PDA

View Full Version : Squeezebox Classic (SB3) discontinued?

tipsen
2009-09-25, 05:35
Hi
I heard rumors that the Classic will be discontinued due to the release of the Touch but haven't been able to find anything specific about this. Are the rumors true and when will this happen (I'd like to get 1 or 2 extra Classic's before it's too late).
Cheers, Tommy

pippin
2009-09-25, 05:39
Hi
I heard rumors that the Classic will be discontinued due to the release of the Touch but haven't been able to find anything specific about this. Are the rumors true and when will this happen (I'd like to get 1 or 2 extra Classic's before it's too late).
Cheers, Tommy

It's not on Logitech's site anymore so better hurry up...

aubuti
2009-09-25, 05:43
Are the rumors true and when will this happen (I'd like to get 1 or 2 extra Classic's before it's too late).
Yes, the rumors are true, and they'll be discontinued when the last one is sold. I have the impression, but no hard information, that they stopped production of the SB3/Classic earlier this year. If you can't find any at Logitech's site you can probably still find some at other retailers, or new-in-box items on eBay and the like.

Ikabob
2009-09-25, 05:46
They are still available at Amazon(1left) and J&R.com. Why not the touch with all the additional features? Just curious.

pippin
2009-09-25, 05:51
They are still available at Amazon . Why not the touch with all the additional features? Just curious.

Amazon.de:
Touch: €299,-
Classic: €157,98

If you've got a server, don't need a Touch-Screen-Controller it's simply the most bang for the buck right now.

Ikabob
2009-09-25, 06:00
Yes, I tend to agree with you. But the USB port is a very nice feature for future applications. But Ido agree with you . I could like SB3s for the money. Less things that go wrong.

tipsen
2009-09-25, 06:10
Thanks for the replies. I'm still interested in the Classic since it's a cheap solution - I'd rather have two extra Classic's than one Touch. Furthermore the display of the Classic is readable from a distance (4-6m) which I don't think will be the case with the Touch's display. Sorry to hear that it is being discontinued - but perhaps I'll be able to shop around for a good offer.

Siduhe
2009-09-25, 07:40
Furthermore the display of the Classic is readable from a distance (4-6m) which I don't think will be the case with the Touch's display.

I'm a big fan of the Classic too, but the Touch works pretty well for distance use. It has a proximity sensor so when you are up close it uses a small sized font, and when you use a remote (and the proximity sensor is not triggered) it uses a larger font. Easily usable from 5m imho for selecting and playing music. Now Playing screen may need a bit of work for distance use but it's not far off.

epoch1970
2009-09-25, 12:01
...and paid a fair price for it on Amazon, as a bonus.

I like a lot the embedded server in the Touch, but that's about it.
I don't understand the urge to use an LCD screen, this is not a video device, it's about music.
Compared to the display panel on the Classic, the LCD, even of exceptional quality, -and that would be a departure from the Controller screen- won't be legible enough: no contrast and too small.
Besides, I have my daily dose of netbook, ipod, iphone, etc. I enjoy SB3s because I can listen to music and forget the technicalities. The Touch just tries to draw your attention to itself.

I hope for the BU that the Touch is a success, technical and commercial. For me, I am now set to skip a generation of products.

EDIT: I haven't used or even seen a Touch in real life. I own a Duet.

toby10
2009-09-25, 12:17
Well, the reason for the Touch LCD over SB3 VFD are many and varied:
- SB3 screen seems dated (though, like you, I love it)
- color screen, album and station art
- better Menu navigation (can see more than three lines)
- more "apps" can be utilized
- color & touch screen are where the market is going

Touch's text font is larger than the SB3 font using Touch's Proximity and/or Large Text feature for reading the screen from further away than the SB3 screen.

But, like any product, it isn't for everyone. :)

funkstar
2009-09-26, 03:07
I don't understand the urge to use an LCD screen, this is not a video device, it's about music.
you can never please everyone :)

There have been many, many threads from people wanting album art. It is a logical replacement for the VFD.

epoch1970
2009-09-26, 03:42
you can never please everyone :)

There have been many, many threads from people wanting album art. It is a logical replacement for the VFD.
Yeah, I like album art too. I actually remember how holding an LP feels like, and it's nothing like this. I'm ready to wait for a square 12" color e-ink gizmo. With an online database of quality cover scans. In the meantime there is the web interface, iPeng or the Controller if I need to listen with my eyes.

While I am at it. I also read someone somewhere saying it was great that the new devices were no longer thin clients. I beg to differ. The thin client design is what gave the SB an incredible lifespan. Update the server, and you have a new device. I understand that the devs need some room to breathe. But IMO the applets are the wrong path.

Enough ranting from an old fart. I'll be enjoying my Classics, tweaking the SC server, being part of a fine community, for I hope, a long time. Peace.

mzpro5
2009-09-26, 08:11
Crutchfield is still selling the classic but for $279

sander
2009-09-29, 16:37
If you live in a big metro area check out Criagslist. There are often SB3s and older for sale, sometimes for pretty cheap.