PDA

View Full Version : Effectiveness of the "Search" function in the Newsgroups

thenoo
2009-09-29, 04:29
I am puzzled by the negative results I get from use of the "Search" function in these Newsgroups.

To test this function, I've done the following :-

For instance , in the Beginners NG when I input a User Name by choosing one of the names already listed there , I get a "nothing found" result even although I can see that Username listed .

Why do I get this result ?

aubuti
2009-09-29, 04:39
To test this function, I've done the following :-

For instance , in the Beginners NG when I input a User Name by choosing one of the names already listed there , I get a "nothing found" result even although I can see that Username listed .

Why do I get this result ?
If you're looking for a username, then you have to search by username. From the Search drop-down (top-center), select Advanced Search. Then put the username you're looking for in the "Search by Username" on the right side. I just did that with your username and it found all the threads in which you had posted. Of course, you can combine username search with keyword searches by also entering search terms on the left side of the advanced search screen.

tipsen
2009-09-29, 05:16
I am puzzled by the negative results I get from use of the "Search" function in these Newsgroups.
My results with the search-function is not fantastic either. I often try a Google site-restricted search if results are disappointing - something like "site:forums.slimdevices.com searchterms" or just "site:slimdevices.com searchterms" if results from e.g. the wiki should be included.