PDA

View Full Version : Automatic switching between two SCs on the same network (SB3)?

.brum
2009-09-27, 02:17
Hello,

I run my standard SqueezeCenter on a ReadyNAS DUO since a year, primarily because not having to keep any PCs powered on in the house. It's been working well enough, the slight speed issues with populating the SB3 interface with long lists (e.g. 'Artist') have been compensated by the overall ease of setup.

I have just upgraded the main home PC, however, and came to think about that there might be interesting possibilities for the quad processor power. I'd therefore like to set up a parallel SC on the PC that would be used whenever the PC happens to be on. Obviously both SCs need to be the same version, otherwise the SB3 may upgrade/downgrade its firmware when switching between the SCs.

Given this, I'm wondering if there's any way to automate the SB3's switching between the servers? Ideally I'd like the SB3 to use the PC's SC whenever it's available on the network, but fall back to the ReadyNAS DUO's when it's not.

Will that be manual switching each time, or could the SB3 be set up to handle the switch?

TIA,

.brum

toby10
2009-09-27, 05:04
Don't think there is any way to automate server switching. But doing so manually is quite simple.
Just scroll to Settings > Music Source on you SB3 and select which instance of SC you want to connect to.

epoch1970
2009-09-27, 05:17
With the CLI (ie a simple script using telnet or netcat) you can do what the web interface does; Have a look at the technical information under the Help link in SC's interface. The CLI command is called "connect". There is a "disconnect" command as well, but its use case eludes me.

If you want to use power management on the big computer, you should consider using the srvPowerControl plugin. It does automated SC <-> SN switching, for example.

(Right now it looks like you'd need to tweak the plugin to have it do SC <-> SC, though.)

.brum
2009-09-27, 05:32
Thanks for the input!

I guess I'll just go ahead and install SC on the main PC and:

1) see if switching manually feels cumbersome in practice, and
2) see if I can setup the CLI script to control the SC from the main PC upon powering up and down

On the other hand, here between posting the first message and now I read up on the upcoming version 7.4. It introduces some more automated switching between an SC and SqueezeNetwork but only for the radio style products. That could perhaps be tweaked also, we'll see.

Regards,

.brum

Mnyb
2009-09-27, 07:04
Thanks for the input!

I guess I'll just go ahead and install SC on the main PC and:

1) see if switching manually feels cumbersome in practice, and
2) see if I can setup the CLI script to control the SC from the main PC upon powering up and down

On the other hand, here between posting the first message and now I read up on the upcoming version 7.4. It introduces some more automated switching between an SC and SqueezeNetwork but only for the radio style products. That could perhaps be tweaked also, we'll see.

Regards,

.brum

SC 7.4 has a feature to set up multiple "remote libraries" they don't have to be particularly remote it's just an ip address . This is also a workaround for those networks that don't work with the squeezebox server "discovery" function .
You can set both servers this way and then go into settings and put "switch library" to the home menu , Unsure of how it willl look exactly as I have only one server.

peterw
2009-09-27, 07:23
now I read up on the upcoming version 7.4. It introduces some more automated switching between an SC and SqueezeNetwork but only for the radio style products. That could perhaps be tweaked also, we'll see.

I expect not. I'm pretty sure the automatic switching logic is on the client/Radio side, written in Lua to SqueezePlay APIs. You should ask Gordon Harris about SvrPowerControl though. I think your request will be more common when Touch ships, as it includes a stripped down SBS 7.4 server.

pski
2009-09-27, 12:40
On 7.3.3 and using the web interface, if a SB is connected to a "second" server, I can attempt to use the SB from the "first" server.

I get a dialog box that asks if I want to connect that SB to the "first" server. So long as the "second" server is active, the switch over works but if "second" is turned-off, the switch over doesn't happen..

Apparently "first" needs cooperation from "second" to make the change happen.

In this case "first" is vister business and "second" is vortexbox.

P

peterw
2009-09-27, 12:55
The web switch generally also requires that you not use username/password protection, so the "pulling" SC instance can issue CLI commands to the SC instance currently serving the player in question.

.brum
2009-09-27, 23:56
Thanks for all interesting and valuable feedback!

The remote libraries concept sounds cool also from other perspectives, if that would finally enable us to connect to friends' libraries. Obviously most would need to resample, but for presenting new and exciting stuff to friends that would be nice.

.brum