is what it says it is and makes perfect sense.

That animation, OTOH... cringe!

Too bad they couldn't nab the squeezebox.com domain...

Better, worse - doesn't matter. Consistency is the key!

Ben Sandee
2009-10-02, 07:58
On Fri, Oct 2, 2009 at 6:32 AM, amey01
<amey01.3zffun1254483241 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
>
> MeSue;463867 Wrote:
>> Personally, I think Squeezebox Server is the best name yet. It is what
>> it says it is and makes perfect sense.
>>
>> That animation, OTOH... cringe!
>>
>> Too bad they couldn't nab the squeezebox.com domain...
>
> Better, worse - doesn't matter. Consistency is the key!

It is consistent. The first server software release was called slimp3
server. Now we finally have squeezebox server since the product line
has changed to the new moniker. This is the first time the server
software has been correctly named in a long time.

Ben