PDA

View Full Version : SB touch USB drive access

pbudding
2009-09-25, 02:24
Hi all,

reading the specs this touch is exactly what I need. So now I do not need to have my homePC as a server, great!

So if you add a usb drive to the touch, I understand my current SB3 and softsqueeze can access and stream this, even greater!

But what access do you get for maintaining and backing up your music on the USB drive connected to the touch? I suppose you can access this drive from you PC.
I just want to have this USB drive lying behind the touch.

One thing left to figure out howto access the touch via ssh from my workPC

can't wait to see it!

Peter

funkstar
2009-09-25, 02:58
But what access do you get for maintaining and backing up your music on the USB drive connected to the touch? I suppose you can access this drive from you PC.
I just want to have this USB drive lying behind the touch.
The drive will appear in Windows Networking as a standard file share, just like a NAS box.

kbelinski
2009-09-25, 03:26
I have the exact need Peter described. I have an SB2 and substantial collection of FLAC - about 250GB of disc space. The SB Touch offers the opportunity to play without having a PC running SqueezeCenter. I am delighted. But I want to make sure the way I organize my music collection works fine with SB Touch + external USB HDD.

Music directory structure:

/Lossless/Artiste/Album/CDImage.cue, CDImage.flac, cover.jpg

A typical album in my collection would have the following three files:

/Lossless/Amanda McBroom/Dreaming/CDImage.cue
/Lossless/Amanda McBroom/Dreaming/CDImage.flac
/Lossless/Amanda McBroom/Dreaming/cover.jpg

Would I run into any music scanning problem using this directory structure to connect to SB Touch via external USB HDD?

Thanks in advance.

funkstar
2009-09-25, 04:11
The server in the touch (currently code named as TinySC) is the same as the full blown desktop equivalent. The only difference is it has startup parameters that turn off features such as the web interface, transcoding, support for older players (namely the SliMP3 and original SB). This reduces the load on Touch and makes it feasible to have such a setup.

So, if it can be scanned by the full SC, it should be able to be scanned by TinySC (audio format dependant).

pbudding
2009-09-25, 04:20
Thanks for you answer...

well found one drawback for the Touch while reading about the album art files.

I'll probally need to start now finding these files....for the SB3 there was no need....only 500+ to find... aaarch..

funkstar
2009-09-25, 07:28
the Touch doesn't need album art, it will show a place holder if there isn't any available, just like the web interface.

kbelinski
2009-09-25, 09:40
Does TinySC come with unicode (arialuni.ttf) support like the full SC?

Thanks.

gorman
2009-09-25, 13:35
Is there any detail concerning the number of simultaneous players that a single Touch is going to be able to serve music to?

dean
2009-09-25, 18:07
On Sep 25, 2009, at 9:40 AM, kbelinski wrote:
> Which filesystem does SB Touch support for the external USB drive?
> NTFS?
> FAT32? or others?
Initially it will be FAT32 only, but likely to be updated over time.

> Does TinySC come with unicode (arialuni.ttf) support like the full SC?
It currently includes the FreeFont package and uses FreeSans as the
default font. It's supports many languages, but is not a complete
Unicode font, and specifically does not include Japanese and Chinese
glyphs. This is another area that is likely to be improved in
subsequent updates.

JohnSwenson
2009-09-28, 00:23
TinySC also supports linux file systems such as EXT2 and EXT3. So if you have a linux formatted USB disk it will work as well as Fat32.

John S.

kbelinski
2009-09-28, 02:20
Dean, thanks for the informative reply. I could not ask for more. I have been a SB2 user for years. The SB Touch with the capability of attaching a USB HDD is a compelling upgrade to me.

I found the answer to filesystem question in another thread. That is why I edited my earlier post to remove the question on filesystem. At this point it suffice to know that there is plan to support NTFS in SC 8.0.1. I hope the plan stays on track. I am not a big fan of NTFS. But the reality is it is the most native FS for the Windows community and that it supports long file name.

Based on the feedback I am convinced that the SB Touch fits my needs very well.

About half of my Flac collection are tagged in UTF-8 Chinese chars. I wonder if I feed arialuni.ttf to TinySC, would SB Touch displays Chinese glyphs correctly on its screen? If not, would a future firmware update provide the fix? Is it a hardware limitation?

Thanks,
KB

shevans
2009-09-28, 02:40
Will the Touch pull embedded artwork from ALAC files if using a USB drive on the Touch?

andyg
2009-09-28, 04:47
On Sep 28, 2009, at 5:40 AM, shevans wrote:

>
> Will the Touch pull embedded artwork from ALAC files if using a USB
> drive on the Touch?

Yep, the scanner will be the same.

shevans
2009-09-28, 05:38
On Sep 28, 2009, at 5:40 AM, shevans wrote:

>
> Will the Touch pull embedded artwork from ALAC files if using a USB
> drive on the Touch?

Yep, the scanner will be the same.

Many thanks Andy, good to know and will save me hours of time.

Jonnio
2009-09-29, 03:56
Does the touch allow the USB drives to spin down and go into low power mode when not being used? That is the one big drawback to my current Linux server, it is a pain to do auto spindown on drives. This might make the touch that much more of a sound addition to my squeezebox lineup.