PDA

View Full Version : Announce: Custom Clock applet for Touch/Radio/Controller

Pages : [1] 2 3

erland
2009-09-24, 15:48
The Custom Clock screensaver for Squeezebox Controller/Touch/Radio is now ready for usage.

See the following wiki page for more information:
http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Custom_Clock_applet

It's installed by going to "Settings/Advanced/Applet Installer" on the Touch, Radio or Controller. In the Applet Installer you will find a "Custom Clock" applet which you need to install. You will in Squeezebox Server either check the "Show all 3rd party plugins" checkbox or manually configure my repository, if you don't it won't appear in "Applet Installer".

Finally, you will need to select "Custom Clock" as screensaver on the Touch, Radio or Controller.

It has a setting menu under "Settings/Screen/Custom Clock" where you can select:
- which style to use for the image
- what kind of time and date information to show
- select if you like to show information about currently playing track or not

Some screenshots follows below.

PLEASE NOTE!
It's very easy for me to add new custom styles on user request, you just have to create the necessary images. Since, I'm not a good graphical designer myself I'd really like help to add more styles by someone that's good at graphical design.

In the digital mode there are two possible images:
- The background image
- The clock face image

In the analog mode there are five possible images:
- The background image
- The clock face image (Can be sized so it fills the complete screen or have the same size as the hour/minute/second hand images)
- The hour hand (Needs to be a square image with the hand starting in the middle and going straight up)
- The minute hand (Needs to be a square image with the hand starting in the middle and going straight up)
- The second hand (Needs to be a square image with the hand starting in the middle and going straight up)

It's appropriate to create the hand and clock face images with the resolution 240x240, this will fill the complete width on a Squeezebox Controller and the complete height on a Squeezebox Radio.

Some sample images from the standard clock applet in the 7.4 firmare:
- Clock face: http://svn.slimdevices.com/repos/jive/7.4/trunk/squeezeplay/src/squeezeplay/share/applets/QVGAportraitSkin/images/Clocks/Analog/jive_wallpaper_clock_analog.png
- Hour hand: http://svn.slimdevices.com/repos/jive/7.4/trunk/squeezeplay/src/squeezeplay/share/applets/QVGAportraitSkin/images/Clocks/Analog/clock_analog_hr_hand.png
- Minute hand: http://svn.slimdevices.com/repos/jive/7.4/trunk/squeezeplay/src/squeezeplay/share/applets/QVGAportraitSkin/images/Clocks/Analog/clock_analog_min_hand.png

Post in the 3rd party plugin section of the forum and mention "Custom Clock" in the title of the thread if you have made some images you like to be added as a style.

iPhone
2009-09-24, 19:38
Awesome as always! Great Clock plugin

MeSue
2009-09-25, 18:53
Very nice! This solves my problem of not being able to see the time if I take the Radio out to the pool.

I had a lot of trouble changing my settings to get it the way I want. I think it is only saving one change even if you change multiple things in the custom settings?

Would it be possible to remove the leading 0 when 12-hour time is selected for the clock?

Could the date options include a short Weekday Day Month option? I would rather have a short version of all date info on the bottom instead of having the weekday cycling with the song info.

For Example: Fri 25 Sept

How about a cover art option for the background with the text overlayed? Maybe even 2 options--one for cropped which would make the cover art as big as the longest screen dimension, cropping the excess; and one for fit, which would force the cover to the size of the smallest screen dimension, leaving bars on the top or sides. The text would probably need shadows for this to look good, though.

Edit: When I tried the "classic clock" style it made the top line of text (song info and weekday) a pale gray which was not enough contrast against the white bar at the top.

erland
2009-09-26, 00:54
There is now a 1.1 version available with the following changes:
- Added support for showing album covers in background
- Added support for showing hours without leading zero
- Added support for Weekday Day Month option for text item
- Adjusted some clock styles to make them look better on all supported Squeezebox types

I've also added some more information on the wiki page that describes what images you need to create to make your own custom clock style.
http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Custom_Clock_applet#Customization

Note!
To take advantage of the new clock style changes, you will need to go into the Custom Clock Settings/Styles menu select another style and select the old one again and step left out of the menu.

erland
2009-09-26, 00:59
I had a lot of trouble changing my settings to get it the way I want. I think it is only saving one change even if you change multiple things in the custom settings?

It would help if you could describe exactly how you navigate when you see this.

The principles are:
- When you select another style in the Custom Clock Settings/Style menu, all parameters will be restored to the ones provided with that clock style. So after changing style, you will need to re-apply any customizations you have done for the Item 1, Item 2 and Item 3 options.
- After the style change, you can use the Item 1, Item 2 and Item 3 options to change what you like to show, the settings are store when you hit left and move out of the menu. So you need to move left to actually store the setting you've changed.
- If you like to go back to the default settings for the selected style, just go into the Custom Clock Settings/Style menu select another style and immediately afterwards select the style you want, finally move left to store the changes.

epoch1970
2009-09-26, 04:04
Erland,
thanks for trying to breeze some fresh air in my Controller!

I run SC7.3.3, I was surprised to see the daylight clock applet available. I opted to install it, the menus are here but nothing happens on the controller.

I guess you need a more recent version of the server or the firmware to run it ? I've taken a quick look at the wiki, and server version is not really mentioned, except I am not aware I run the "Squeezebox Server" yet.

No worries. I'll wait.

(otherwise: the only peculiar thing about my install is that the controller runs on another network, with a few firewall rules to let it communicate with the server on the lan.)

erland
2009-09-26, 04:29
I run SC7.3.3, I was surprised to see the daylight clock applet available. I opted to install it, the menus are here but nothing happens on the controller.

I guess you need a more recent version of the server or the firmware to run it ? I've take a quick look at the wiki, and server version is not really mentioned, except I am not aware I run the "Squeezebox Server" yet.

They both require the 7.4 version of of the Controller firmware which you'll get if you install the latest nightly of Squeezebox Server 7.4.

I had an error in my repository xml file which made them appear on 7.3, this has now been corrected. Thanks for reporting.

epoch1970
2009-09-26, 05:13
Good, then.
For the record, trying to run this applet may have broken the other screensavers on the current controller version. Instead of Flicker or even Classic clock, I get I a blank screen.
I'll try to find a fix and update.

EDIT: Easy-peasy. Choose the clock screensaver, then power off the Controller and restart. Then it works as expected.

MeSue
2009-09-26, 08:40
Wow! Everything I asked for. Thank you so much. It's AWESOME!!!! The shaded album cover looks really nice for the background.

The trouble I was having changing settings must have been from changing the style. It's not an issue now that I understand changing the style resets everything.

When I go to the applet install, I see two entries for Custom Clock. I guess this is because I have your normal repository and the one for your beta stuff? It doesn't seem to cause any problem... just thought I'd mention it.

If the Wizard Erland would care to grant me one more wish, I would prefer the song info to scroll instead of cycling. If it scrolled it could be in a larger size like the same size as the bottom row of text would be good, I think.

Philip Meyer
2009-09-28, 00:21
I tried setting Custom Clock as my "When Stopped" screensaver. However, when I play music it comes on too (When Playing screensaver is set to Now Playing).

bluegaspode
2009-10-02, 14:55
erland,

the time/date shown by your applet isn't localized.
I guess you suffer from http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=14538 as well, so you might want to comment/watch this bug.

MeSue
2009-10-04, 20:31
On Squeezebox Radio, I have Custom clock as my while playing screen saver. If I pause my music and then resume it, the custom clock screen saver never comes back until I power off and back on. It's happened often but I'm not sure if it's doing it all the time. I know it has happened while running on battery. Not sure if it has happened while on power. I will have to do more testing but wanted to post this while I was thinking about it.

erland
2009-10-04, 22:21
On Squeezebox Radio, I have Custom clock as my while playing screen saver. If I pause my music and then resume it, the custom clock screen saver never comes back until I power off and back on. It's happened often but I'm not sure if it's doing it all the time. I know it has happened while running on battery. Not sure if it has happened while on power. I will have to do more testing but wanted to post this while I was thinking about it.

Does it work with the standard clock screen saver ?
I'm asking because if it does, I could just see what's different compared to in my code compared to the standard clock.

If it doesn't work with the standard clock screen saver it would be great if you could register a bug for.

MeSue
2009-10-08, 17:44
If it doesn't work with the standard clock screen saver it would be great if you could register a bug for.

Screensaver stops working after a long pause
https://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=14682

furtive
2009-10-16, 07:55
I can't find the custom clock plugin anywhere. I've added your repository (and the beta one) and still can't see it listed. Am I looking in the wrong place?

erland
2009-10-16, 08:58
I can't find the custom clock plugin anywhere. I've added your repository (and the beta one) and still can't see it listed. Am I looking in the wrong place?

It's not a plugin, it's a Squeezeplay applet.
You install it by going to the "Applet Installer" menu under "Settings/Advanced" on your Squeezebox Controller/Touch/Radio.

erland
2009-10-20, 23:22
There is now a 1.2 version of Custom Clock available with the following changes:
- Added support for Custom Clock Helper plugin
- Added new Digital Clock style with red text

The big news this time is the optional Custom Clock Helper plugin which is available as a separate plugin for Squeezebox Server. By installing this plugin in Squeezebox Server you will be able to edit all clock styles through the Squeezebox Server web interface. You will also be able to create your completely own styles.

After you have changed a style with Custom Clock Helper plugin, you will need to goto "Settings/Screen/Custom Clock Settings/Styles" on the Controller/Radio/Touch and select another style and then select the style you just updated. This will refresh the settings for the Custom Clock applet and make it use your latest changes.

When you create your own style, make sure to enter a name and select one or several models which you want the style to be available on.

So let's go and create some new cool clock styles and share your work here so other users can use your own custom style.

Question to users that try the Custom Clock Helper
- Is there any need to keep all the Custom Clock settings menus on the Touch/Radio/Controller or would it be better to just have a style selection on the device and make all customizations through Custom Clock Helper in Squeezebox Server interface ?

There is some more information on the wiki page that describes what images you need to create to make your own custom clock style.

Note!
To take advantage of the new clock style changes, you will need to go into the Custom Clock Settings/Styles menu select another style and select the old one again and step left out of the menu.

Siduhe
2009-10-23, 14:06
erland, slightly random question here - loving the custom clock especially the Moon clock setting.

Is there any way I could change the colour of the moon and the text items (or use a custom background maybe)? Long story, but Man City fans will understand (http://www.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/index.asp) and it would be a great way to repay my long suffering hubbie for all the [breaking] testing our music system I've done recently.

Happy to tweak code if you can point me in the right direction (but know nothing about how the applets work).

erland
2009-10-23, 22:44
erland, slightly random question here - loving the custom clock especially the Moon clock setting.

Is there any way I could change the colour of the moon and the text items (or use a custom background maybe)? Long story, but Man City fans will understand (http://www.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/index.asp) and it would be a great way to repay my long suffering hubbie for all the [breaking] testing our music system I've done recently.

Happy to tweak code if you can point me in the right direction (but know nothing about how the applets work).

Install the Custom Clock Helper in your Squeezebox Server and you will be able to select any background you want. The text colors are limited so you can select among a number of read and white/gray/black tones at the moment, but I'll be happy to add more variants if you like.

There are more information about making your own clock style here:

If you make a new style which other might be interested in, make sure to post it in this forum section so we can add it as one of the bundled styles.

NFLnut
2009-10-25, 19:02
The new Controller software update (I believe it was build 7925?) that I was prompted to install today completely uninstalled this plugin! I was already running 7.4.1 so I don't know why the update would have uninstalled the plugin. :( I had to reinstall it.

MeSue
2009-10-25, 19:04
The new Controller software update (I believe it was build 7925?) that I was prompted to install today completely uninstalled this plugin! I was already running 7.4.1 so I don't know why the update would have uninstalled the plugin. :( I had to reinstall it.

You always have to reinstall applets after a firmware update.

NFLnut
2009-10-25, 19:16
BTW -- after reinstalling the Custom Clock plugin, when I go to the Controller's settings/screensaver menu, there is no "Classic" or "Custom" clock in the choices like there used to be. I only see the analog, digital, or Facebook clocks as available selections. Now .. when I go the web settings UI and go to plugins, I see that there is a "Custom Clock Helper" plugin entry under installed plugins. I chose the Classic clock for the Controller and clicked apply and close. I still get the ugly new clock. So then, I decided to stop Squeezebox Server and restart it. There still is no "Classic clock" listed under the screensaver menu, and I still am getting the ugly new clock.

NFLnut
2009-10-25, 19:25
I just went through the reinstall for Custom Clock and saw taht there was a new 1.2 version. It's working now and showing up in the screen saver settings. I'm waiting to make sure that when it goes to screen saver in a few minutes the classic clock will display.

Having to reinstall plugins after a firmware update is pretty ridiculous. I might understand if it was going from say 7.4 to 7.5 or 8 (a major upgrade), but not for an unremarkable update.

Juggler
2009-12-04, 18:50
Is there any way to display your Flickr stream as the background to the clock?

Chunkywizard
2009-12-30, 14:52
Hi Erland,

a couple of questions. Is there anyway to display the year (%Y?) and what about AM/PM (it seems all the 12hr clocks don't show whether you are AM or PM.

Cheers

CW

[Edit] Ok, just tried %Y and that worked so just the AM/PM thing left to figure out!)

erland
2009-12-30, 21:17
a couple of questions. Is there anyway to display the year (%Y?) and what about AM/PM (it seems all the 12hr clocks don't show whether you are AM or PM.

You will find the format keywords supported here:
http://perltraining.com.au/tips/2009-02-26.html

There is no easy way to make the am/pm indication a lot smaller than the rest of the clock numbers in the current version.

Chunkywizard
2009-12-31, 01:06
You will find the format keywords supported here:
http://perltraining.com.au/tips/2009-02-26.html

There is no easy way to make the am/pm indication a lot smaller than the rest of the clock numbers in the current version.

thanks. %p then. I did search for them but forgot they were perl. :whoops: Anyway, not to worry about the size, I an just designing one I like now. I'll post a screen shot in a bit.

[edit] one slight hiccup, I was looking for 12hour time with no leading zero which is not in the list you sent. Other sites suggest it's %h, but this is being translated at shortened month (which should be %b), is this a bug or have I got the variable wrong?

[edit2] found it! See: http://www.mkssoftware.com/docs/man3/strftime.3.asp for a better list. %I and %l had me confused

CW

Chunkywizard
2010-01-01, 04:58
Hi Folks,

here's the Custom Clock I have made. It's on a transparent background and it's meant for close viewing (as the date is fairly small). Suits me fine as I have the radio on the breakfast bar at the moment. I'll post the .prefs file in a mo.

Cheers

CW

[Edit] .prefs (zipped) file now attached for anyone that wants it.

mbonsack
2010-01-07, 22:55
After you have changed a style with Custom Clock Helper plugin, you will need to goto "Settings/Screen/Custom Clock Settings/Styles" on the Controller/Radio/Touch and select another style and then select the style you just updated. This will refresh the settings for the Custom Clock applet and make it use your latest changes.

I do this, but none of the changes I make on the Web GUI seem to take effect; I just get the stock custom clocks that come with the applet itself. In other words, changing the "red" color of "item 1" to grey does nothing; the whole clock is still red. Is there something else I need to do to get the custom clock helper to work?

erland
2010-01-07, 23:21
I do this, but none of the changes I make on the Web GUI seem to take effect; I just get the stock custom clocks that come with the applet itself. In other words, changing the "red" color of "item 1" to grey does nothing; the whole clock is still red. Is there something else I need to do to get the custom clock helper to work?

Just to be clear, so there isn't just some misunderstanding causing this:

1. Let's say the "Digital Clock" style is the one currently selected and also the one you like to change
2. Change the style parameters for the "Digital Clock" clock in the web interface in SBS and save it
3. Goto the Radio/Controller/Touch and enter the menu Settings/Screen/Screensavers/Custom Clock Settings/Style
4. Right click or knob click on some other style, for example "Analog Clock"
5. Right click or knob click on the "Digital Clock" style which you modified
6. Click left to exit the menu, this will also store the style changes

And of course, you need to make sure "Custom Clock" is selected as screen saver.

If it still doesn't work it might be a bug somewhere, but I think it should work because the predefined style "Digital Clock (red text)" works, doesn't it ?

Chunkywizard
2010-01-07, 23:25

I found you needed to select a different style then press back and then reselect the custom clock settings and select your custom style. You should see a spinny thing (does this have a name?) and the display will be refreshed. That's the only way I could see the changes

HTH

CW

mbonsack
2010-01-07, 23:35
I found you needed to select a different style then press back and then reselect the custom clock settings and select your custom style. You should see a spinny thing (does this have a name?) and the display will be refreshed. That's the only way I could see the changes

HTH

CW

That's what I missed in the instructions -- reloading the applet by going back and reloading the custom clock settings. Got the spinner like you said and that did the trick. Thanks!

erland
2010-01-07, 23:53
Anyone doing customization through the Custom Clock Helper plugin, please post a screenshot together with the customclockhelper.prefs file in this thread to make it easier for other users to use your configuration.

ModelCitizen
2010-01-08, 01:44
Hi Erland,

I've come across this applet rather late. It's very useful, so all thanks to you (again!). I've found the standard black background digital clock far too bright at night but have now rectified the problem by seleecting your red text clock and changing the text to dark grey. Perfect, and the layout is much better than the standard Logitech clock too.

I am now about to make a Now Playing screen save that will show album art, music details and a big clock. However, my first attempt failed as I seemed unable to choose a second custom clock. Can you just confirm that I can make and select a different custom clock for each of the three player states? A simpe yes or no would suffice.

Also. I can't work out what this option means:
"Restore to online version or delete if only available locally"

And. Can you confirm that a firmware update only deletes the applet and that a reinstall of it will automatically produce the previously made custom clocks, with no additional configuration required?

And.. in answer to your question above. I am fine with the customisation stuff to only reside on the web interface. I find that the player interface is too cluttered with it there. Not too sure what this means for TinySC though.

Anyway, again, thanks. Another great plugin (applet).

MC

erland
2010-01-08, 02:19
I am now about to make a Now Playing screen save that will show album art, music details and a big clock. However, my first attempt failed as I seemed unable to choose a second custom clock. Can you just confirm that I can make and select a different custom clock for each of the three player states? A simpe yes or no would suffice.

Custom Clock configuration is common for all states, so there is currently no way of having different configuration for different states. It's a good idea though.

You may also want to look at Information Screen applet/plugin combination if you like to do something related to the Now Playing screen.

Also. I can't work out what this option means:
"Restore to online version or delete if only available locally"

It will remove all local changes you have done for the currently selected style through the Custom Clock Helper plugin. If you have added a new style locally it will be removed, if you have modified one of the existing styles it will restore its settings to the default values.

And. Can you confirm that a firmware update only deletes the applet and that a reinstall of it will automatically produce the previously made custom clocks, with no additional configuration required?

That's correct, you will just have to go into Applet Installer and select the reinstall option after the firmware upgrade.

And.. in answer to your question above. I am fine with the customisation stuff to only reside on the web interface. I find that the player interface is too cluttered with it there. Not too sure what this means for TinySC though.

Yes, I've thought about this too, if I decide to continue with third party development I think I'll change it so all customizations are done in SBS web interface. This should make it possible to simplify the player settings a lot.

The configuration can be stored locally so any TinySC users can just setup a temporary SBS to do their configuration and after that only use TinySC and MySB.com.

erland
2010-02-13, 04:32
There is now a 2.0 version of Custom Clock applet and the corresponding Custom Clock Helper plugin.

It's a major upgrade so unfortunately it means that if you have made any custom styles with the old versions you won't be able to use them in this version. If you need help converting such styles, save the customclockhelper.prefs file before upgrading and post it here and I'll assist you.

The new features are:
- You can add any number of time text items in comparison to the earlier version which were limited to 3.
- It supports switchable now playing texts as the previous version but now also separate text items for artist, album, song
- Album cover can have any size and position
- Analog clock can have any size and position and it can also be shown together with a digital clock
- Play, repeat and shuffle status can be shown as custom icons
- Wireless and battery icons are available but I haven't tested these yet, so use them at your own risk.
- You can have 5 separate screen saver configurations, so it's possible to have a different clock when the player is stopped, off or playing.
- Immediate feedback on the player display when you adjust something in Custom Clock Helper plugin while the screen saver is activated on the player
- Easy export/import of styles made by other users

The procedure to create a new style is:
1. Install Custom Clock Helper plugin in Squeezebox Server through Plugin tab
2. Install Custom Clock applet in Radio/Touch/Controller through Applet Installer menu
3. In Custom Clock Helper plugin through SBS web interface, create a new style by going to the Custom Clock Helper settings, select the "Style: New..." option, or start with one of the existing styles or choose "Style: Import..." to import an existing style exported by someone else.
4. Give the style a name, check that you want it to be used on "Radio" and click Apply to save it.
5. On the Radio device select the style in Settings/Screen/Screensavers/Custom Clock Settings/Custom Clock #*"
6. On the Radio select Custom Clock as screen saver and wait for it to be activated

After these steps you can now continue editing the style in Squeezebox Server through the Custom Clock Helper settings page. When you click apply you will see the changes take effect immediately on the Radio display if the screen saver is activate.

I'm not sure all the previous clock styles looks exactly as before, so if you have used one of those and misses something, let me know and I'll add it again.

If you think the plugin is to advanced but knows some graphic design, please post images and I'm sure someone will be able to help you with the configuration.

So, let's start to design some clocks!

copperstate
2010-02-13, 17:33
There is now a 2.0 version of Custom Clock applet and the corresponding Custom Clock Helper plugin.
The new features are:
- You can add any number of time text items in comparison to the earlier version which were limited to 3.

Could you please post some instructions on how to set up the top and bottom text items in v2 ? :) The player settings from v1.2.1 seem to have vanished and I have not found any corresponding settings in the SBS either. :confused:

erland
2010-02-13, 20:11
Could you please post some instructions on how to set up the top and bottom text items in v2 ? :) The player settings from v1.2.1 seem to have vanished and I have not found any corresponding settings in the SBS either. :confused:

The setting page contains two parts:
1. The upper part that defined the style name, which model it's for and the backgrounds.
2. The bottom part which appears after you have saved once which contains a droplist where there is a "New item..." entry that you can create new items on the screen. Note that you need to save an item before you can select "New Item..." again to create the next one.

You can create any number of items in a clock style, the itemtype "timetext" is an item that contains some kind of clock format.

The standard "Digital clock" style bundled with the applet contains 3 different items.

The main big item at the center:
"itemtype": "timetext",
"fontsize": 110,
"posy": 60,
"text": "%H:%M"

The top item with a bit smaller font:
"fontsize": 35,
"posy": 10,
"text": "%A"

The bottom item with a bit smaller font:
"fontsize": 35,
"posy": 190,
"text": "%d %B"

tcutting
2010-02-13, 22:03
Erland-
I updated the applet to v2.0. I setup to use "Digital Clock (shaded cover)". I think that was what I used previously, but now it is displaying 24 hour time instead of 12 hour. I tried to modify the settings using the "Custom Clock Helper", but it doesn't seem to work for me... When I select one of the items, I get "Server Not Found" error.
My SBS is running v7.4.2 on Ubuntu. Could I not have some permissions set somewhere?

erland
2010-02-13, 23:13
Erland-
I updated the applet to v2.0. I setup to use "Digital Clock (shaded cover)". I think that was what I used previously, but now it is displaying 24 hour time instead of 12 hour. I tried to modify the settings using the "Custom Clock Helper", but it doesn't seem to work for me... When I select one of the items, I get "Server Not Found" error.
My SBS is running v7.4.2 on Ubuntu. Could I not have some permissions set somewhere?

I've just uploaded a 2.0.1 version of Custom Clock Helper that hopefully should solve this, there was a problem with some web browsers (at least Internet Explorer) in the 2.0 version.

copperstate
2010-02-14, 03:33
Thanks for the info. How do I set up the "Digital Clock (white text)" Style in custom clock helper so that it show the music stream info (if any) on the top and something like "Sun, Feb. 14" on the bottom?

P.S.: Why did you remove the really comfortable way to configure your screensaver on the radio itself? Is a downgrade to v1.2.1 still possible?

erland
2010-02-14, 04:08
Thanks for the info. How do I set up the "Digital Clock (white text)" Style in custom clock helper so that it show the music stream info (if any) on the top and something like "Sun, Feb. 14" on the bottom?

1. Activate the screen saver on the Radio
2. Change the "itemtype" parameter of Item #2 to "switchingplayingtracktext" and hit Apply to store the changes
3. Change the "text" parameter of Item #3 to "%a, %d %b" and hit Apply to store the changes

P.S.: Why did you remove the really comfortable way to configure your screensaver on the radio itself?

It got to complex to decide which configuration to use when the user did changes both in Custom Clock Helper and directly on the Radio. The new version should make it a lot easier to make custom styles, which hopefully will result in that you eventually will have more styles to choose among in the future.

Exactly which parameters would you like to be able to change directly on the radio ?

I suppose I could add the possibility to do some configuration on the Radio and just let them be overwritten if you change something in Custom Clock Helper ?
However, it doesn't make sense to make it possible to do all configurations directly on the Radio, so in that case I like to know exactly what you like to do on the Radio itself.

Is a downgrade to v1.2.1 still possible?

Only if you download the zip manually from my download page and use scp to copy it to the device, you really don't want to go this route. Let's instead focus on why you like to downgrade, is it just the possibility to configure it on the Radio itself ? Or is it something else ?

The reason I did this major update was to make it possible to configure styles as defined in these posts:
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?p=513736#post513736
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?p=514124#post514124
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?p=514273#post514273

copperstate
2010-02-14, 06:07
1. Activate the screen saver on the Radio
2. Change the "itemtype" parameter of Item #2 to "switchingplayingtracktext" and hit Apply to store the changes
3. Change the "text" parameter of Item #3 to "%a, %d %b" and hit Apply to store the changes

Thanks for your gracious help! It is again configured like it used to be. :)

Exactly which parameters would you like to be able to change directly on the radio ?

Even though I do think many people would be looking for that in the radio's settings and not the SBS, I think the issue is not so much whether the screen saver is configured locally or via the SBS, but the ease of use. The Custom Clock Helper is fine as an advanced settings pane, but what it is now lacking (imho) is a basic (user friendly) way to configure the screensaver. This was provided by the v1.2.1 local settings pane in the radio. Isn't it much easier to select sth. like "short day date" (e.g. Sun, Feb. 14) etc. than to figure out that "%a, %d %b" represents the same thing (especially as there seems to be no documentation as to which parameter represents what)?

I suppose I could add the possibility to do some configuration on the Radio and just let them be overwritten if you change something in Custom Clock Helper ?

Would it be very difficult to offer these three options (big time only, short day date and/or now playing for the top and bottom items) for example and inform the user on the SBS that any changes done in the Custom Clock Helper supersedes them?

erland
2010-02-14, 09:18
Isn't it much easier to select sth. like "short day date" (e.g. Sun, Feb. 14) etc. than to figure out that "%a, %d %b" represents the same thing (especially as there seems to be no documentation as to which parameter represents what)?

I agree, the formatting keywords needs to be simplified. Just for reference until I've been able to improve that, the available keywords can be found in the table on this page:
http://www.lua.org/pil/22.1.html

Would it be very difficult to offer these three options (big time only, short day date and/or now playing for the top and bottom items) for example and inform the user on the SBS that any changes done in the Custom Clock Helper supersedes them?

The "problem" with the new version is that it isn't as limited as the old one. In the old one you only had three items to configure but with the new one you can have any number of items.

However, it feels like a good idea to make it possible to at least select the date/time formats locally on the radio and maybe also do some other simple changes for other item types. I'll investigate if there is an easy way to accomplish this.

tcutting
2010-02-15, 09:46
I've just uploaded a 2.0.1 version of Custom Clock Helper that hopefully should solve this, there was a problem with some web browsers (at least Internet Explorer) in the 2.0 version.

Erland-
Thanks for the update. Was able to run the "helper" correctly under Firefox this time... was able to get back to 12-hour clock, and added AM/PM indicator - that alone is something I wanted in the previous version.
I couldn't figure out how to get "now playing" information to display (artist, album, track) - It was working on the previous version. I also tried to use the alarm icon, but that seemed to keep the screensaver from activating at all. Do any of the "standard" screensavers in the list have these features setup?

Thanks again!

Tom

erland
2010-02-15, 10:17
I couldn't figure out how to get "now playing" information to display (artist, album, track) - It was working on the previous version.

Look at this post:
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?p=516974#post516974

I also tried to use the alarm icon, but that seemed to keep the screensaver from activating at all.

Ok, probably some bug, I'll need to check that.

Do any of the "standard" screensavers in the list have these features setup?

No, so if you make some style that use it, please use the "Export" button and post the exported file as an attachment in this thread. You may need to change the extension to .txt to make the forum allow you to attach it.

erland
2010-02-17, 00:21
A new version of Custom Clock applet (2.1) and Custom Clock Helper plugin (2.1) is now available, the new features and correction are:
- Icons should now work, most items of type *icon didn't work at all in previous release
- Added support for title formats see below for more information
- Added support for new "ratingicon" item type to make it possible to provide rating star icons for the currently playing track

Regarding title formats, you can now in all "tracktext", "trackplayingtext", "trackstoppedtext" use the following keywords:
- ALBUM: Shows album title, was supported in previous version
- ARTIST: Shows artist name, was supported in previous version
- TITLE: Shows song title, was supported in previous version
- COMPOSER: Shows composer
- CONDUCTOR: Shows conductor
- BAND: Shows band
- ALBUMARTIST: Shows album artist
- TRACKARTIST: Shows track artist
- ELAPSED: Shows time the current song has been played
- DURATION: Shows the length of current song
- REMAINING: Shows the time left of current song
- TRACKNUM: Shows track number of current song
- DISC: Shows disc number of current song
- DISCCOUNT: Shows total number of discs
- X_Y: Shows the track number in playlist as "3/34"
- X_OF_Y: Shows the track number in playlist as "3 of 34"

In addition to this, you wan also configure additional title formats to be shown if you have the Custom Clock Helper plugin. This is done by going into Custom Clock Helper plugin settings and selecting "Various Settings". I haven't tried it yet, but the idea is that it should make it possible to use any title formats available in the SBS settings/Interface settings section, for example those provided by Custom Scan plugin.

erland
2010-02-19, 00:01
There is now a 2.2 version of both plugin and applet available that adds support for:
- Custom fonts
- Rotating images

I suppose this will make some people go nuts, but here is a screen shot of a sample cassette style. The attached txt file is the style which you can import in the 2.2 version of Custom Clock Helper. Yes, the wheels rotates when you play music. No, they don't rotate with different speeds depending on the elapsed time.

It can be improved a lot by someone with graphic skills, I just wanted throw something together that shows the concept of custom fonts and rotating images.

Thanks for Rikk for the images, couldn't have done this without you.

Rikk
2010-02-19, 03:55
in the polaroid there is the album cover art

bluegaspode
2010-02-19, 09:13
you are crazy people :)

Going retro with your Squeezebox.
Now I'm thinking of bying a Touch, just because it looks so cool *g* ...

erland
2010-02-19, 09:44

I love it!

The only possible issue I can see is that the fonts are probably going to be pretty small on the Radio display, can't wait for you to post some style based on this so I can make it work on the Touch with a larger display.

erland
2010-02-19, 09:45
Is there no one else with some graphical skills besides Rikk that want to make a cool clock/now playing style ?

There got to be more people interested in graphic design around here ?

Wouldn't it be cool to be known as the person who make that really cool clock or that really cool now playing style ?

If you think it's to hard to configure it but are good at drawing, just post the images and someone else can compose them into a clock/now playing style.

tcutting
2010-02-19, 10:42
Erland-
If you call out a custom font on one item, do you have to specify fonts for ALL the items? I tried to change one of my fonts to "FreeSansBold.ttf", but it doesn't seem to work, although when I update it looks like it picks up the font at first, then reverts to whatever is standard.
Also, I assume this is an "internal" font - is there a listing of fonts available internally/native?

erland
2010-02-19, 10:57
Erland-
If you call out a custom font on one item, do you have to specify fonts for ALL the items?

No, for the items that are empty it should use FreeSans.ttf which is the default font.

I tried to change one of my fonts to "FreeSansBold.ttf", but it doesn't seem to work, although when I update it looks like it picks up the font at first, then reverts to whatever is standard.
Also, I assume this is an "internal" font - is there a listing of fonts available internally/native?

For internal fonts, you will need to specify both "fonturl" and "fontfile" and set them to one of:
FreeSansBold.ttf
FreeSans.ttf

For internal files it's currently important to specify both "fonturl" and "fontfile", in the next version is should be enough to specify one of them.

For external fonts, you will either need to:
1. Specify "fonturl" and point it to a url to a ttf file
or
2. Specify "fonturl" so it points to a url to a zip and specify "fontfile" so it specifies the filename of the ttf file inside the zip.

I think there might be some bug that doesn't refresh the fonts correctly the first time you download a font file, it can usually be solved by saving the settings in Custom Clock Helper a second time while the screen saver is active. I think temporarily changing to another Custom Clock style also will solve it, but just saving the settings twice in Custom Clock Helper should be an easier way to do it.

MeSue
2010-02-19, 11:58
Is there no one else with some graphical skills besides Rikk that want to make a cool clock/now playing style ?

There got to be more people interested in graphic design around here ?

Wouldn't it be cool to be known as the person who make that really cool clock or that really cool now playing style ?

If you think it's to hard to configure it but are good at drawing, just post the images and someone else can compose them into a clock/now playing style.

I could probably help if I had more time!

When summer rolls around and I'm using the Radio outside more I will probably be more motivated to work on custom clocks. When the Radio spends most of the time in the bathroom, the default screen savers are good enough.

autopilot
2010-02-19, 12:11
There is now a 2.2 version of both plugin and applet available that adds support for:
- Custom fonts
- Rotating images

I suppose this will make some people go nuts, but here is a screen shot of a sample cassette style. The attached txt file is the style which you can import in the 2.2 version of Custom Clock Helper. Yes, the wheels rotates when you play music. No, they don't rotate with different speeds depending on the elapsed time.

It can be improved a lot by someone with graphic skills, I just wanted throw something together that shows the concept of custom fonts and rotating images.

Thanks for Rikk for the images, couldn't have done this without you.

At last :)

Loving the cassette tape, been looking forward to this since we talked about it in the Touch beta forum. However, we really need to this running full screen on the Touch. It will look AMAZING.

BTW, just to be picky, any chance of a better tape graphic like the one posted in the beta forum? If i was not usless i would do it myself, but i am :)

Good work Erland. I'm doing a little moonwalk right now for you sir.

albright
2010-02-19, 12:28
if anyone has the time and inclination could you
please explain - exactly - how you install that
fancy cassette theme in custom clock (I have 2.2
cchelper but see no import function).

thanks in advance

erland
2010-02-19, 13:54
if anyone has the time and inclination could you
please explain - exactly - how you install that
fancy cassette theme in custom clock (I have 2.2
cchelper but see no import function).

1. Install the Custom Clock Helper plugin in Squeezebox Server.
2. Open up the txt file attatched to my earlier post (the one with the first cassette theme), copy all text
3. Open upp SBS web interface and goto Settings/Plugins/Custom Clock Helper and in the style droplist select "Style: Import..."
4. Paste the copied text from point 2 to the "Paste JSON text from exported file" field and save
5. On the Radio, make sure to install the Custom Clock applet and then goto "Settings/Screen/Screensavers/Custom Clock Settings/Config #1" and select the new style "Cassette" in the drop list.
6. Select "Custom Clock #1" as the screen saver on the Radio.

iPhone
2010-02-19, 14:52
you are crazy people :)

Going retro with your Squeezebox.
Now I'm thinking of bying a Touch, just because it looks so cool *g* ...

There was talk about the old style flip clocks from the 70's, like the one Bill Murray keeps smashing in "Groundhog Day". Did anything ever come of that?

Of course that discussion could easily have been on the Touch Beta Forum and never made it over here as it was a long time ago if I remember correctly.

erland
2010-02-20, 03:38
There is now a 2.3 version of Custom Clock Helper plugin and Custom Clock applet available, the news are:
- All text items will now scroll if the text is too long
- The artwork handling should now work better, especially for internet radio and it also preloads artwork for next track to get a more seamless switch
- I've also added an option to replace the standard Now Playing screen with a Custom Clock style (There isn't any official API for this, so I'm not sure yet if it will work in all situations)

albright
2010-02-20, 06:52
thanks for the instructions erland - that cassette
style is "out there"

tcutting
2010-02-20, 13:31
Erland-
GREAT! I just upgraded, and replaced "Now Playing", and am watching long information string scroll!!!
I'm struggling a little with the wireless icons. It's not obvious which item is for what. It looks like "url" is for FULL, url.3 for "2-bars", url2 for "1-bar" and url.1 for "0-bars". Also, what are url.ERROR, url.NONE and url.SERVERERROR for?
I'll try to post my "Now Playing" screensaver in a bit - unfortunately I haven't been able to get a screen shot - I tried running Squeezeplay 7.5, but it doesn't seem to connect, and I don't know how to make it emulate a Radio.

pippin
2010-02-20, 13:46

hey, do you have a config file for that one?

erland
2010-02-20, 13:54
I'm struggling a little with the wireless icons. It's not obvious which item is for what. It looks like "url" is for FULL, url.3 for "2-bars", url2 for "1-bar" and url.1 for "0-bars". Also, what are url.ERROR, url.NONE and url.SERVERERROR for?

"url" is just for backup if you haven't specify all of the others.

This is the icons used in standard Radio:
- url.NONE: No image
- url.ERROR: http://svn.slimdevices.com/repos/jive/7.5/trunk/squeezeplay/src/squeezeplay/share/applets/QVGAbaseSkin/images/Icons/icon_wireless_disabled.png
- url.SERVERERROR: http://svn.slimdevices.com/repos/jive/7.5/trunk/squeezeplay/src/squeezeplay/share/applets/QVGAbaseSkin/images/Icons/icon_wireless_cantconnect.png
- url.1: http://svn.slimdevices.com/repos/jive/7.5/trunk/squeezeplay/src/squeezeplay/share/applets/QVGAbaseSkin/images/Icons/icon_wireless_1.png
- url.2: http://svn.slimdevices.com/repos/jive/7.5/trunk/squeezeplay/src/squeezeplay/share/applets/QVGAbaseSkin/images/Icons/icon_wireless_2.png
- url.3: http://svn.slimdevices.com/repos/jive/7.5/trunk/squeezeplay/src/squeezeplay/share/applets/QVGAbaseSkin/images/Icons/icon_wireless_3.png
- url.4: http://svn.slimdevices.com/repos/jive/7.5/trunk/squeezeplay/src/squeezeplay/share/applets/QVGAbaseSkin/images/Icons/icon_wireless_4.png

I think there should be a url.4 which is currently missing in the Custom Clock Helper, but you should be able to use "url" for that until I've fixed it.

I'll try to post my "Now Playing" screensaver in a bit - unfortunately I haven't been able to get a screen shot - I tried running Squeezeplay 7.5, but it doesn't seem to connect, and I don't know how to make it emulate a Radio.

If you get it to work, you can just goto "Settings/Screen/Select Skin" and choose the "QVGA Landscape Skin"

You can also take screen shots directly on the Radio, I read it somewhere on the forum but I can't find the thread now. Maybe someone else reading this knows...

tcutting
2010-02-20, 14:38
I couldn't get a screenshot, so I took a picture - quality isn't too good, but it gives an idea.
EDIT- thanks to suggestion, managed to take actual screen capture on Radio, so I've replaced that image.

The background is based on one Rikk posted earlier. Displays AlarmIcon with next alarm time below main clock. Also has the wireless icons, but don't know if have them right yet. My graphic skills aren't that great, but it's not too bad.
On the wireless icons, tried an experiment to find out what the other url's should be, but didn't seem to work - I shut down the server to see what would happen, but the icon didn't change (the built-in screens should blue wireless icon), and shut down wireless network and again didn't change (built-in screens showed red wireless icon).

Tom

bluegaspode
2010-02-20, 15:18
Can someone create templates for the clocks as we know them, but just with the next alarm time visible ?
Maybe there should be a wiki-page with screenshots and corresponding templates ?

copperstate
2010-02-20, 15:51
You can also take screen shots directly on the Radio, I read it somewhere on the forum but I can't find the thread now. Maybe someone else reading this knows...
I think you have to press the rewind and pause buttons at the same time to take a screen shot (the left and middle button in the upper row to the right side of the big knob)

tcutting
2010-02-21, 12:40
Here's the other screensaver I am using. I use this as a "basic clock" for "when off" and "when stopped". It's a big 12 hour clock with small am/pm. It has wireless icon, alarm icon and next alarm text, and has play state icon (play, pause, stop).

Tom

tcutting
2010-02-21, 12:54
Erland,
The icons for internet radio now work - nice improvement.
I noticed something a little strange with the alarm icon and text - the was no alarm this morning so no icon/text, but do have an alarm scheduled for Monday morning. The icon/text didn't update until it powered Radio on then off (this was for the "when off" screensaver).
I did, however, try to enable and disable the alarm using the controller so I could keep the radio "off", and the icon/text updated appropriately. Don't know if this is anything the Custom Clock applet has control over - I know, it's a minor thing!
Thanks for the awesome applet.

Well... something else I just noticed... I am listening to an internet radio station. The "TITLE" field is showing what looks to be "ARTIST" - "ALBUM" from an apparently random album. The field below (should be the actual "ARTIST" - "ALBUM" field) is displaying what appears to be correct information on the internet radio station. This is with the "now playing" screensaver I posted a few posts back.
NEVER MIND... I think it was a string that was in the internet stream... I was listening to a "cooking" show on a newsradio station, and the "TITLE" field was displaying "The Moody Blues - The Story in your Eyes"... then after the commercial break, that song came up! Sorry for the "false alarm"!

erland
2010-02-21, 15:56
I've added a wiki page where all available styles so far is listed.
I plan to include some of them as bundled styles but I thought it might be a good idea to be able to see screen dumps of them in a common place.

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Custom_Clock_styles

If you make your own style or have ideas of one, post it in this thread or on the wiki page.

erland
2010-02-21, 23:41
I noticed something a little strange with the alarm icon and text - the was no alarm this morning so no icon/text, but do have an alarm scheduled for Monday morning. The icon/text didn't update until it powered Radio on then off (this was for the "when off" screensaver).
I did, however, try to enable and disable the alarm using the controller so I could keep the radio "off", and the icon/text updated appropriately.

I'm not sure exactly in which situations it's suppose to update the alarm state, I've seen similar behavior when I set/remove an alarm through the web interface. I just read the alarm state from the client status on the player and it seems like it's not updated in some situations.

I posted a thread in the development forum regarding this:
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=75524

Rikk
2010-02-22, 00:47
hey, do you have a config file for that one?
not yet, it's just a mokeup at the moment

Rikk
2010-02-22, 00:52
I couldn't get a screenshot, so I took a picture - quality isn't too good, but it gives an idea.
EDIT- thanks to suggestion, managed to take actual screen capture on Radio, so I've replaced that image.

The background is based on one Rikk posted earlier. Displays AlarmIcon with next alarm time below main clock. Also has the wireless icons, but don't know if have them right yet. My graphic skills aren't that great, but it's not too bad.
On the wireless icons, tried an experiment to find out what the other url's should be, but didn't seem to work - I shut down the server to see what would happen, but the icon didn't change (the built-in screens should blue wireless icon), and shut down wireless network and again didn't change (built-in screens showed red wireless icon).

Tom
I don't understand why I seem to be the only one that doesn't see cd cover! Tom, please, what kind of cover art do you have on your database? jpeg, png, ... ?
How are they put? each one in its album directory, all in a dir, ... ?
Where did you put my background, in the background field or in the clock face?

Chunkywizard
2010-02-22, 01:27
My very simple style has been updated for V2. I plan to add a few icons to it, but at the moment it is as attached. Note, it's transparent so you can change the wallpaper. Can you add it to the Wiki?

CW

Rikk
2010-02-22, 06:55
this could be another one , old stile clock radio...

Rikk
2010-02-22, 07:39
do you like Ferrari ?

Rikk
2010-02-22, 08:25
a simple style for a clock, in two nouances

tcutting
2010-02-22, 09:28
I don't understand why I seem to be the only one that doesn't see cd cover! Tom, please, what kind of cover art do you have on your database? jpeg, png, ... ?

Rikk-
My cover art is stored as "folder.jpg" file in each album directory.
If you imported the file I posted, you should be able to see how everything is setup in the helper program... the background is in the background field.

bluegaspode
2010-02-22, 09:55
Rikk,

all those cool styles could become a unique selling proposition for logitech marketing for the SB-Radio !
Hope someone reads and uses this ...

erland
2010-02-22, 10:28
Rikk,

all those cool styles could become a unique selling proposition for logitech marketing for the SB-Radio !

Agreed, isn't it nice when something gets better than your wildest imagination.

Rikk, if you prefer to focus on the graphics and want help with configuring them, please for each style just post:
1. Your mockup
2. All relevant images as a separate png image
3. Information about the name of the font you have used (preferably with an url to it if you found it somewhere online)

Rikk, once again, I really LOVE your graphic design skills

erland
2010-02-22, 10:32
My very simple style has been updated for V2. I plan to add a few icons to it, but at the moment it is as attached. Note, it's transparent so you can change the wallpaper. Can you add it to the Wiki?

I've added it, in the future, please use the "Export" button in Custom Clock Helper settings to export the style, it's easier for other people to import that format.

I've exported the one you posted earlier in this post, so you don't have to do it for this one.

erland
2010-02-22, 11:04
do you like Ferrari ?

Hmm, I wonder if it would be possible to use the speedometer as a Visualizer/VU-meter when the music is playing. I'm not sure the Radio has hardware support for visualizers but I know the Touch have it.

autopilot
2010-02-22, 11:06
I would like to see a really classy looking retro flip clock, something like...

http://www.swiss-miss.com/wp-content/uploads/legacy/photos/uncategorized/2008/06/29/twemco_flip_clock2.jpg

http://la.apartmenttherapy.com/images/uploads/furni-flip-clock2.jpg

Animated would be nice.

Most styles mentioned in this tread as going to look even better on the Touchs screen.

erland
2010-02-22, 11:07
Could you mail or PM me one of your cover art files and I'll try it in my own setup.

Are you using separate mp3/flac files for each track or are you using flac cuesheet with a whole album in a single flac file ?

erland
2010-02-22, 11:14

Animated would be nice.

If we skip the animation it should be fairly simple if someone just provides the background graphics and finds a suitable font. The problem is the animation, I'm not sure yet how to handle that in a generic way.

However, this is a also a perfect project for someone that wants to get into applet development.

Juggler
2010-02-22, 11:21
I've now installed CustomClock v2.3 and love the new customizability. Two questions:

1. Once I start something playing (either Internet radio or local music file) it seems to take 5 - 10s before CustomClock reformats the display from the default "now playing". Likewise, once CustomClock is displaying as now playing and I change the volume the Radio defaults back to the original Now Playing and takes 5 - 10s to re-display CustomClock. Is anyone else experiencing this?

2. Is there any way to have the Radio scroll-bar (i.e. position in song, animated) appear?

Love the applet - thanks!

erland
2010-02-22, 11:31
1. Once I start something playing (either Internet radio or local music file) it seems to take 5 - 10s before CustomClock reformats the display from the default "now playing". Likewise, once CustomClock is displaying as now playing and I change the volume the Radio defaults back to the original Now Playing and takes 5 - 10s to re-display CustomClock. Is anyone else experiencing this?

I assume this is because the screen saver is deactivated when you push some button. You can probably use the option in "Settings/Screen/Custom Clock Settings/Replace Now Playing" to replace the standard Now Playing screen if you like to avoid it.

Or are you talking about the fact that it takes some time before all the images are loaded completely ?

2. Is there any way to have the Radio scroll-bar (i.e. position in song, animated) appear?

Not yet, it's on the todo list.

Juggler
2010-02-22, 11:35
That did it... thanks. Hadn't replaced Now Playing.

Thank you for all of your work -- the Radio is now a VERY attractive device!

autopilot
2010-02-22, 11:38
If we skip the animation it should be fairly simple if someone just provides the background graphics and finds a suitable font. The problem is the animation, I'm not sure yet how to handle that in a generic way.

However, this is a also a perfect project for someone that wants to get into applet development.

Would it be possible to use images for the different numbers instead on a font (which would look very artificial over a decent back ground image)?

bluegaspode
2010-02-22, 14:12
Hmm, I wonder if it would be possible to use the speedometer as a Visualizer/VU-meter when the music is playing. I'm not sure the Radio has hardware support for visualizers but I know the Touch have it.

There is a method decode:vumeter(), just search for VuMeter.lua to see how its used.

Beeing on a 7.4.1 firmware on the Radio you'll find an applet 'Experiments'.
This is not activated on the Radio, but if you look at the ExperimentsMeta.lua you can simply add the radio.

local _supportedMachines = {
["baby"] = 1,

Now you'll find Settings->Advanced Settings->Beta Features->UI Experiments and can active a VUMeter for all screens. It's overlayed and barely visible on the right side of each screen but working ...

Now just make the VU-Setting the rotation-angle of an image and here we go :)

Rikk
2010-02-22, 15:33
Rikk,

well, that would be nice. Who knows...

Rikk
2010-02-22, 15:39
Rikk, if you prefer to focus on the graphics and want help with configuring them, please for each style just post:
1. Your mockup
2. All relevant images as a separate png image
3. Information about the name of the font you have used (preferably with an url to it if you found it somewhere online)
ok, thanks, actually I can't dedicate all the time I'd like to, I really like build these screens, so for some of them I'll post the drawings. About the fonts, I copyed from your cassette style, so I refer to the site you used there.

Rikk, once again, I really LOVE your graphic design skills
thank you, you too did a great job, I think this is a great team work!

Rikk
2010-02-22, 15:42
gorgeous!!!

Another big improvemnt would be to have news feeds available in a text field.

Rikk
2010-02-22, 15:49

http://www.swiss-miss.com/wp-content/uploads/legacy/photos/uncategorized/2008/06/29/twemco_flip_clock2.jpg

http://la.apartmenttherapy.com/images/uploads/furni-flip-clock2.jpg

Animated would be nice.

Most styles mentioned in this tread as going to look even better on the Touchs screen.
I made some researches on this last week, but found that that particular font is not free. Obviously I'm talking of the original one, referred to the system invented in '50 by Remigio Solari. http://blog.giofugatype.com/?tag=tipografi. So, unless someone does know a free source for that font, at the moment there is no hope.

Rikk
2010-02-22, 15:54
Could you mail or PM me one of your cover art files and I'll try it in my own setup.

Are you using separate mp3/flac files for each track or are you using flac cuesheet with a whole album in a single flac file ?
sure, I'm posting one here. I have all single mp3.
By the way, right now I updated to version 2.3 and now magically the screen saver that yesterday wasn't working, now seems to work! I mean it shows the cover icon. Very well indeed.

Rikk
2010-02-22, 16:26
even from deezer now I see the cover ! yahoo!

Rikk
2010-02-22, 17:11
an analog only clock for good sleep...

EDIT: I had to change font and color...

erland
2010-02-22, 23:47
A 2.4 version of applet and plugin is now available, the news are a new "elapsedimage" item type which can be used to show progress as:
- A sliding icon, similar to the standard progress bar
- A clipping image, it shows a bigger part of the image when the track has played longer
- A rotating image, for example show progress with the speedometer in the earlier posted Ferrari mockup.

A stupid test style to show the concept is attached to this post, this style is not designed to be useful or good looking, it's just a template so you get some more information how to setup the elapsedimage item type.

erland
2010-02-22, 23:51
sure, I'm posting one here. I have all single mp3.
By the way, right now I updated to version 2.3 and now magically the screen saver that yesterday wasn't working, now seems to work! I mean it shows the cover icon. Very well indeed.

I changed parts of the artwork handling in 2.3, so that's probably the explanation.
Are you saying that all your cover art now works as it should ?

tcutting
2010-02-23, 00:00
I liked Rikk's "Simple Gray" background, so I created an active screensaver clock using it. I used standard fonts, however, so it's not quite like his sample (and I did 12 hour with am/pm which is my personal preference).

Tom

Rikk
2010-02-23, 01:30
I changed parts of the artwork handling in 2.3, so that's probably the explanation.
Are you saying that all your cover art now works as it should ?

Yes! :)

Rikk
2010-02-23, 01:31
I liked Rikk's "Simple Gray" background, so I created an active screensaver clock using it. I used standard fonts, however, so it's not quite like his sample (and I did 12 hour with am/pm which is my personal preference).
Tom
Very nice, my compliments

Rikk
2010-02-23, 02:07
finally, this are the pieces for the "cassetta" style for radio.
I'm working on the touch version.

Rikk
2010-02-23, 02:33
these are the pieces for touch version

Rikk
2010-02-23, 04:44
this one is to play with VU Meters in the touch version
I don't know if the VU Meter hand is good in this way or not, let me know any correction.
Obviously, being the Touch a touch, pushbuttons in the bottom can be active! So play, pause, next, ...
Besides, I don't know if already supported.
The font name I used is still from the site Erland referred to, and is Minisystem for date and time and SF Telegraphic for song artist album

Rikk
2010-02-23, 04:46
rhis is the radio version

Mike Meyer
2010-02-23, 07:41
This is the stuff that is finally going to force me off of 7.3.3. Good work guys.

Rikk
2010-02-23, 07:50
another analog clock

EDIT: replaced PNGs for better hands

bluegaspode
2010-02-23, 08:11
Do you draw all this pictures yourself or if not - where do you take them all from (just asking because of possible licensing/copyright issues) ?

Rikk
2010-02-23, 09:18
Do you draw all this pictures yourself or if not - where do you take them all from (just asking because of possible licensing/copyright issues) ?
well, depends. Sometimes I draw them, sometimes I make collages of pieces.
E.g. the "VU Meters" style is made of parts of pictures taken googling "VU meters", and then there is a part of the front panel of my Yamaha Receiver. Plus a piece of a googling for "display" (the red one).

Many others are completely drawn by me, so the copyright is mine :)

carp
2010-02-23, 15:20
Is it possible to get localised descriptions for weekdays and months (in my case on the controller)? Currently they are always displayed in English, although my system is set to German.

Squeezebox Server Version: 7.4.2 - r30085, OS: Windows Home Server

bluegaspode
2010-02-23, 16:06
You should vote for this bug: http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=14538

As SqueezePlay is now under a different license erland could 'borrow' the translations from the original clock applet though.

erland
2010-02-23, 23:10
Is it possible to get localised descriptions for weekdays and months (in my case on the controller)? Currently they are always displayed in English, although my system is set to German.

The next version will use your language setting.

erland
2010-02-23, 23:53
this one is to play with VU Meters in the touch version
I don't know if the VU Meter hand is good in this way or not, let me know any correction.

I'd suggest that you focus on styles without VU Meters until I've tried to implement it. I should have enough VU Meter graphics now to be able to test it.

Apparently the CPU on the Radio isn't able to handle VU Meters according to Logitech sources, for the Touch we know it works but I'm not yet sure if the Touch CPU will be able to able to handle both clock information and VU Meters on the same screen.

I think the issue is drawing stuff with a high frame rate, so if someone has an idea of VU meter functionality that doesn't need high frame rate that should probably work also on the Radio.

Your VU meter graphics looks really great by the way.

Also, regarding clock hand/pointer images, it's good if they are made so the point which the hand should rotate around is in the center of the image because currently I just rotate the image around its center. The style can place the hand image anywhere on the screen, but it's always rotated around its center. So typically the hand image should be a smaller than the complete screen. I saw that the "hand" images you posted yesterday seemed to be a image that covered the whole screen which result in that the hand wasn't centered on the image. The same thing will also apply to the VM Meter hand/pointer images.

I might possibly add functionality so you can specify the rotation point in the style some time in the future, especially if we get performance problem rotating large images. However, at the moment I'll just rotate them around the image center point.

I'm sure someone can fix your hand images you posted earlier if you prefer to focus on making more new styles.

Rikk
2010-02-24, 03:17
Also, regarding clock hand/pointer images, it's good if they are made so the point which the hand should rotate around is in the center of the image because currently I just rotate the image around its center.
ok, I agree without any doubt.

The style can place the hand image anywhere on the screen,
Mmmmhhhh, I'm not sure about this; if I remember well, there is no way to specify coordinates for the hand image, just the url of the image itself.

but it's always rotated around its center.
Thinking at a layered clock, with one layer for the face and one for the hand, there is no other way than putting both in the center to have it to work. In fact, if the hand image doesn't pass through the screen center, the effect will be of an errating hand through the screen, instead of a rotating hand.

So, now I'm thinking that my style with the tag heuer ("cassetta") will never work. I have to redraw it with the watch in the center.

So typically the hand image should be a smaller than the complete screen.
Unless you're concerned for performance, I can't see why...

I saw that the "hand" images you posted yesterday seemed to be a image that covered the whole screen
yes, it is

which result in that the hand wasn't centered on the image.
It is centered. Actually sizing the image as the entire screen is the only way to be sure it's centered. Even because if you look at the second's hand for example, it doesn't starts from the screen center, but has a "tail" beyond it. So determining an exact square, smaller than screen size, that has its center on the hand's rotation point and the correct size to be balanced, is a little more complicated.
Anyway, if there are performance issues, I'll do that.
By the way, yesterday evening I configured the style and it's perfectly working.

Or perhaps... are you talking about the barso clock or the Tag Heuer in "Cassette"?

I might possibly add functionality so you can specify the rotation point in the style some time in the future, especially if we get performance problem rotating large images. However, at the moment I'll just rotate them around the image center point.
This would be great: would open another big bunch of possibilities.
We need two couple of coordinates (rotation point on the screen and rotation point of the image), unless you presuppose that the hand's image is always a square that rotates around its center.

Let me know... ;)

erland
2010-02-24, 03:31
Mmmmhhhh, I'm not sure about this; if I remember well, there is no way to specify coordinates for the hand image, just the url of the image itself.

I should probably move these attribute to the item themselves, but at the moment you have a clockposx and clockposy parameter in the upper part of the style configuration in Custom Clock Helper.

So, now I'm thinking that my style with the tag heuer ("cassetta") will never work. I have to redraw it with the watch in the center.

Don't worry, it will work perfectly as it is, if you just provide the hand images as square images so I can rotate them around their center. The background image can be left as it is.

Unless someone else already has done it tonight when I get home from work, I'll configure the Cassetta style to show how it works.

Or perhaps... are you talking about the barso clock or the Tag Heuer in "Cassette"?

I was talking about the Cassetta style where you have the clock on the right side.

unless you presuppose that the hand's image is always a square that rotates around its center.

At the moment the logic assumes that the hand image is a square image with the hand in the 12:00 position. The image will be rotated around its center and you can place it any where on the screen using the "clockposx" and "clockposy" parameters. Theoretically I think it will work with a non square image as long as it can be rotated around the image center.

Rikk
2010-02-24, 03:45
I should probably move these attribute to the item themselves, but at the moment you have a clockposx and clockposy parameter in the upper part of the style configuration in Custom Clock Helper.
AAAAAAAAhhhhhhhhh.... I've always asked myself what were they for.... :)

Don't worry, it will work perfectly as it is, if you just provide the hand images as square images so I can rotate them around their center. The background image can be left as it is.
Damn! I just changed it three minutes ago.... ok...

I was talking about the Cassetta style where you have the clock on the right side.
AAAAAhhhhh - again....

At the moment the logic assumes that the hand image is a square image with the hand in the 12:00 position. The image will be rotated around its center and you can place it any where on the screen using the "clockposx" and "clockposy" parameters. Theoretically I think it will work with a non square image as long as it can be rotated around the image center.
Ok!

This is how I redrawed it, so you can choose, and then the hands.

erland
2010-02-24, 23:32
Here is the Cassetta style configurations for Radio and Touch based on Rikk's images.

Rikk, the cassette wheels you posted earlier in the Dilemma thread is slightly too small for the Touch, so if you have larger ones available, please post them. If not, I'm sure someone can resize the images which were posted here:
http://forums.slimdevices.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=9289&stc=1&d=1266524278

I think we can probably do some adjustments in fonts and font sizes, I just had the time to setup the default fonts at the moment. Maybe some stylish handwriting font for the track information on the cassette label for example. Anyway, if anyone is interested, please start customizing them and post your improvements.

Also, I'll add support for black text in next version of applet/plugin, at the moment the "darkgray" color is as black as it gets.

I've tried it on the Radio and my spontaneous reaction is that it looks really cool but the fonts get rather small on the small radio screen.

Rikk
2010-02-25, 00:48
the wheels came as a cut from the cassette itself, so they were exactly the size of the hole they left; now I resized them increasing their size of 10%, check if now they fit better.

tcutting
2010-02-25, 11:42
Some issues with the the applet and helper:
I finally got SqueezePlay running from v7.5 - a few nights ago the one I downloaded did not have a working applet installer. That now works, and was able to install the Custom Clock applet - BUT, when a custom clock screensaver tries to activate, SqueezePlay crashes.
2nd - I was working to update a Custom Clock screensaver last night, and the real-time updates seemed to have stopped working. I don't know if it's the latest version of the "helper" program, or the fact that when I updated SBS, it updated to 7.4.3 (I am pointing to the "nightly" versions which were 7.4.2 until the official release). The programs still work, but I had to manually switch Custom Clock to a different screensaver, and then back to the one I was working on to see a change.

Tom

erland
2010-02-25, 23:21
the wheels came as a cut from the cassette itself, so they were exactly the size of the hole they left; now I resized them increasing their size of 10%, check if now they fit better.

Thanks, that's a lot better, I've updated the Touch configuration in my previous post.

erland
2010-02-25, 23:30
Some issues with the the applet and helper:
I finally got SqueezePlay running from v7.5 - a few nights ago the one I downloaded did not have a working applet installer. That now works, and was able to install the Custom Clock applet - BUT, when a custom clock screensaver tries to activate, SqueezePlay crashes.

I've only used Squeezeplay on Linux and there it works perfectly, I assume you are using Windows ?
Is there some log from Squeezeplay you can send me ?

2nd - I was working to update a Custom Clock screensaver last night, and the real-time updates seemed to have stopped working. I don't know if it's the latest version of the "helper" program, or the fact that when I updated SBS, it updated to 7.4.3 (I am pointing to the "nightly" versions which were 7.4.2 until the official release). The programs still work, but I had to manually switch Custom Clock to a different screensaver, and then back to the one I was working on to see a change.

I think it only sends the notification to the selected player, so you need to make sure your player is selected in the web ui before changing the settings. Could this explain what you are seeing ?

Rikk
2010-02-26, 08:15
who likes this and want to implement it?

bluegaspode
2010-02-26, 08:57
this one is too much drugs for me :)

tcutting
2010-02-26, 09:07
I've only used Squeezeplay on Linux and there it works perfectly, I assume you are using Windows ?

I think it only sends the notification to the selected player, so you need to make sure your player is selected in the web ui before changing the settings. Could this explain what you are seeing ?

I looked in the server logs and didn't find anything.

As far as using the selected player, that was it!

erland
2010-02-26, 11:21
I looked in the server logs and didn't find anything.

I meant the Squeezeplay log, not the server log.
I'm not sure where it is on Windows. On Linux I just start it from the command line and I get the log output in the console window where I started it.

tcutting
2010-02-26, 11:25
I'll try to look tonight... may be a way to run from command line, and see if it logs errors. Right now I just get the Windows screen saying something like "an error has occured and program needs to be shut down." and offers to send info to Microsoft.

tcutting
2010-02-27, 00:39
Here is an updated screensaver for use as "Now Playing". It's based on one posted previously, but utilizes several of the new features Erland added, including elapsed slider, and in general is a more organized layout. I also am using more standard icons instead of ones I created.

Tom

tcutting
2010-02-27, 00:50
Here's a cleaned-up screensaver I use for "When Off". The clock is about as big as it can get, and has a lot of contrast, so I can read it at night when I don't have glasses on. Other than that it's very simple with just key information (day, date, alarm status, play status, wireless status, and battery status... it's not shown here since I don't have a battery yet!)

autopilot
2010-02-27, 01:50
Here's a cleaned-up screensaver I use for "When Off". The clock is about as big as it can get, and has a lot of contrast, so I can read it at night when I don't have glasses on. Other than that it's very simple with just key information (day, date, alarm status, play status, wireless status, and battery status... it's not shown here since I don't have a battery yet!)

I like the shadow look, simple and retro. Slightly 70's looking but classy. I would love to have that on my touch.

squishy
2010-02-27, 08:44
Apologies if this has been already asked....

I'm using the custom clock applet to override the digital clock when the radio is off. Works great and looks much better than the default.
But I'd also like to make use of the great now-playing screensaver that Rik has created. As far as I can tell the custom clock applet only allows one "flavour" at a time, meaning I can't do both of the above. Or can I ?.....

Edit: A little later....

D'oh. Just discovered that the latest version makes this all clear...
ie You can now have several custom screensavers AND you can override the default "now playing" screen. (so no need to wait 10 seconds for the screensaver to kick in)
One other thing confused me for a little while: It would revert to the default "now playing" screen after 10 seconds of Riks version.
(I think becasue I had set a screensaver for "when playing" - this isnt needed if you override the default screen)

Great work Erland. And nice design Rikk.

abysmillard
2010-02-27, 08:55
I installed the latest version of Custom Clock and CC Helper yesterday. At first it worked fine with the default settings. Once I tried to customize a clock using CC Helper, everything stopped working. If I have Custom Clock set as my screensaver, it never kicks in. The radio can play for hours showing whatever screen I left it showing. If I set the screensaver to one of the SBR standards, behavior is normal.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling both the applet and the plug-in with no effect.

Any ideas where I should go from here to troubleshoot?

Thanks.

Rikk
2010-02-27, 09:16
One other thing confused me for a little while: It would revert to the default "now playing" screen after 10 seconds of Riks version.
(I think becasue I had set a screensaver for "when playing" - this isnt needed if you override the default screen)
exactly, just set none for "when playing"

And nice design Rikk.

Rikk
2010-02-27, 09:19
I installed the latest version of Custom Clock and CC Helper yesterday. At first it worked fine with the default settings. Once I tried to customize a clock using CC Helper, everything stopped working. If I have Custom Clock set as my screensaver, it never kicks in. The radio can play for hours showing whatever screen I left it showing. If I set the screensaver to one of the SBR standards, behavior is normal.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling both the applet and the plug-in with no effect.

Any ideas where I should go from here to troubleshoot?

Thanks.

I'm not sure if this can be an issue, but, what version of SBServer and radio firmware do you have? May be you could consider to update to a nightly build.

Otherwise: go step by step, building a style with a piece at a time and then test it. When it stops working (tipically the screen saver doesn't start) tell it to Erland.

ModelCitizen
2010-02-27, 10:02
This is a great plugin. I reckon this and Triode's iPlayer are pretty crucial for Squeezeplay based devices.

Can't wait to see some more of these screensavers on the Touch.

MC

Rikk
2010-02-27, 10:11
Erl, I guess I found a bug. I was build a new style in wich I defined a rotating image pointing to http://static.die.net/earth/mercator-cloudless/480.jpg
then I put two timetext, one for hour and one for month.
Then I decided to see how it could have been putting the earth on background instead of a rotating image, so I put the same link to the background. After updating, I wanted to go to the rotating image to delete it, but since then, I can't load the style anymore. I can load any style but that one, it simply stays there for ever, waiting to load, until the server gives a timeout.
No errors, no other problems, the applet works, the plug in works, you can build other styles, but can't load that one.

How do I remove it manually please?

Rikk
2010-02-27, 10:52
ok, found!
C:\ProgramData\Squeezebox\prefs\plugin

:)

I found what happened, but don't know how.
CC Helper when wrote the style "forgot" to repeat the style name at the end of the block that describes the style itself

abysmillard
2010-02-27, 12:24
I'm not sure if this can be an issue, but, what version of SBServer and radio firmware do you have? May be you could consider to update to a nightly build.

Otherwise: go step by step, building a style with a piece at a time and then test it. When it stops working (tipically the screen saver doesn't start) tell it to Erland.

I'm running SBS 7.4.2 and firmware 7.4.2 r8423.

I can't go step by step. No matter what I do, even trying to use only the defaults, Custom Clock doesn't activate. All the menu selections appear as normal. When I highlight, say, Custom Clock #1 as my "while playing" screensaver and push the play button (which should give me a preview) I just get the little jiggle in the screen that indicates a non-working selection. If I go ahead and set Custom Clock #1 to be my screensaver it doesn't kick in.

I am not trying to customize at this point. I am just trying to get the default clocks to work.

Thanks.

ps. I'm not clear whether Erland will respond to postings here or whether I should write him directly. I always figure it's a good thing if I can avoid filling up someone's mailbox with my concerns.

tcutting
2010-02-27, 19:44
Are you using a Radio?
Have you installed the most current version of Custom Clock? Go to the Applet Installer, and navigate to Custom Clock and make sure you have the latest version.
Also, you need to both set the Custom Clock to use for a particular state (When Stopped; When Playing), and also select the Custom Clock to use for that selection. If you select Custom Clock #1 for a particular player state, you also have to have a screensaver defined for Custom Clock #1.

abysmillard
2010-02-27, 20:41
Are you using a Radio?

Yes

Have you installed the most current version of Custom Clock?

Yes. I've actually uninstalled and reinstalled it.

Also, you need to both set the Custom Clock to use for a particular state (When Stopped; When Playing), and also select the Custom Clock to use for that selection. If you select Custom Clock #1 for a particular player state, you also have to have a screensaver defined for Custom Clock #1.

I just double checked and, yes, I've done that.

I set up Custom Clock when I upgraded to the new version and it worked fine until I tried to use CC Helper to make a customized screensaver. After that everything stopped and no amount of redoing the settings, deleting and reinstalling Custom Clock, deleting and reinstalling CC Helper has enabled me to get it going again. I've restarted the radio, restarted the server, and restarted the host Mac, all to no avail.

I guess what's left is to do a factory reset of the radio and see if I can start completely from scratch. Don't want to do that unless it's absolutely necessary, as it is such a PITA to redo all the local settings.

Thanks.

erland
2010-02-27, 22:49
I guess what's left is to do a factory reset of the radio and see if I can start completely from scratch. Don't want to do that unless it's absolutely necessary, as it is such a PITA to redo all the local settings.

It's probably some bug when using a special combination of settings, can you try to:
1. Uninstall Custom Clock Helper
2. On the Radio select another Custom Clock style (you should only see the default styles after uninstalling Custom Clock Helper)
3. If that works, in Squeezebox Server you have a prefs directory, delete the plugin/customclockhelper.prefs file
4. Reinstall Custom Clock Helper

I'll add a way to reset the settings in the next version.

abysmillard
2010-02-28, 10:59
Thank you, Erland!

I uninstalled Custom Clock Helper and restarted the server.
No luck
I rebooted the radio.
No luck
I deleted the prefs file and restarted the server.
No luck
I rebooted the radio.
No luck
I uninstalled and then reinstalled Custom Clock (two radio reboots).
No luck.

Sounds like it might be reset time. Whaddya think?

Thanks again.

erland
2010-02-28, 13:59
Sounds like it might be reset time. Whaddya think?

If you haven't done so already, make sure you change the Custom Clock style in the settings on the Radio, just removing Custom Clock Helper plugin won't change anything unless you also change to another style on the Radio.

If that doesn't work, you can either do a factory reset or login to the Radio with ssh and remove the file:
/etc/squeezeplay/userpath/settings/CustomClock.lua

abysmillard
2010-02-28, 16:35
If that doesn't work, you can either do a factory reset or login to the Radio with ssh and remove the file:
/etc/squeezeplay/userpath/settings/CustomClock.lua

I'm really uncomfortable with using SSH on the Mac Terminal so I went ahead and did the factory reset. Custom Clock is working again! Now to try again to make the screen I want. Hopefully I won't repeat whatever it was that I did last time.

Thank you!

Can anybody suggest a SSH client for Mac?

abysmillard
2010-02-28, 18:24
I have been able to construct a couple of screens and they actually work! Thanks for the help.

Just got one other question: where in the world do you get the SBR icons? If I import one of the posted styles, the icon locations given appear to be for pages belonging to the originator of the style. Does that mean that every time I use a tcutting style I'm paying a visit to tcutting's homepage?

Thanks

erland
2010-02-28, 21:33
Just got one other question: where in the world do you get the SBR icons? If I import one of the posted styles, the icon locations given appear to be for pages belonging to the originator of the style. Does that mean that every time I use a tcutting style I'm paying a visit to tcutting's homepage?

They are downloaded from a public web page, some styles download images attachments in this other threads, some from the contributor homepage and some from other places.

For standard Radio icons, you can use the svn repository:
Common images Radio/Controller: http://svn.slimdevices.com/repos/jive/7.5/trunk/squeezeplay/src/squeezeplay/share/applets/QVGAbaseSkin/images/
Radio images: http://svn.slimdevices.com/repos/jive/7.5/trunk/squeezeplay/src/squeezeplay/share/applets/QVGAlandscapeSkin/images/
Controller images: http://svn.slimdevices.com/repos/jive/7.5/trunk/squeezeplay/src/squeezeplay/share/applets/QVGAportraitSkin/images/
Touch images: http://svn.slimdevices.com/repos/jive/7.5/trunk/squeezeplay/src/squeezeplay/share/applets/WQVGAsmallSkin/images/

I'll probably implement a bit better caching in a future version and also a way to use the standard images already available locally on the Radio.

tcutting
2010-02-28, 23:32
What would be great would be a way to "compile" a screensaver and have it completely downloaded to the player. What I mean by that is to have a way to "save" the screensaver to the Radio, for example, where all the graphic elements would get saved to the Radio with all the file pointers automatically setup correctly.

erland
2010-03-01, 00:12
What would be great would be a way to "compile" a screensaver and have it completely downloaded to the player. What I mean by that is to have a way to "save" the screensaver to the Radio, for example, where all the graphic elements would get saved to the Radio with all the file pointers automatically setup correctly.

I can see two ways to do this:
1. Let it work as it does today but make it possible to select to store the downloaded images permanently on the Radio so they don't need to be downloaded next time unless you do a firmware upgrade.
2. Make it possible to package a style as a zip file that contains both the setting and all the images.

I wonder which is best ?

Alternative 1 is definitely easier to implement but it requires the style provider to post the images somewhere where everyone can reach them.

Rikk
2010-03-01, 01:00
to me they are both good enough, may be the zip package gives more portability in case of total reset.

The only risk I see in both is the storage. How many free ram there is in Radio? How do I clean rests of test styles or styles I don't want anymore?

copperstate
2010-03-01, 05:07
I'm really uncomfortable with using SSH on the Mac Terminal so I went ahead and did the factory reset. Custom Clock is working again! Now to try again to make the screen I want. Hopefully I won't repeat whatever it was that I did last time.

Thank you!

Can anybody suggest a SSH client for Mac?

I can recommend Cyberduck for browsing etc and TextWrangler for editing text files. Sadly both are not working in conjunction with the radio. :(

Btw, using SSH is not very hard to learn (and one is not able to really break anything on the radio - so it would provide an ideal playing ground, too)

tcutting
2010-03-02, 23:50

Erland-
I spent some time this evening playing with Custom Clock on Squeezeplay 7.5 on Windows XP. It seems to crash with only certain custom clock screens - I was able to select several of your "standard" screens, and they seemed to work fine. I tried your "cassette" screen, and it didn't come up at all (put as config #1, which is selected as the "when off" screensaver, and used the squeezeplay menu to "turn off" the Squeezeplay.) When I try any of the screens I use on my Radio which I posted on this thread, Squeezeplay crashes. I was able to find the "log" file created by Squeezeplay on windows and am enclosing.

Thanks-

Tom

erland
2010-03-03, 00:06
Erland-
I spent some time this evening playing with Custom Clock on Squeezeplay 7.5 on Windows XP. It seems to crash with only certain custom clock screens - I was able to select several of your "standard" screens, and they seemed to work fine. I tried your "cassette" screen, and it didn't come up at all (put as config #1, which is selected as the "when off" screensaver, and used the squeezeplay menu to "turn off" the Squeezeplay.) When I try any of the screens I use on my Radio which I posted on this thread, Squeezeplay crashes. I was able to find the "log" file created by Squeezeplay on windows and am enclosing.

Thanks, I think the problem is related to styles that have custom fonts.

It probably has to do with Windows using directory separator "\" while Linux and SqueezeOS uses "/".

ModelCitizen
2010-03-06, 15:09
I just can't get Now Playing to work correctly.

I have Custom Clock Settings/Replace Now Playing set to PlayWithCoverAndClock
and
Screensavers/When Playing set to None

When I play some music I see PlayWithCoverAndClock but after and the default Logitech NowPlaying screen kicks in.

Not sure if it has any relevance but I have a self-made low light custom clock set for the Off state and have played around with the Now Playing settings a fair bit to no avail.

BTW. I'd quite like to have a Now Playing screensaver that uses the default Logitech Now Playing large graphic with only the time (large text) and alarm (smaller text with bell icon) superimposed over the top. Sort of clean and simple but with time viewable across the room and alarm viewable from the bed.

I've played around adapting the JSON stuff but screw it up every time. Does a screensaver anything like the one I describe exist?

Thanks.

MC

tcutting
2010-03-06, 18:19
MC-
I have my "now playing" screensaver (Playwithcoverandclock) set for BOTH "when playing" and also set for the "now playing" screensaver.
The setup you are asking about for a now playing screensaver should be pretty easy - to put a large cover graphic, and place the time text and alarm icons on top. Have you tried using the custom clock helper to build something like that?

tcutting
2010-03-06, 22:58
I just can't get Now Playing to work correctly.

I have Custom Clock Settings/Replace Now Playing set to PlayWithCoverAndClock
and
Screensavers/When Playing set to None

When I play some music I see PlayWithCoverAndClock but after and the default Logitech NowPlaying screen kicks in.

Not sure if it has any relevance but I have a self-made low light custom clock set for the Off state and have played around with the Now Playing settings a fair bit to no avail.

BTW. I'd quite like to have a Now Playing screensaver that uses the default Logitech Now Playing large graphic with only the time (large text) and alarm (smaller text with bell icon) superimposed over the top. Sort of clean and simple but with time viewable across the room and alarm viewable from the bed.

I've played around adapting the JSON stuff but screw it up every time. Does a screensaver anything like the one I describe exist?

Thanks.

MC

Hey MC, is this at all what you were looking for? It's got a 24 hour clock, has the coverart of the now playing album in the back, and has small alarm icon and alarm time. It's based on erlands built-in "Digital Clock (lightly shaded cover)". Do you prefer 24 hour time or 12 hour w/ AM/PM?

Also, I think for good "now playing" screen, you have to setup the screen you want as both the "when playing" screensaver and as substitute for "now playing".

ModelCitizen
2010-03-07, 02:33
Ah...

I orginally came back here to ask:

Where is the radio screenshot saved? I have made a screenshot by holding down rewind and pause for a few seconds but could not read where the screenshot was saved. I've used WinSCP to traverse the radio directories but cannot find it. I thought usr/bin seemed likely but it does not appear to be there.

tcutting. Thanks for this. It is not exactly what I had in mind though.
As the radio small screen begins to look cluttered very quickly my basic philosophy is to keep things as simple as possible. Although the way that the Logitech Now Playing screensaver shows artwork is not perfect (top and bottom chopped off) it looks clean.

My ideal would be to take the existing Logitech NP screensaver. Replace all in the bottom black shade bar with solely an alarm icon and alarm time (24 hr), and then add a 24 hr centred clock readout (i.e. 23:24) superimposed over the album art ala the digital clock, preferably in dark grey, possibly transparent.

I might just about be able to do this if I was able to use the original Logitech screensaver as a starting point, but I can't work out how to do that.

One problem I can foresee is that the clock will fail to be visible on some shades of of artwork.

Ooh, and thanks for the Now Playing help. I have set it as you suggested and it works properly now.

MC

tcutting
2010-03-07, 15:11
Ah...

I orginally came back here to ask:

Where is the radio screenshot saved? I have made a screenshot by holding down rewind and pause for a few seconds but could not read where the screenshot was saved. I've used WinSCP to traverse the radio directories but cannot find it. I thought usr/bin seemed likely but it does not appear to be there.

tcutting. Thanks for this. It is not exactly what I had in mind though.
As the radio small screen begins to look cluttered very quickly my basic philosophy is to keep things as simple as possible. Although the way that the Logitech Now Playing screensaver shows artwork is not perfect (top and bottom chopped off) it looks clean.

My ideal would be to take the existing Logitech NP screensaver. Replace all in the bottom black shade bar with solely an alarm icon and alarm time (24 hr), and then add a 24 hr centred clock readout (i.e. 23:24) superimposed over the album art ala the digital clock, preferably in dark grey, possibly transparent.

I might just about be able to do this if I was able to use the original Logitech screensaver as a starting point, but I can't work out how to do that.

One problem I can foresee is that the clock will fail to be visible on some shades of of artwork.

Ooh, and thanks for the Now Playing help. I have set it as you suggested and it works properly now.

MC

Look for screenshots in /etc/squeezeplay/userpath

saegis
2010-03-14, 06:31
Here is an updated screensaver for use as "Now Playing". It's based on one posted previously, but utilizes several of the new features Erland added, including elapsed slider, and in general is a more organized layout. I also am using more standard icons instead of ones I created.

Tom

The Screensaver "PlayWithCoverAndClock1" from post #128 in this forum ist just great!

Is there a way to change the time format to 24h??
Would be great as this is the standard display here in Europe.

Thanks for the effort!

tcutting
2010-03-14, 12:37
The Screensaver "PlayWithCoverAndClock1" from post #128 in this forum ist just great!

Is there a way to change the time format to 24h??
Would be great as this is the standard display here in Europe.

Thanks for the effort!

All you need to do is change the "text" on the timetext items to "%H:%M".

mbonsack
2010-03-18, 15:23
1. Install the Custom Clock Helper plugin in Squeezebox Server.
2. Open up the txt file attatched to my earlier post (the one with the first cassette theme), copy all text
3. Open upp SBS web interface and goto Settings/Plugins/Custom Clock Helper and in the style droplist select "Style: Import..."
4. Paste the copied text from point 2 to the "Paste JSON text from exported file" field and save
5. On the Radio, make sure to install the Custom Clock applet and then goto "Settings/Screen/Screensavers/Custom Clock Settings/Config #1" and select the new style "Cassette" in the drop list.
6. Select "Custom Clock #1" as the screen saver on the Radio.

> 4. Paste the copied text from point 2 to the "Paste JSON text from exported file" field and save

By "save" do you mean "Apply"? If I do this, the browser hangs on "Waiting for <IP addr of server>" infinitely. If I navigate away from the page, the new style is not in the list. Is there anything I'm missing?

[EDIT] When copying these text files from a browser (in my case, FF), there is no trailing newline -- the txt files comes down as one big line. The trailing newline is needed for the browser import field to be satisfied...

And, yes, "Apply" is the button to hit.

Thanks, -mark

saegis
2010-03-20, 07:48
All you need to do is change the "text" on the timetext items to "%H:%M".

Thank you very much, that worked, I even got rid of the am/pm indication.

Is there a way to get the date text in German as well?

erland
2010-03-20, 08:02
Is there a way to get the date text in German as well?

It will be possible in next version.

mr-b
2010-04-09, 03:25
Hi

Is it possible to install Custom Clock on SqueezePlay?

Whenever I try to install it I just get "Downloading Applets" with a spinning circle. After a while if I click the page it goes back to the install applet screen again. I try to install again and it shows "Downloading" again for a second and then "Restart application to make use of new applets". I don't actually know how to restart SP ((the Turn Off option is pointing to a different player), so I just close the window and restart it. No CC screensavers are shown.

What am I doing wrong?

erland
2010-04-09, 03:35
Hi

Is it possible to install Custom Clock on SqueezePlay?

Whenever I try to install it I just get "Downloading Applets" with a spinning circle. After a while if I click the page it goes back to the install applet screen again. I try to install again and it shows "Downloading" again for a second and then "Restart application to make use of new applets". I don't actually know how to restart SP ((the Turn Off option is pointing to a different player), so I just close the window and restart it. No CC screensavers are shown.

What am I doing wrong?

Sounds like you do it the correct way, does it work to install other applets ?

mr-b
2010-04-09, 03:40
I just tried Daylight Clock but then realised that was yours also! ;-)
Install fails similarly with Weather Forecast so it looks like a SqueezePlay issue.

erland
2010-04-09, 03:49
I just tried Daylight Clock but then realised that was yours also! ;-)
Install fails similarly with Weather Forecast so it looks like a SqueezePlay issue.

Could you post in the "Beta" section and ask if anyone else has seen problems installing applets in SqueezePlay through Applet Installer menu ?

mr-b
2010-04-09, 04:41
I just posted in the Devs forum as I'd posted there previously about whether SP would ever be released and the reply was basically no, it was really a dev tool.

erland
2010-04-13, 00:31
Erland-
I spent some time this evening playing with Custom Clock on Squeezeplay 7.5 on Windows XP. It seems to crash with only certain custom clock screens - I was able to select several of your "standard" screens, and they seemed to work fine.

I was able to find the "log" file created by Squeezeplay on windows and am enclosing.

Where did you find the log file ?

erland
2010-04-13, 01:48
Where did you find the log file ?

Nevermind, I found it myself.

tcutting
2010-04-13, 21:57
erland-
I just got a battery installed in my Radio. My custom clock screensaver "OffClockSaver" was setup to display battery icons. It looks like the "when charging" icon is supposed to be animated, but instead I see all of the images as one large image. I grabbed the icon from on of the built-in LUA directories. Any idea how I can get it to animate? The image file I'm pointing to is at:
http://home.roadrunner.com/~tcutting/images/icon_battery_charging.png

Thanks!

Tom

erland
2010-04-13, 22:14
erland-
I just got a battery installed in my Radio. My custom clock screensaver "OffClockSaver" was setup to display battery icons. It looks like the "when charging" icon is supposed to be animated, but instead I see all of the images as one large image. I grabbed the icon from on of the built-in LUA directories. Any idea how I can get it to animate? The image file I'm pointing to is at:
http://home.roadrunner.com/~tcutting/images/icon_battery_charging.png

Oh, I missed that, it requires changes to the applet to work.

jstraw
2010-04-14, 13:30
Reading the Wiki page for this app, I'm stuck at "3. Modify any style parameters and click save."

Is there documentation anywhere for this? The fields for these parameters hold no meaning for me.

Surely there must be some sort of markup that must be done to position cover art, meters, clocks, etc.

I'm lost.

jstraw
2010-04-14, 14:04
Quote:

Ok, so I've installed the custom clock helper app and when I try and configure a new custom clock, I see form fields that I have no familiarity with.

The Wiki page says "3. Modify any style parameters and click save"

I'm stuck right there. This needs elaboration. Is there more documentation elsewhere?
I'm afraid not, but here is a short description.

The main parameters in the upper part:
- name: The unique name of the style
- models: The Squeezebox model the style is for, I'd recommend only checking one
- background(optional): The background image to use, typically an url to a png image
- backgrounddynamic: Indicates if background should be re-read at regular intervals
- backgroundtype(optional): Background color to use, typically only used unless no "background" has been specified
- clockposx(optional): Not used anymore, leave empty
- clockposy(optional): Not used anymore, leave empty

In the lower part you define all text or image items that should be displayed, you can look at one of the predefined styles if you like a sample.

When adding a new item on the lower part, you might need to:
1. Select "New item..."
2. Click Apply
3. Specify the "itemtype" parameter
4. Click Apply

After 4, the rest of the item parameters will be adjusted to those applicable to the itemtype you have selected.

Many items have parameters like:
- posx: X coordinate of item
- poxy: Y coordinate of item
- text: Text to display in text item, might also be a time format (for timetext items) or a title format (for track*text items)
- url: The url to the png image to use in image items
- color(optional): The text color to use for text items
- order(optional): Drawing order, higher number will be drawn on top of lower number, often you can leve this blank

Hopefully this will get you started. You can look at the predefined styles if you want some samples and there are also a number of more advanced styles which can be imported on this wiki page:
http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.ph...m_Clock_styles

You import by selecting "Style:Import..." and pasting the text from the text files linked from the above wiki page.

If you have made something and don't get it to work, you can just click the "Export" button to export the style to a text file and then post it in the forum so someone can help you.

It's a good idea to post this in the "3rd party plugin" section of the forum so other users who have made Custom Clock styles for the Radio will see your questions too.

Is there a way to incorporate a set of digits built into a png file for use in a clock display?

erland
2010-04-14, 14:32
Is there a way to incorporate a set of digits built into a png file for use in a clock display?

Not at the moment, but I can probably add support for that in a future version.
You can specify an url to a custom font file already today.

usch
2010-04-14, 17:01
Reading the Wiki page for this app, I'm stuck at "3. Modify any style parameters and click save."

Is there documentation anywhere for this? The fields for these parameters hold no meaning for me.

I simply installed the "Cassetta" style and played around with it. If you change something in the settings and then watch how that changes the display, most of the parameters suddenly start making sense. :)

jstraw
2010-04-14, 18:52
Not at the moment, but I can probably add support for that in a future version.
You can specify an url to a custom font file already today.

I'll probably get more excited about this when I can can use graphic files for clock digits because I can do a flip clock then. Of course, it will have to support 69 images, not just 10 because 1-9 (for hours) and 01-59 (for hours 10-12 and all the minutes) have to be represented as separate images. Hopefully and AM and PM png can be floated right atop each hour image. Extrapolate what would be needed if months, days and dates are to be in a flip format.

erland
2010-04-14, 19:04
I'll probably get more excited about this when I can can use graphic files for clock digits because I can do a flip clock then. Of course, it will have to support 69 images, not just 10 because 1-9 (for hours) and 01-59 (for hours 10-12 and all the minutes) have to be represented as separate images. Hopefully and AM and PM png can be floated right atop each hour image. Extrapolate what would be needed if months, days and dates are to be in a flip format.

Just to make sure, we are only talking about still images ?
I think I should be able to enhance it to support that, but if we are also talking about some kind of animation I'm not sure it fits this applet.

jstraw
2010-04-14, 19:06
Just to make sure, we are only talking about still images ?
I think I should be able to enhance it to support that, but if we are also talking about some kind of animation I'm not sure it fits this applet.

Yes, animating the flip action seems like a lot of complication. I'd make the digit plates look like they had the horizontal split in the middle, just for show.

jstraw
2010-04-14, 19:18
I grew up with these clocks. I was 12 in '72. I always ended up taking them apart...never to be put back together. I must have had three or four of them. My favorite was a Sony with fluorescent digits, illuminated by a black light. That would be a challenge to re-create. How cool would "Logitech" look, rendered in the vintage Sony typeface?

erland
2010-04-14, 21:38
A new version of Custom Clock/Custom Clock Helper is now available, the news are:
- Added support for visualizers (analogvumeter, digitalvumeter), there is a sample "Analog VU Meter" style for the Touch bundled which use the standard visualizer image but make it possible to configure exactly which text elements you like to display.
- Added support for time based icon images through the new "timeicon" item type (jstraw, this is what you want to use for your flip clock experiment)
- Added support for animated icons through new framerate/framewidth attributes on all icon item types (tcutting this is the solution to your charging icon)

NOTE!
Visualizers will probably not work on the Radio and Controller due to the slower CPU, I've only tried them on the Touch yet.

The spectrum visualizer was a bit more complex so that will be included in a future version.

New attributes on all icon item types
A little information of the new attributes on icon item types:
- framerate: Specifies the number of animation steps per second
- framewidth: Specifies the width of each frame in the image provided by the url attributes.

A sample icon which support animations are this one:
http://svn.slimdevices.com/repos/jive/7.5/trunk/squeezeplay/src/squeezeplay/share/applets/QVGAbaseSkin/images/Icons/icon_battery_charging.png
And it should be configured with "framerate=1" and "framewidth=24"

New timeicon item type
The new "timeicon" item type handles images in the same way as the above animation support, but it doesn't animate the image instead it selects which image to use based on the the number in the "text" attribute. Some information on the attributes:

"text": Should contain one of:
-- "%S": Seconds, require a image with 60 frames (00-59)
-- "%I": 12 hour clock, require a image with at least 13 frames (00-12), the first frame will never be used
-- "%H": 24 hour clock, require an image with at least 24 frames (00-23)
-- "%M": Minutes, require an image with 60 frames (00-59)
-- "%d": Day of month, require an image with 32 frames (00-31), the first frame will never be used
-- "%w": Weekday, require an image with 7 frames (Sun-Sat)
-- "%m": Month, require an image with 13 frames (00-12), the first frame will never be used
-- "%y": 2 digit year, require an image with 100 frames (00-99)
You can of course create a generic image with 00-99 frames and it will support all the above mentioned values in the "text" attribute. Possibly, you might want to have two images, one where 0-9 is shown as 00-09 and one where its shown as 0-9

"url": The actual digit image (may have transparent background)

"width": The width of the frames in the "url" image

"url.background" (optional): If specified, this image will be pasted behind the digits. This way you can have a generic digit image with transparent background and use the "url.background" to make several styles with different background behind the digits. The "url.background" image won't be "animated" the whole image will be pasted as normal images.

Visualizer item types
For the "analogvumeter" have a look at the bundled style for the touch, it basically just sets the "url" attribute to this image:
http://svn.slimdevices.com/repos/jive/7.5/trunk/squeezeplay/src/squeezeplay/share/applets/WQVGAsmallSkin/images/UNOFFICIAL/VUMeter/vu_analog_25seq_b.png

Finally, the "digitalvumeter" item times takes a number of url attributes, if you like to try this out set them to the following:
- url:
- url.tickon: http://svn.slimdevices.com/repos/jive/7.5/trunk/squeezeplay/src/squeezeplay/share/applets/WQVGAsmallSkin/images/UNOFFICIAL/VUMeter/VU_tick_on.png
- url.tickoff: http://svn.slimdevices.com/repos/jive/7.5/trunk/squeezeplay/src/squeezeplay/share/applets/WQVGAsmallSkin/images/UNOFFICIAL/VUMeter/VU_tick_off.png
- url.tickcap: http://svn.slimdevices.com/repos/jive/7.5/trunk/squeezeplay/src/squeezeplay/share/applets/WQVGAsmallSkin/images/UNOFFICIAL/VUMeter/VU_tick_bounce.png

I think the digitalvumeter will need some more polishing before it's ready to use, I just included it since the code existed in the Logitech firmware. I don't think the digitalvumeter style is ever used in the firmware.

jstraw
2010-04-15, 21:12
A new version of Custom Clock/Custom Clock Helper is now available, the news are:
- Added support for visualizers (analogvumeter, digitalvumeter), there is a sample "Analog VU Meter" style for the Touch bundled which use the standard visualizer image but make it possible to configure exactly which text elements you like to display.
- Added support for time based icon images through the new "timeicon" item type (jstraw, this is what you want to use for your flip clock experiment)
- Added support for animated icons through new framerate/framewidth attributes on all icon item types (tcutting this is the solution to your charging icon)

NOTE!
Visualizers will probably not work on the Radio and Controller due to the slower CPU, I've only tried them on the Touch yet.

The spectrum visualizer was a bit more complex so that will be included in a future version.

New attributes on all icon item types
A little information of the new attributes on icon item types:
- framerate: Specifies the number of animation steps per second
- framewidth: Specifies the width of each frame in the image provided by the url attributes.

http://svn.slimdevices.com/repos/jive/7.5/trunk/squeezeplay/src/squeezeplay/share/applets/QVGAbaseSkin/images/Icons/icon_battery_charging.png

New timeicon item type
The new "timeicon" item type handles images in the same way as the above animation support, but it doesn't animate the image instead it selects which image to use based on the the number in the "text" attribute. Some information on the attributes:

"text": Should contain one of:
-- "%S": Seconds, require a image with 60 frames (00-59)
-- "%I": 12 hour clock, require a image with at least 13 frames (00-12), the first frame will never be used
-- "%H": 24 hour clock, require an image with at least 24 frames (00-23)
-- "%M": Minutes, require an image with 60 frames (00-59)
-- "%d": Day of month, require an image with 32 frames (00-31), the first frame will never be used
-- "%w": Weekday, require an image with 7 frames (Sun-Sat)
-- "%m": Month, require an image with 13 frames (00-12), the first frame will never be used
-- "%y": 2 digit year, require an image with 100 frames (00-99)
You can of course create a generic image with 00-99 frames and it will support all the above mentioned values in the "text" attribute. Possibly, you might want to have two images, one where 0-9 is shown as 00-09 and one where its shown as 0-9

"url": The actual digit image (may have transparent background)

"width": The width of the frames in the "url" image

"url.background" (optional): If specified, this image will be pasted behind the digits. This way you can have a generic digit image with transparent background and use the "url.background" to make several styles with different background behind the digits. The "url.background" image won't be "animated" the whole image will be pasted as normal images.

Visualizer item types
For the "analogvumeter" have a look at the bundled style for the touch, it basically just sets the "url" attribute to this image:
http://svn.slimdevices.com/repos/jive/7.5/trunk/squeezeplay/src/squeezeplay/share/applets/WQVGAsmallSkin/images/UNOFFICIAL/VUMeter/vu_analog_25seq_b.png

Finally, the "digitalvumeter" item times takes a number of url attributes, if you like to try this out set them to the following:
- url:
- url.tickon: http://svn.slimdevices.com/repos/jive/7.5/trunk/squeezeplay/src/squeezeplay/share/applets/WQVGAsmallSkin/images/UNOFFICIAL/VUMeter/VU_tick_on.png
- url.tickoff: http://svn.slimdevices.com/repos/jive/7.5/trunk/squeezeplay/src/squeezeplay/share/applets/WQVGAsmallSkin/images/UNOFFICIAL/VUMeter/VU_tick_off.png
- url.tickcap: http://svn.slimdevices.com/repos/jive/7.5/trunk/squeezeplay/src/squeezeplay/share/applets/WQVGAsmallSkin/images/UNOFFICIAL/VUMeter/VU_tick_bounce.png

I think the digitalvumeter will need some more polishing before it's ready to use, I just included it since the code existed in the Logitech firmware. I don't think the digitalvumeter style is ever used in the firmware.

Wow. That's a lot to wrap my head around. Be patient with me.

erland
2010-04-15, 21:33
Wow. That's a lot to wrap my head around. Be patient with me.

If you want some help with the configuration, you can just post the image files and me or someone else can make a sample configuration which you can start adjusting. A image file containing 100 numbers (00-99) or 60 numbers (00-59) is probably a good start for creating a sample configuration.

tcutting
2010-04-15, 22:06

erland-
Thanks again - my battery indicator now animates correctly!
One more suggestion - add ability to put in "Sleep" icon. I don't actually find myself using the sleep feature, but would like to add the ability to display the icon.

Thanks!

Tom

usch
2010-04-16, 18:24
Unfortunately it has stopped working in Desktop SqueezePlay (Win XP) with the last update. I can no longer go to Screensavers > Custom Clock Settings, and the screensaver itself says "Not configured".

1271460042.781 WARN squeezeplay.ui.draw - jiveL_dispatch_event:774 error in event function:
...zePlay\lua\applets/CustomClock/CustomClockApplet.lua:416: attempt to concatenate local 'luadir' (a nil value)
stack traceback:
...zePlay\lua\applets/CustomClock/CustomClockApplet.lua:416: in function '?'
...Play\lua\applets/ScreenSavers/ScreenSaversApplet.lua:800: in function 'callback'
...io\Squeezebox\SqueezePlay\lua\jive\ui\SimpleMen u.lua:189: in function 'itemListener'

erland
2010-04-16, 20:51
Unfortunately it has stopped working in Desktop SqueezePlay (Win XP) with the last update. I can no longer go to Screensavers > Custom Clock Settings, and the screensaver itself says "Not configured".

Yes I know, sorry for that.

Desktop SqueezePlay on Windows uses a separate directory structure for some reason, so it's hard to support it at the moment. I might possibly try to fix it in the future but I don't want to promise anything. Patches are very welcome if you or someone else like to help.

I know it works in Desktop SqueezePlay on Linux since it use the same directory structure as the real devices. It will probably also work on Windows if you compile your own version from svn, but I'm not sure how complex that is.

mr-b
2010-04-17, 01:24
That's rather unfortunate. Is there any chance it could be bumped up the priority list? I'd have thought that a fair number of ppl use SP as a testing ground for applets, and so anything which doesn't work may tend to drop off the radar.
It's bad enough with applet installation hanging if SP isn't run with admin privs ... :(

Triode
2010-04-17, 01:39
I know it works in Desktop SqueezePlay on Linux since it use the same directory structure as the real devices. It will probably also work on Windows if you compile your own version from svn, but I'm not sure how complex that is.

I believe its because of where the installer puts squeezeplay which is in the location of a normal application (C:\Program Files or equivalent). This means we should not install additional files to this location when it is run as a user. It should definately be fixable, just got missed.

erland
2010-04-17, 01:55
I believe its because of where the installer puts squeezeplay which is in the location of a normal application (C:\Program Files or equivalent). This means we should not install additional files to this location when it is run as a user. It should definately be fixable, just got missed.

The main problem is that it has a different structure under the executable, the Linux version and the real device has a structure like:
share/jive/applets
share/jive/jive
share/jive/fonts

But the Windows installation looks different, it has a structure like:
lua/applets
lua/jive
fonts

Anyway, the structure isn't the main problem, the main problem is that I haven't found any way to check which platform I run on. I tried using the System.getArch() method but it just returns "unknown" on Windows so it doesn't feel reliable.

I need to have a way to detect the path to the following directories:
- fonts (To check if a font file exists and load it)
- The directory where my applets is installed (To read and store cached files)
- The parent directory to the one where my applet is installed (To store files that should survive a applet upgrade) (This is a bit less important since it's only used by Patch Installer which won't work on Windows anyway since it uses Linux patch command)

usch
2010-04-17, 06:31
That's a different problem. I have worked around that by giving users "create directory" rights for the lua/applets directory. This way any user can install applets and automatically becomes the applet owner with full access, while access to the core applets is still restricted. That's still not perfect on multi-user systems, but if there is just a single restricted user besides the admin it is workable for the time being.

Anyway, the structure isn't the main problem, the main problem is that I haven't found any way to check which platform I run on. I tried using the System.getArch() method but it just returns "unknown" on Windows so it doesn't feel reliable.
If that method fails you could call os.getenv("OS"). That should return something like "Windows_NT".

verypsb
2010-04-18, 02:10
How can I remove styles?

erland
2010-04-18, 02:17
How can I remove styles?

1. Goto Custom Clock Helper settings page in SBS web interface
2. Select the style you like to remove
3. Check the checkbox "Restore to online version or delete if only available locally"
4. Click Apply to save

The bundled styles will not be removed, they will just be restored to their default settings.

Jakearama
2010-04-21, 12:37
I modified (very minimally) the background of Rikk and tcutting's PlayWithCoverAndClock to make the clock stand out more.

Thought I would post it for anyone who would like the background of the clock just in black.

Jakearama. :)

squishy
2010-04-27, 05:29
Hi Erland,

Since getting the radio (and recently a touch) I've been meaning to create a simple LCD clock style. There's something just not right about a bedside clock in a standard font, don't ask me why. And mainly I wanted the time as big as possible so I can see it easily in the night.

Not sure if its to everyone's taste, but happy to share the files. I have no clue how to take a screen-dump (on radio or touch), so I've just uploaded the json files and associated images etc. Perhaps you could try them, and if they're useful add to your styles page. I'll message you the link to the json files.

I'm probably not the first to ask this, but would it be worth you having a central place for hosting the backgrounds, images etc. Not everyone has a handy domain to uploaded their files. I've no idea how big the pool of custom-clock styles is "out there" but would be great if there was a place to share them, no?

PS: Not sure if there's a bug somewhere. On the radio, the font color doesn't seem to be working for me (except for red, strangely). On the touch version, font colors were working fine. Any ideas ?

Thanks

mr-b
2010-04-27, 08:27
Hi

This sounds interesting as I was looking for a classic clock radio look too i.e. as large as possible LED segments style in either restful red or green. One problem I had was finding screenshots of the built-in clock to compare with various flavours of CustomClock etc.

So could you do a screen-dump of SqueezePlay running this clock style?

erland
2010-04-27, 12:57
Not sure if its to everyone's taste, but happy to share the files. I have no clue how to take a screen-dump (on radio or touch), so I've just uploaded the json files and associated images etc. Perhaps you could try them, and if they're useful add to your styles page. I'll message you the link to the json files.

I'll create a screenshot from SqueezePlay desktop later and post it together with the json files on the wiki page:
http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Custom_Clock_styles

I'm probably not the first to ask this, but would it be worth you having a central place for hosting the backgrounds, images etc. Not everyone has a handy domain to uploaded their files. I've no idea how big the pool of custom-clock styles is "out there" but would be great if there was a place to share them, no?

I plan to bundle some of the created styles with the plugin to make them a bit easier to use, when I do that I'll probably also move the images to my Google Code project. I'm happy to host any images if anyone don't have their own hosting page and don't want to post the images in the forum, in that case just send me a mail.

PS: Not sure if there's a bug somewhere. On the radio, the font color doesn't seem to be working for me (except for red, strangely). On the touch version, font colors were working fine. Any ideas ?

Strange, I'll take a look and see if I can reproduce it.

autopilot
2010-04-29, 13:42
How easy is it to set up one with the cassette tape filling the full screen?

erland
2010-04-29, 14:06
How easy is it to set up one with the cassette tape filling the full screen?

No problem if someone provides the graphics.

erland
2010-05-01, 10:28
A new version of Custom Clock is now available, this time with a number of pretty cool new features.

- Added integration with SuperDateTime plugin (new item types sdttext, sdticon, sdtsporttext)
- Added integration with Song Info plugin (new item type songinfoicon)
- Added Spectrum Visualizer (new item type spectrummeter)
- Added integration with Picture Gallery plugin
- Added support for single digit months, days, hours through (%m1, %d1, %H1, %I1, %m1 keywords in timetext items)
- Made it possible to create a visualizer/vumeter that shows a single channel
- Bundled a lot of the earlier posted styles so they are available by default.

*** Credits to contributors ***
This release wouldn't have been possible without the following contributors, give them all the credit they deserve:
- Michael (mherger): Did API adjustments in the Picture Gallery plugin to make the integration possible.
- Greg (GoCubs): Did API adjustments in SuperDateTime to make the integration possible.
- Dan (plympton): Did API adjustments in SuperDateTime, contributed code to Custom Clock and provided the SuperDateTime styles for the Touch
- jstraw: Provided the excellent VU meter graphics for VU meter styles
- Rikk: Provided the excellent graphics for the Cassetta and Notturno and SimpleGrayClock styles
- tcutting: Provided the SimpleGrayClock style configuration

Now some more explanation about the new major features and what you can do with them, I've attached some screen shots to show some concepts. Note that the screenshots are taken with Desktop SqueezePlay, due to this there are some artifacts in them that don't exists on the real devices.

SuperDateTime plugin integration
Do you want weather combined with other kind of information ?
This is what this integration makes possible, you can mix the sdt* item types with any other item times. The sdtsportstyle will be improved in the next release but it can already know be used to create a Custom Clock style that shows the latest game scores of your favorite teams supported by SuperDateTime.

Note!
The sdttext item requires a new not yet released version of SuperDateTime, so unfortunately you aren't going to accomplish something like the screen shots yet. The good news is that Greg and Dan is working on finishing the new release so it should soon be available. If you are desperate and can't wait, there is a beta version in the following thread:
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?p=541843#post541843

Picture Gallery plugin integration
Ever wanted to show your own photos and combined them with other information ? For example, showing currently playing artist or the current time/date ?
This is now possible through the new "galleryicon" item which shows random images from a favorite image list defined in Picture Gallery plugin.

Song Info plugin integration
Do you like album covers ?
Are you tired of always showing the same image when a specific album is played ?
You don't have album covers in your library but want to show them anyway ?

If this is the case you should look at the new "songinfoicon" item type which makes it possible to get random images from any image source supported by the Song Info plugin. If this sounds interesting you should really try the bundled "LastFM Artist Image with visualizer" style. It rotate artist images of the currently playing artist on the left half of the screen and show a spectrum visualizer on the right half of the screen.

It's hard to explain all these integrations in text, you really need to try them to get a feeling what's possible. Remember that for a specific integration to work you need to install the corresponding plugin in your SBS. This of course also means that these integrations won't work on the built-in server (TinySC) on the Touch.

copperstate
2010-05-01, 12:12
Cool, great work guys. :)

pippin
2010-05-01, 16:33
Erland,

I can't find CC Helper in Plugins, could it be that it's not flagged for 7.6?

erland
2010-05-01, 16:55
Erland,

I can't find CC Helper in Plugins, could it be that it's not flagged for 7.6?

It's flagged for all 7.* releases so that shouldn't be it, it shows up in my 7.6 on the development machine.

Do you have the "Show all 3rd party plugins" checkbox checked ?

Has it been previously installed ?
SBS caches the repository contents for a while so if you are waiting for it to show up as an updated plugin you might need to either wait a while or clear the Cache/FileCache directory.

pippin
2010-05-01, 17:09
HM. Two restarts (one of them including installing another unrelated plugin) and it shows up (installed) again.

Strange, but I've been seeing this with other plugins in 7.6, too: Installed plugins simply don't show up (in none of the lists) and are not running.

Plus I'm sure it wasn't running: this was how I noticed it since I could not change the screen saver on my Radio anymore.

erland
2010-05-01, 17:15
Plus I'm sure it wasn't running: this was how I noticed it since I could not change the screen saver on my Radio anymore.

Do you get any errors in the server.log ?

The Custom Clock applet should work without Custom Clock Helper, so if its menus didn't work it indicates that Custom Clock Helper was at least running a little. It checks if the CLI/JSON commands offered by Custom Clock Helper is supported by SBS, if they don't, it should just show the bundled styles.

pippin
2010-05-01, 17:30
Do you get any errors in the server.log ?

Nothing, just a lot of SugarCube mssages and the usual BBC string and useIxHahes Errors.

But now I'm seeing that old "TrackStat doesn't respond over CLI" issue again. Something doesn't work right with 7.6 and plugins, yet....

The Custom Clock applet should work without Custom Clock Helper, so if its menus didn't work it indicates that Custom Clock Helper was at least running a little. It checks if the CLI/JSON commands offered by Custom Clock Helper is supported by SBS, if they don't, it should just show the bundled styles.

OK, found the CC issue.
The problem was not with the plugin but with the Baby. I had connected it to the new server remotely and never noticed that it did not have the correct username/password set. It never asked. Playback worked fine (I believe SlimProto doesn't use it). UI LOOKED to work fine but really didn't.

This authentication handling in SP really needs fixing, I filed that bug like a year ago...

Nor for more server restarts until TS comes back...

strindberg
2010-05-02, 04:14
Erland, three things about scrolling text:

- There seeems to be some sort of display bug, where the parts of letters going under the base line don't scroll properly. It's a bit difficult to explain in writing, but if you imagine a text with som lower case "y" or "g" in it, the "tails" of these letters don't scroll with the rest of the text, but stay in place, flickering and jumping a few mm. The rest of the text moves as intended.

- The scrolling is very stuttering. I realize this must be a trade-off b/w resources and appearance, but if it would be possible to tune the scrolling a bit to make it more smooth, it would be great.

- Would it be possible to add a similar option as in the standard now playing screen, where one can specify that text that doesn't fit on the screen scrolls once and then stops?

madpatrick
2010-05-02, 04:37
Hi Erland,

I saw that the SDT is supported now in the new version.. GREAT !!
In the helper applet the SDTtext is not available and when you choose a style and want to change this, the SDTtext will dissapear.

erland
2010-05-02, 04:44
Hi Erland,

I saw that the SDT is supported now in the new version.. GREAT !!
In the helper applet the SDTtext is not available and when you choose a style and want to change this, the SDTtext will dissapear.

You will have to wait for Greg to release a new version of SuperDateTime that contains the necessary support required for the sdttext item.

madpatrick
2010-05-02, 08:42
Hello Erland,

When i select bottom with for example timetext option, the text is placed in the top. This is for all bottom options (left and right)

erland
2010-05-02, 09:35
When i select bottom with for example timetext option, the text is placed in the top. This is for all bottom options (left and right)

It aligns within the text box not within the screen, so you will have to use posy to move something to the bottom.

tcutting
2010-05-02, 11:45
Erland-
I know I ask for a lot of extras on custom clock... but-
Just tried out the songinfoicon in my "now playing" screen. I like it a lot, it's nice having various images rotate through. What I'd like would be the ability to intersperse "Album Image" with "Artist Images". I like seeing the artist images, but then I "miss" seeing the album cover.
Also, I think there should be a way to display the "sleep" status - that's something that is on the built-in Radio display.
Thanks again!
ps- can't wait for Greg to release updated SuperDateTime so I can start playing with those features!

madpatrick
2010-05-02, 13:27
Erland-
I know I ask for a lot of extras on custom clock... but-
Just tried out the songinfoicon in my "now playing" screen. I like it a lot, it's nice having various images rotate through. What I'd like would be the ability to intersperse "Album Image" with "Artist Images". I like seeing the artist images, but then I "miss" seeing the album cover.
Also, I think there should be a way to display the "sleep" status - that's something that is on the built-in Radio display.
Thanks again!
ps- can't wait for Greg to release updated SuperDateTime so I can start playing with those features!

You can use the Beta3 version. Works great....
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=77864&page=7

slackhead
2010-05-03, 06:19
Hi Erland.

I've been playing around with the Digital Vu Meter settings and managed to get a usable result after a few tweaks.
I would now like to be able to use my own images for the meter, stored on either my server or on the touch itself.

I've tried entering the paths to the images on the server in the Custom Clock Helper page in a number of different ways but can't get the touch to see them.

What format should I be using for these paths? Also what to use for the path if I store the images on the Touch?

Thanks again.

erland
2010-05-03, 13:02
Hi Erland.

I've been playing around with the Digital Vu Meter settings and managed to get a usable result after a few tweaks.
I would now like to be able to use my own images for the meter, stored on either my server or on the touch itself.

I've tried entering the paths to the images on the server in the Custom Clock Helper page in a number of different ways but can't get the touch to see them.

What format should I be using for these paths? Also what to use for the path if I store the images on the Touch?

Thanks again.
You have the following options:
Host them on a web server somewhere (for example as attachment in a post on this forum) and specify the url address that points to the image, for example:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=9359&stc=1&d=1266917578

Or

Store them on the Touch somewhere under /usr/share/jive and specify a directory relative to /usr/share/jive, for example if the file is stored in /usr/share/jive/applets/CustomClock/images/someimage.png you would enter:

applets/CustomClock/images/someimage.png
Note that the /usr/share/jive/applets/CustomClock directory is cleaned everytime you install a new version of CustomClock, so you might want to put the images somewhere else.

If you want to be famous and make it possible for other people to use your excellent styles, you need to use option 1 with the image hosted on a web server. The images will still be cached on the Touch, so you only have a dependency to the web server when the image can't be found in the cache.

slackhead
2010-05-03, 13:36
Thanks Erland - that helps a great deal.

I will try storing them directly on the Touch first and if I get results I'm happy with I will upload online somewhere (and share to the world).

Cheers.

vdeknock
2010-05-06, 00:48
Question about the screensaver switch plugin - I could not find a thread about this but any chance to add a feature where it changes not on a delay time but an actual time, ie nighttime I want screensaver 1 so it looks like an alarm clock furing the day I want the weather?

Juggler
2010-05-06, 08:19
I've now upgraded to the latest version of the applet and have installed Super Date & Time. When I select the "SDT Weather Celsius" style, I get the following display (sorry for the blurry image). I've tried playing with some of the settings, but cannot seem to get an image similar to the 4th one Erland posted.

What am I doing wrong?

tcutting
2010-05-06, 08:22
Juggler
I think your problem is you need the "beta" version of SuperDateTime to be able to have Custom Clock access the text data from SDT. There is a beta version posted earlier in the thread, but it will have to be installed manually... or you can wait until the updated SuperDateTime is posted officially.

Juggler
2010-05-06, 08:44
Ahhh... I did read that caveat in Erland's post, but thought it applied to sports icons only. I will hold off until SDT is updated.

cheers,
J

linvale
2010-05-06, 14:27
Custom clock works beautifully for me on my controller and radio. I have just managed to edit the files to get the squeezeplay touch skin to work well(full screen) on a little 7" touch screen and am very pleased with the result.

I can't for the life of me get "custom clock settings" to give me a sub menu when I am using soft squeeze - it brings up the options perfectly on the controller and radio - but not on the little screen or on the screen on my pc, trying any of the skins that are available. Am I missing something here?

I have tried 7.5 and 7.6 and tried to see here in the code this is called, but wondered if I was trying to do something that it isn't meant to do....

I'll happily share the skin when it's working - but at the moment I need to decide which screensavers to work with - and custom clock looks like the best by far as I could configure some screens to match the 7" display.

tcutting
2010-05-06, 14:34
I have been able to get some Custom Clock screens to work on Squeezeplay, but unfortunately the screens I've spent time putting together use non-standard fonts, and the Windows version (at least) of Squeezeplay has trouble with the directory paths for these fonts, and therefore crashes.
This sounds like a different problem than you're seeing, however.

usch
2010-05-07, 03:50
I can't for the life of me get "custom clock settings" to give me a sub menu when I am using soft squeeze - it brings up the options perfectly on the controller and radio - but not on the little screen or on the screen on my pc, trying any of the skins that are available. Am I missing something here?
No. Since one of the recent updates Custom Clock is no longer compatible with a windows environment, see the discussion earlier in this thread (http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?p=536385#post536385).

Unfortunately I didn't keep a backup of the previous version. I wonder if Erland could make that available again as a separate download, I think it would be a great help.

erland
2010-05-07, 09:09
Unfortunately I didn't keep a backup of the previous version. I wonder if Erland could make that available again as a separate download, I think it would be a great help.

All previous versions are available on my download page if you like to download and install them manually.

usch
2010-05-07, 10:58
All previous versions are available on my download page if you like to download and install them manually.
Great, I've reverted back to version 2.4 now. Of course the newer layouts (like VU meters) don't work, but I only wanted to play with the text items anyway, so I'm quite happy with that version.

jojopuppyfish
2010-05-07, 16:56
erlan-
Just installed this plugin and its great.
One problem: I didn't know about this thread until last night.
Before that, I was only reading the wiki notes you wrote on this topic......they are outdated.
What you wrote on the second page of this thread is up to date.
The updated notes told me I needed to go through the screensaver in order to get to custom clock settings.
But your wiki notes on install don't say that (BTW I was installing via the radio)

linvale
2010-05-07, 18:28
Thanks for the pointer, sorry for not reading the whole thread. Will download an earlier version as in intermediate fix, and have a look at what I can do to fix the windows directory story (or just bite the bullet and install a Linux version... :-))

MeSue
2010-05-10, 08:08
Hi all,

I made a pretty simple custom Now Playing Screensaver which makes it easy to read the time at a glance, but also shows track info--great for in the bathroom and poolside, the 2 places where I use my radio most.

It shows artist, album, song title, trackstat rating, and a honking big clock. The background is the shaded album cover. Also shows play status and battery status (with images borrowed from tcutting--thank you!). Could not have done it without all the great examples everyone has done!

I don't have a screen shot, but I'm attaching the configuration if anyone wants it. When I have more time I'd like to do something prettier for the rating icons, but for now it is just text asterisks.

MeSue
2010-05-10, 08:08
Hi all,

I made a pretty simple custom Now Playing Screensaver which makes it
easy to read the time at a glance, but also shows track info--great for
in the bathroom and poolside, the 2 places where I use my radio most.

It shows artist, album, song title, trackstat rating, and a honking big
clock. The background is the shaded album cover. Also shows play status
and battery status (with images borrowed from tcutting--thank you!).
Could not have done it without all the great examples everyone has
done!

I don't have a screen shot, but I'm attaching the configuration if
anyone wants it. When I have more time I'd like to do something
prettier for the rating icons, but for now it is just text asterisks.

+-------------------------------------------------------------------+
|Filename: Big Clock (shaded cover) - radio.txt |
|Download: http://forums.slimdevices.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=9894|
+-------------------------------------------------------------------+

--
MeSue

SUE

1 Duet | 2 Booms | 1 Radio | 1 Touch (beta) | 1 SB2
HP MediaSmart EX470 | Squeezebox Server 7.4 | iPod Touch w/ iPeng
Find me on 'Last.FM' (http://www.last.fm/user/MeSue) | 'Twitter'
(http://twitter.com/suechastain)
------------------------------------------------------------------------
MeSue's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=985
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=68269

madpatrick
2010-05-12, 00:29
Hello Erland,

Is it possible to sort the styles on device. Now there is a big list with style s for 3 sort of devices (touch, controller and radio. Is it possible to show only styles for the selected device from the section "Music System".
i'm afraid when the list of styles grows it will be hard to get a good overview, espacially when the syles are online stored.

madpatrick
2010-05-12, 00:29
Hello Erland,

Is it possible to sort the styles on device. Now there is a big list
with style s for 3 sort of devices (touch, controller and radio. Is it
possible to show only styles for the selected device from the section
"Music System".
i'm afraid when the list of styles grows it will be hard to get a good
overview, espacially when the syles are online stored.

--
madpatrick

-
Patrick
madpatrick's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=4929

erland
2010-05-12, 01:15
Hello Erland,

Is it possible to sort the styles on device. Now there is a big list with style s for 3 sort of devices (touch, controller and radio. Is it possible to show only styles for the selected device from the section "Music System".
i'm afraid when the list of styles grows it will be hard to get a good overview, espacially when the syles are online stored.

Are you talking about the list in the Touch/Radio/Controller menus Settings/Screen/Screensavers/Custom Clock Settings ?
Or are you talking about the list in the SBS web interface in Custom Clock Helper ?

The style list on the devices should already be limited to the styles supported on the particular device. The style list in Custom Clock Helper contains styles for all type of devices.

erland
2010-05-12, 01:15
madpatrick;545644 Wrote:
> Hello Erland,
>
> Is it possible to sort the styles on device. Now there is a big list
> with style s for 3 sort of devices (touch, controller and radio. Is it
> possible to show only styles for the selected device from the section
> "Music System".
> i'm afraid when the list of styles grows it will be hard to get a good
> overview, espacially when the syles are online stored.
>
Are you talking about the list in the Touch/Radio/Controller menus
Settings/Screen/Screensavers/Custom Clock Settings ?
Or are you talking about the list in the SBS web interface in Custom
Clock Helper ?

The style list on the devices should already be limited to the styles
supported on the particular device. The style list in Custom Clock
Helper contains styles for all type of devices.

--
erland

Erland Isaksson
'My homepage' (http://erland.isaksson.info) (Install my plugins through
Extension Downloader)
(Developer of 'TrackStat, SQLPlayList, DynamicPlayList, Custom Browse,
Custom Scan, Custom Skip, Multi Library, Title Switcher and Database
Query plugins'
(http://wiki.erland.isaksson.info/index.php/Category:SlimServer))
erland's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=3124

madpatrick
2010-05-13, 04:31
madpatrick;545644 Wrote:
> Hello Erland,
>
> Is it possible to sort the styles on device. Now there is a big list
> with style s for 3 sort of devices (touch, controller and radio. Is it
> possible to show only styles for the selected device from the section
> "Music System".
> i'm afraid when the list of styles grows it will be hard to get a good
> overview, espacially when the syles are online stored.
>
Are you talking about the list in the Touch/Radio/Controller menus
Settings/Screen/Screensavers/Custom Clock Settings ?
Or are you talking about the list in the SBS web interface in Custom
Clock Helper ?

The style list on the devices should already be limited to the styles
supported on the particular device. The style list in Custom Clock
Helper contains styles for all type of devices.

--
erland

Erland Isaksson
'My homepage' (http://erland.isaksson.info) (Install my plugins through
Extension Downloader)
(Developer of 'TrackStat, SQLPlayList, DynamicPlayList, Custom Browse,
Custom Scan, Custom Skip, Multi Library, Title Switcher and Database
Query plugins'
(http://wiki.erland.isaksson.info/index.php/Category:SlimServer))
erland's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=3124

I mean indead the stylelist in the CustomClock Helper is SBS. It is becoming a long list now, so if only touch styles are visible on my touch i'll happy.

Mnyb
2010-05-18, 10:21
I like Custom Clock I created my own style here.

Sorry can not configure desktop squeezeplay 7.6 for Custom Clock the configure menu just bounces.
So no pic just my style here.

I discovered that you can not only choose the colors in the dropdown list.
You can enter a numeric value.

like this 0x737577ff ?
But what is it it is not CSS colors like a web page where you have 6 hex numbers ?
There is obviously more numbers/parameters here :)

erland
2010-05-18, 11:32
I discovered that you can not only choose the colors in the dropdown list.
You can enter a numeric value.

like this 0x737577ff ?
But what is it it is not CSS colors like a web page where you have 6 hex numbers ?
There is obviously more numbers/parameters here :)

73 = Red (00 = black, ff = most red)
75 = Green (00 = black, ff = most green)
77 = Blue (00 = black, ff = most blue)
ff = Alpha channel (transparency) (00 = transparent, ff = solid)

Mnyb
2010-05-18, 11:40
73 = Red (00 = black, ff = most red)
75 = Green (00 = black, ff = most green)
77 = Blue (00 = black, ff = most blue)
ff = Alpha channel (transparency) (00 = transparent, ff = solid)

Oh so the 0x part is some denotation for "hex" looks familiar now that you point it out.

Now use gimp or fotoshop or similar to get the numbers, makes it much easier to experiment :)

erland
2010-05-20, 23:41
I'll get back later with a bit more details how to use the new features, but there is now a new version of the Custom Clock applet including helper plugin available, so you can start the experiment with it.

******* Note!**********
All the sdt related styles and items requires a recent version of Super Date Time soon to be released. If you really want to try the new features already now you can install the release candidate of Super Date Time manually, it's found in this post:
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?p=549065#post549065
(Keep in mind that it's not an official release yet)

**** CREDITS ****
- GoCubs should have all credits for the extensions he has made to the Super Date Time plugin that opened up a LOT of possibilities. Custom Clock just displays what Super Date Time provides.
- bluegaspode should have credit for including the necessary Custom Clock integration in his Weather applet to support the appleticon/applettext items.
- Anyone that has provided a style that's part of the bundled set of styles should now also see their nickname in the style. So if you haven't provided a style yet, please do and your name will be there too.

Anyway, the new features in Custom Clock (and corresponding Custom Clock Helper) are:
- Added support for new sleepicon item type
- Added support for new imageicon item type
- Added support for scrollable sdtsporttext item
- Added information about contributors in style list
- Increased so 9 configurations can be configured
- Corrected sorting in style list
- Show style name instead of just Custom Clock #4 in lists
- Added sdtweathermapicon items (requires new Super Date Time version)
- Added sdtsporticon and sdtsporttext items (requires new Super Date Time version)
- Added sdtstockicon and sdtstocktext items (requires new Super Date Time version)
- Added sdtmiscicon and sdtmisctext items (requires new Super Date Time version)
- Added sdtweathericon and sdtweathertext items (requires new Super Date Time version)
- Added appleticon and applettext items (used by Weather, Daylight Clock and Text Clock applets)
- Added pluginicon and plugintext items (used by MythTV and Mail plugins)
- Corrected artifacts on scrolling text (might require adjustments on some styles)
- Added support for having different fontsizes on multiple row items
- Added support for visibility group concept
- Added Custom Clock to Extras menu and made it possible to enable it on Home menu
- Corrected so it might work on SqueezePlay on Windows
- Optimize usage with Screen Switcher applet to avoid delays when switching screen savers continuously

Since I don't have the time at the moment to describe exactly how to configure the different items, I'll just give a few ideas of the possibilities.

With sdtweathermapicon you can show a satellite image of your area with current weather conditions, Greg's (GoCubs) Super Date Time plugin offers a number of different maps. You can also with the clip* attributes configure it to only show a specific area, for example the area around where you live even if the map is for a larger area.

With sdtsporticon and sdtsporttext, you can show a switching display with sport results with both text and team logotypes. All sport results available in the Super Date Time plugin can be shown. You can configure the layout exactly as you like and you can of course combine them with all the other item types supported by Custom Clock.

With sdtstockicon and sdtstocktext, you can show stock rates including a day chart for a specific stock. These items will of course also be switching so they will cycle through all stocks you have configured in Super Date Time.

With sdtmiscicon and sdtmisctext, you can show long weather information, stock or any information provided by third party plugins that hooks into Super Date Time. The items works the same as the sdtsport* and sdtstock* items. The latest beta versions of my MythTV and Mail plugins uses this integrations, so this means that people with MythTV can show currently active or pending recordings in their MythTV media center and with the Mail plugin you can get a mail notification icon or even show the subjects and some additional information about new mails.

With the imageicon, you can display an image, this has of course already been possible before but this item also have clip possibilities. Some usage examples could be showing a continuously updating satellite image of some area you are interested in. My personal usage will be to point it to weather maps which isn't already included in the Super Date Time weather map support.

Ẅith appleticon and applettext, you can display text or images provided by other applets. Currently the Weather applet by bluegaspode uses this which should make it possible for people mainly using MySB or TinySC to create a style with weather information. If you aren't satisfied with the default layout provided by the Weather applet this is now possible to configure exactly as you want with Custom Clock. Note, to configure your own style, you will need to run a separate Squeezebox Server, but after the configuration it should be enough with TinySC or MySB. Besides this, the just released Text Clock applet and also the Daylight Clock applet uses the same integration. So this makes it possible to display time as "quarter past four" or show moon or earth images in any Custom Clock style.

With pluginicon and plugintext, you can integrate any information that third party plugins that integrates with the provider interface in Custom Clock Helper provides. Currently, only the MythTV and Mail plugins in my testing repository supports this integration. It basically gives the same possibilities as the sdtmisc* items mentioned above for users that for some reason doesn't want/can run the Super Date Time plugin.

The visibility group concept included in this version makes it possible to have switching information within the same style, for example first show the time as "quarter past four", then show the name of the currently playing artist and finally show the current temperature from Super Date Time. I think this is going to be an important concept considering the limited screen size of the Radio and Touch. Dynamic switching items, as most sdt* items, also automatically adjusts the visibility time. So if there are 10 active sports event an item is shown long enough to display all 10 but if it's only 1 active event it will show shorter time of if there aren't any active events at all it won't be displayed at all.

It feels like the real strength with all these items is that you can combined them together on a single screen. I can't wait to see what people with some graphic skills can accomplish with all the SDT items when combining them with all the other supported information.

The Screen Switcher plugin has been updated so it works a bit better with Custom Clock and it now also offers the possibility to show different screen savers on different weekdays or times. I'll add some more information about it in the announcement thread for Screen Switcher later today. It's available already now, so feel free to try it out.

MeSue
2010-05-22, 20:27
Hi Erland, since I've been using my custom clock screen, I've noticed that the trackstat rating does not update as the songs change. I've tried both TRACKSTATRATINGSTATIC and TRACKSTATRATINGDYNAMIC for the title format, and 'tracktext' and 'trackplayingtext' as the itemtype. Is this a bug or a problem with my configuration? I've tweaked it a bit since my post, but not that much... it's in message #226 of this thread.

erland
2010-05-23, 00:25
Hi Erland, since I've been using my custom clock screen, I've noticed that the trackstat rating does not update as the songs change. I've tried both TRACKSTATRATINGSTATIC and TRACKSTATRATINGDYNAMIC for the title format, and 'tracktext' and 'trackplayingtext' as the itemtype. Is this a bug or a problem with my configuration? I've tweaked it a bit since my post, but not that much... it's in message #226 of this thread.

It's a bug, I think it should be corrected in Custom Clock/Custom Clock Helper 2.8.3197 which I just released a few minutes ago.

MeSue
2010-05-24, 16:15
It's a bug, I think it should be corrected in Custom Clock/Custom Clock Helper 2.8.3197 which I just released a few minutes ago.

Yup, that fixed it. I'm attaching a new Big Clock config. I re-arranged the layout better, and made all the text bold.

vdeknock
2010-05-26, 00:39
Post moved to correct thread

Sunnysekot
2010-05-27, 14:18
Hi to all!

EDIT:
I came to this applet via Gregs SuperDateTime. As it is now integrated with Custom Clock, I tried out this applet and the corresponding plugin and - WOW! Im addicted again. Its great, what you can do with this wonderful applet!!

I modified Erlanders SDT Last FM Celsius Style a lot to suffice my personal needs.
Of course I want to share it.
The main advantages:
Weather: Good Overview of Time, Celsius, rain percentage & SDT Image only of today (I only want to know, what clothes to put on today)
Time: good visible, wont be hidden by any other grafics.Date also available.
Grafics: Switching between my own Album cover (what for did I download all my album arts??) and nice LastFM Piccys of the artist.
I use a setting of 20 seconds for my album arts and only 10 seconds for the last FM Artist view. This makes the whole thing looking more steady and elegant in my eyes.
Track-Info: Big Title, small Artist and Album Info (like Original Homescreen) No Scrolling (for elegance and steadyness (My S-Classic is already scrolling)

I hope somebody likes it :)

PS:

Where is the radio screenshot saved? I have made a screenshot by holding down rewind and pause for a few seconds but could not read where the screenshot was saved.
Thank you ModelCitizen, without your question I had never known how to make Screenshot! At my controller it was at /media/some mad directory...
@erlander: Maybe you should put a short instruction into your Clock Helper Plugin of how to make a Screenshot?

EDIT: found out: No + allowed in Filenaming. If done, Export will Export a 2byte file...

EDIT2:
I have developed this style further this weekend:Now Artist in 1st line(fat),Title and Album small, integrated Repeatstatus,Shufflestatus, felt Temperatur and a decent slider.For this I allowed myself to borrow the Icons out of tcutting/Rikks configuration, so it depends heavily on tcuttings pngs now (which have to be online for the Icons and slider to be working)

cko
2010-06-21, 12:50
A new version of Custom Clock applet (2.1) and Custom Clock Helper plugin (2.1) is now available, the new features and correction are:
- Icons should now work, most items of type *icon didn't work at all in previous release
- Added support for title formats see below for more information
- Added support for new "ratingicon" item type to make it possible to provide rating star icons for the currently playing track

Regarding title formats, you can now in all "tracktext", "trackplayingtext", "trackstoppedtext" use the following keywords:
- ALBUM: Shows album title, was supported in previous version
- ARTIST: Shows artist name, was supported in previous version
- TITLE: Shows song title, was supported in previous version
- COMPOSER: Shows composer
- CONDUCTOR: Shows conductor
- BAND: Shows band
- ALBUMARTIST: Shows album artist
- TRACKARTIST: Shows track artist
- ELAPSED: Shows time the current song has been played
- DURATION: Shows the length of current song
- REMAINING: Shows the time left of current song
- TRACKNUM: Shows track number of current song
- DISC: Shows disc number of current song
- DISCCOUNT: Shows total number of discs
- X_Y: Shows the track number in playlist as "3/34"
- X_OF_Y: Shows the track number in playlist as "3 of 34"

In addition to this, you wan also configure additional title formats to be shown if you have the Custom Clock Helper plugin. This is done by going into Custom Clock Helper plugin settings and selecting "Various Settings". I haven't tried it yet, but the idea is that it should make it possible to use any title formats available in the SBS settings/Interface settings section, for example those provided by Custom Scan plugin.

Hello,

since a few days I'm using Custom Control Helper (2.8.3197) for my new Touch an I love it.

I have some minor problems with tracktext using Squeezeserver 7.5 (XP):

- TRACKARTIST => TRACKBillie Holiday
- ALBUMARTIST => Kein AlbumBillie Holiday (german translation)
- ARTIST => Various Artists, Billie Holiay (very long)

I tried to use "Various Settings" but I can not store any value in "Title formats". I'd like to use e.g. GENRE and PLAYLIST in title format.

Best regards, Carsten

steve0564
2010-06-27, 08:46
Unfortunately I cannot use this wonderful app with my radio. I'v done some test the last days.
Every time I use this app for screensaver together with the SDT-plug, my whs won't fall asleep in the night. Every time the whs suspend, one minute later the whs wakes up and so on.....
When I deinstall this app, all will work fine.
So, is it possible, that this app needs a server 24 hours a day to fetch his weather data?
I would like to use this app for the screensaver, when my radio ist switched off.....
Any ideas??

vdeknock
2010-06-27, 17:05
In SDT change your refresh time - you need to watch as SDT has server settings and device settings. The setting you are looking for is under the plugin menu on SBS for SDT - same place you enter your location.

erland
2010-06-28, 09:59
In SDT change your refresh time - you need to watch as SDT has server settings and device settings. The setting you are looking for is under the plugin menu on SBS for SDT - same place you enter your location.
Have you tried this an know it works ?

I'm just asking since I haven't tested this myself and suspect there might be some additional server calls. I think I only request new SDT information from the server at screen saver activation and when I get a refresh notification from SDT, but I'm not completely sure.

vdeknock
2010-06-28, 19:59
Have you tried this an know it works ?

I'm just asking since I haven't tested this myself and suspect there might be some additional server calls. I think I only request new SDT information from the server at screen saver activation and when I get a refresh notification from SDT, but I'm not completely sure.

No, my response is based on how it worked for the Boom only.

steve0564
2010-06-30, 00:16
The boom together with SDT works fine, without waking up my whs. Only the radio with sdt wakes it up the whole night...

erland
2010-06-30, 03:06
The boom together with SDT works fine, without waking up my whs. Only the radio with sdt wakes it up the whole night...

Is the Custom Clock screen SDT screen saver shown before the server go to sleep ?

Is the server totally turn off when used with Boom or are we just talking about some low power mode with no fans an no discs?

What is shown on the Boom when the server is turned off? nothing, SDT info or something else?

If you are happy with just showing the clock during the night, a temporary solution might be to use Screen Switcher to configure a different screen saver during the night

steve0564
2010-06-30, 04:26
Is the Custom Clock screen SDT screen saver shown before the server go to sleep ?

Yes, it is!

Is the server totally turn off when used with Boom or are we just talking about some low power mode with no fans an no discs?

The server use the suspend mode

What is shown on the Boom when the server is turned off? nothing, SDT info or something else?

SDT Weatherinfo

If you are happy with just showing the clock during the night, a temporary solution might be to use Screen Switcher to configure a different screen saver during the night
That might be a solution, I have to test.
With the boom, sdt is shown, when the boom is off. Then when the server felt asleep, the boom get a normal big clock! (Offlinemode)

Apesbrain
2010-07-03, 10:34
I really like the stock "Now Playing" display I currently have on my Radio. It has the album art in the background zoomed to fit the screen width with track information overlaid at the top and other status information at the bottom. Can I use this applet to clone that configuration over to my Touch? Thanks if you reply.