PDA

View Full Version : Whither the Duet?

JJZolx
2009-09-24, 17:03
Prominently absent from the product photo rotation on the new http://www.logitechsqueezebox.com home page.

And a distant fourth in the product matrix: http://www.logitechsqueezebox.com/product_matrix.html

iPhone
2009-09-24, 19:18
Prominently absent from the product photo rotation on the new http://www.logitechsqueezebox.com home page.

And a distant fourth in the product matrix: http://www.logitechsqueezebox.com/product_matrix.html

Think they might be pushing the new units? I do. Selling the Radio, Touch, and Boom this Holiday Season is going to be a large requirement.

Ron Olsen
2009-09-24, 19:52

The Duet is in the product photo rotation -- you have to cycle through twice to see it.

sander
2009-09-26, 13:59
Well, you gotta guess the Deut's days are numbered once the cheaper color screen units come out.

Playback will never be perfect and it has half the memory of the other devices so its likely it will be phased out over time.

I'll have a soft spot for it since it's the only player my girlfriend ever warmed up to, but I really bought it for its ability as a player which turned out to be a big disappointment.

Matt Wise
2009-09-27, 14:58
Well, you gotta guess the Deut's days are numbered once the cheaper color screen units come out.

Playback will never be perfect and it has half the memory of the other devices so its likely it will be phased out over time.

I'll have a soft spot for it since it's the only player my girlfriend ever warmed up to, but I really bought it for its ability as a player which turned out to be a big disappointment.

Can you be a bit more clear about your issues? Are you talking about problems with the Duet product (which is a Receiver + Controller), or just the Receiver or just the Controller? Were you trying to do playback on the controller through the audio jack, or are you having problems with playback through the Receiver, being controlled by the controller?

sander
2009-09-28, 07:46
Can you be a bit more clear about your issues?

I meant the controller as a player has always been pretty flaky for me. It's frequently slow to respond, randomly looses connection under heavy usage, the output doesn't switch correctly (I know there's a plugin for that now) and the cover art randomly stops working. The icing on the cake is it looks like it will never sync correctly which makes it basically half a player in my book.

In my opinion the controller was never able to overcome its hardware limitations. The cpu is too weak to give a really fluid experience, but it uses enough power that the power saving really becomes obtrusive. I just hope Logitech upholds its tradition of supporting and continuing to support and enhance older players.

For my usage as a slightly enhanced controller which is easier to do extended searches from and ersatz color screen unit (it's docked 99% of the time) its OK. My other big disappointment was the lack of screensavers, but 7.4 should fix that.

My receivers have been flawless, for their limited functionality, but I can't see someone shelling out $300+ for the duet when the new devices are so much cheaper.

JJZolx
2009-09-28, 08:08
My receivers have been flawless, for their limited functionality, but I can't see someone shelling out $300+ for the duet when the new devices are so much cheaper.

What new devices offer the same functionality as the Duet? The Squeezebox Radio is network clock/radio thing. The Squeezebox Touch is just a Squeezbox Classic replacement. Neither of them put a portable music controller in your hand.

eq72521
2009-09-28, 10:56
What new devices offer the same functionality as the Duet? The Squeezebox Radio is network clock/radio thing. The Squeezebox Touch is just a Squeezbox Classic replacement. Neither of them put a portable music controller in your hand.

At least not until the battery pack mod comes out. :)

JJZolx
2009-09-28, 11:40
At least not until the battery pack mod comes out.

Then you'll have a portable radio. I don't get the connection to the Duet, unless you think a portable radio sounds anything like your stereo system. If it does, I would say a major upgrade is in order.

ModelCitizen
2009-09-28, 12:03
I just hope Logitech upholds its tradition of supporting and continuing to support and enhance older players.
It's good that Logitech have a tradition of this too. I was aware of SlimDevices reputation in this area.

The only product that can be compared to the Controller is the iPhone with iPeng. I believe that there are apps for controlling Squeeze devices being developed for Google's Android platform too.

MC

sander
2009-09-28, 18:36

But they offer color screens, an easier interface and album artwork, if the battery life reported in the beta forums is true the radio has easily two or three times the battery life I've seen in the controller. More importantly the sound much more stable, but we'll find out once they're out in the wild.

I don't know if other peoples' experience is similar, but I have an inverse appreciation ratio for the controller. That is the less I use it the more I like it.

It's just sitting in it's cradle showing the clock or whatever's playing on the receiver next to it, and it's kind of cool. I sometimes use it to set my alarm or search around like on mediafly or pandora, because its easier to browse, and I say to myself this isn't so bad.

Then I try to seriously use it. It starts out fine, then I put it down, I pick it up, spinning wheel *don't panic* it comes back, I use it some more. Hmm battery's almost half way dead and I'm just getting started. And I put it back.

I might have a different relationship with the device if I was more of an active music listener, but generally I let MusicIP do the mixing, listen to an album or stream so I'm OK with a regular remote.

I'm also OK without the variable that I'll get really ticked off when I pick up the controller after it's been working fine for an hour and it's stuck on stupid unable to find the only wifi network its programmed to connect to and the only Squeezecenter on that network.

Matt Wise
2009-09-28, 19:11
I meant the controller as a player has always been pretty flaky for me. It's frequently slow to respond, randomly looses connection under heavy usage, the output doesn't switch correctly (I know there's a plugin for that now) and the cover art randomly stops working. The icing on the cake is it looks like it will never sync correctly which makes it basically half a player in my book.

In my opinion the controller was never able to overcome its hardware limitations. The cpu is too weak to give a really fluid experience, but it uses enough power that the power saving really becomes obtrusive. I just hope Logitech upholds its tradition of supporting and continuing to support and enhance older players.

For my usage as a slightly enhanced controller which is easier to do extended searches from and ersatz color screen unit (it's docked 99% of the time) its OK. My other big disappointment was the lack of screensavers, but 7.4 should fix that.

Honestly, Playback on the controller was never an advertised or supported feature (I don't believe ... correct me if I'm wrong). I do believe that this feature has gotten quite a bit better in the 7.4 branch though.

aubuti
2009-09-28, 20:03
Honestly, Playback on the controller was never an advertised or supported feature (I don't believe ... correct me if I'm wrong). I do believe that this feature has gotten quite a bit better in the 7.4 branch though.
I agree that playback on the SBC was never advertised as anything more than beta, not marketed as such, and so on. But I think SBC playback has taken a step *backwards* in going from 7.3.3 to 7.4. There is a huge problem with audio "glitches" (not really stutters, more like a brief dropout) on the SBC every 5 - 15 seconds with 7.4. It's easy to reproduce it on mine -- actually it's impossible not to reproduce it. And there's more info in Bug 11283 (https://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=11283). I think you're going to find that for the users who were starting to get happy with SBC playback, they're going to be pretty pissed off about 7.4.

bluegaspode
2009-09-28, 23:43
I think you're going to find that for the users who were starting to get happy with SBC playback, they're going to be pretty pissed off about 7.4.
And now that I realize that the strategy 'just stay on 7.3' doesn't work because everyone is forced to 7.4 I'm even more pissed, because noone was listening in the bug and just postponed the fix to a later release.

I was really happy was playback on 7.3 so far (using it before going to bed, so battery life wasn't an issue, also using headphone-switcher plugin) with 7.4 playback renders useless because of so many glitches.

Muele
2009-09-29, 00:02

Well as others say: in 7.3 it was usable if you applied the right workarounds, e.g. the headphone switcher plugin. In 7.4 its mostly useless, unless you use just the right music format, low resource-screensaver etc. In that case the glitches tend to disappear after a mínute or so.

newy
2009-09-29, 02:20
And now that I realize that the strategy 'just stay on 7.3' doesn't work because everyone is forced to 7.4 I'm even more pissed, because noone was listening in the bug and just postponed the fix to a later release.

I was really happy was playback on 7.3 so far (using it before going to bed, so battery life wasn't an issue, also using headphone-switcher plugin) with 7.4 playback renders useless because of so many glitches.

Why do you think everyone is forced to upgrade to 7.4?

bluegaspode
2009-09-29, 02:28
Why do you think everyone is forced to upgrade to 7.4?

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Release_Notes#Upgrade_to_7.4.0_Required
http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Running_7.3_with_MySqueezebox.com

Maybe 'everyone' is not right, but I guess >80% use SqueezeNetwork and don't want to switch firmwares all the times.

rtitmuss
2009-09-29, 02:29

I'm sorry you feel that way. I have been listening, but I have not had much time to post recently. I intend to fix the Controller audio playback in 7.4.1, so it works at least as well as 7.3.

Cheers,
Richard

Muele
2009-09-29, 04:38
I'm sorry you feel that way. I have been listening, but I have not had much time to post recently. I intend to fix the Controller audio playback in 7.4.1, so it works at least as well as 7.3.

Cheers,
Richard

That sounds excellent.

aubuti
2009-09-29, 04:42
http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Release_Notes#Upgrade_to_7.4.0_Required
http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Running_7.3_with_MySqueezebox.com

Maybe 'everyone' is not right, but I guess >80% use SqueezeNetwork and don't want to switch firmwares all the times.
And I guess that 85% of statistics like that are made up. If you use the SN services *through* SC/SbS then you don't need to upgrade to 7.4. Right now I am listening to internet radio through SC 7.3.3. Yes, it means that the computer has to be on, so that's a choice each user will have to make: upgrade to 7.4 OR connect to SN via SC.

bluegaspode
2009-09-29, 07:14
If you use the SN services *through* SC/SbS then you don't need to upgrade to 7.4
Interesting workaround, very sophisticated :)

bluegaspode
2009-09-29, 07:16
I have been listening, but I have not had much time to post recently. I intend to fix the Controller audio playback in 7.4.1, so it works at least as well as 7.3.

Richard,
thanks for a spark of hope!

aubuti
2009-09-29, 08:13
Interesting workaround, very sophisticated :)
I never thought of it as a workaround. If the server is on, it just happens that way.

eq72521
2009-09-30, 20:37
Then you'll have a portable radio. I don't get the connection to the Duet, unless you think a portable radio sounds anything like your stereo system. If it does, I would say a major upgrade is in order.

I was talking about a battery pack for the Touch giving you a touch screen remote. I'm not entirely sure what you thought I was talking about...

aubuti
2009-10-01, 08:33
I was talking about a battery pack for the Touch giving you a touch screen remote. I'm not entirely sure what you thought I was talking about...
Sorry, but I think that would be really nuts. The SB Touch is already much bigger and unwieldy than that "other Touch" (hint: Apple) BEFORE adding a battery pack. And the extra bulk is because of all kinds of things that are completely irrelevant to using it as a remote, such as ethernet jack, optical outputs, RCA outputs, processor and RAM powerful enough to run TinySC, etc. It's just not designed to be a remote, or at least not a portable remote. However as a stationary remote to control other SBs (or itself) it's great.

eq72521
2009-10-01, 20:22
Sorry, but I think that would be really nuts. The SB Touch is already much bigger and unwieldy than that "other Touch" (hint: Apple) BEFORE adding a battery pack. And the extra bulk is because of all kinds of things that are completely irrelevant to using it as a remote, such as ethernet jack, optical outputs, RCA outputs, processor and RAM powerful enough to run TinySC, etc. It's just not designed to be a remote, or at least not a portable remote. However as a stationary remote to control other SBs (or itself) it's great.

I was originally joking, hence the smiley. :)

aubuti
2009-10-01, 20:26
I was originally joking, hence the smiley. :)
My bad for responding to the reaction to the post rather than the post itself. Or actually, the reaction to the reaction to the post....