PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Run The Radio Wired ? Lights in Back?

eap
2009-09-24, 06:11
I run my duet receiver wired and would want to run the Radio wired as well (my house is new construction and is pre-wired with ethernet runs in all the bedrooms, that homerun to my home office, where my router sits).

My question is, with the lights off, do the lights from the Ethernet cable in the back (orange and green blinking lights) cause an issue?

When I turn off the light in my family room where my duet receiver sits, I see a big orange glow behind the duet receiver from the ethernet connection and the green light flashes occasionally (even with the duet off). I'm not sure that it would be good to have that glow or intermittent flashing green in the bedroom.

I understand the clock light dims on the front of the radio, but what about the lights in the back from the Ethernet connection. Can they be turned OFF or dimmed? If not, can this feature be added via firmware? Otherwise, the wall next to my bed stand will have an orange glow.

I bet no one ever considered this issue at Logitech (since it appears that most people run these things wireless). However, wired is always better, if you have the choice for any networked equipment.

bpa
2009-09-24, 06:38
On my beta hardware, there is no LED on the ethernet connection on the back of the Radio so there is no problem.

eap
2009-09-24, 06:55
On my beta hardware, there is no LED on the ethernet connection on the back of the Radio so there is no problem.

Really? I thought that was an ethernet standard (i.e. required) -- are you sure they aren't there, but just not visible without the cable connected?

funkstar
2009-09-24, 06:59
If you look at the gallery shots on this page (click the Radio top right)
http://www.logitechsqueezebox.com/products/squeezebox-radio.html

you will see there are no LEDs in the ethernet connection on the back of the Radio.

If there was, this is not something that could be controlled by firmware. the control of them is purely at the hardware level of the ethernet interface it is connected to. It you have a look at your PC when it is off, the lights are still on when a cable is connected.

eap
2009-09-24, 07:09
If you look at the gallery shots on this page (click the Radio top right)
http://www.logitechsqueezebox.com/products/squeezebox-radio.html

you will see there are no LEDs in the ethernet connection on the back of the Radio.

If there was, this is not something that could be controlled by firmware. the control of them is purely at the hardware level of the ethernet interface it is connected to. It you have a look at your PC when it is off, the lights are still on when a cable is connected.

I saw that back shot before, but it really is hard to tell, as those LEDs are pretty small typically (and could still be there). Do you have the radio and are you confirming there are no LEDs there and no lights when connected via cable -- or are you assuming as such based on the photo?

Here is a closeup of the back of the duet -- you can see the LEDs and I'm wondering if they are there or not on the final version of the Radio (it looks like it is the same ethernet connection on the back of the radio as the duet -- but hard to tell in that one back shot available):

http://blog.tmcnet.com/blog/tom-keating/images/squeezebox-duet-backpanel.jpg

bpa
2009-09-24, 07:18
There are no LEDs on my SB3, Touch or Boom so I think Duet is the exception.

eap
2009-09-24, 07:28
There are no LEDs on my SB3, Touch or Boom so I think Duet is the exception.

Cool -- I hope you're right. Any logitech engineers out there? Post a closeup of the ethernet connection on the back of the radio please.

andyg
2009-09-24, 07:41
On Sep 24, 2009, at 10:28 AM, eap wrote:

>
> bpa;460978 Wrote:
>> There are no LEDs on my SB3, Touch or Boom so I think Duet is the
>> exception.
>
> Cool -- I hope you're right. Any logitech engineers out there?
> Post a
> closeup of the ethernet connection on the back of the radio please.

There are no LEDs, why don't you believe him? :)

andyg
2009-09-24, 07:47
Photo of the back.

pippin
2009-09-24, 07:52
Hint: There's a lot of things you can fix with duct tape. Ethernet lights on the receiver (or any other unit) is one of those...

Kiwi
2009-09-24, 08:08
.....I bet no one ever considered this issue at Logitech (since it appears that most people run these things wireless). However, wired is always better, if you have the choice for any networked equipment.

I would give the folks at Logitech the benefit of assuming they did think of that as the SB Boom does not have Ethernet lights as a typical usage of that device is as a bedside clock/radio. The other aspect to consider is that the SB Receiver only has the front LED to indicate status so the Ethernet LEDs perform a useful function in knowing something about a wired connection.

dean
2009-09-24, 08:20
That's exactly right, the LEDs are only on the Duet Receiver because
it doesn't have a screen to show messages about connectivity.

On Sep 24, 2009, at 8:08 AM, Kiwi wrote:

>
> eap;460962 Wrote:
>> .....I bet no one ever considered this issue at Logitech (since it
>> appears that most people run these things wireless). However,
>> wired is
>> always better, if you have the choice for any networked equipment.
>
> I would give the folks at Logitech the benefit of assuming they did
> think of that as the SB Boom does not have Ethernet lights as a
> typical
> usage of that device is as a bedside clock/radio. The other aspect to
> consider is that the SB Receiver only has the front LED to indicate
> status so the Ethernet LEDs perform a useful function in knowing
> something about a wired connection.
>
>
> --
> Kiwi