PDA

View Full Version : Touch with 'WD My Book World Edition' - does it work ??

Dr. Akoya
2009-09-23, 16:07
Will the external hard drive Western Digital My Book World Edition connected via ethernet-cable to a switch, that is connected to the Squeezebox TOUCH (and the internet) work together ?? Will the build in "squeezecenter klient" in the Touch be able to suck the musik out of the My Book, containing music subfolders (and other kind of files not supported by the Touch) ? The My Book should serve as a music library as well as a remote file storage through the Mionet service that comes with the drive.

Or how to set up WD My Book WE and the Touch by using the ethernet port on the drive ?

Have you tried it ?

Or would it work better if the My Book just is connected via the USB port on the back to the Touch and the ethernet port on the My Book then is connected to the internet ?

What will work well?

Thanks a lot......

aubuti
2009-09-23, 18:26
I'm not sure about your main questions, but I am fairly certain you cannot attach that WD drive to the SB Touch via USB. The USB on 'My Book' is to connect an additional USB drive to the My Book, not for connecting the 'My Book' to a computer.

I haven't tried connecting the 'TinySC' server in the SB Touch to a library on a NAS, but I expect it could be done. You may have to get into the command shell on the Touch to logically mount the NAS on the Touch so that the SB Touch can access the music files on the NAS.

Matt Wise
2009-09-27, 16:14
The My Book World Edition has an ethernet port, and does have specs that could allow TinySC (SqueezeCenter without the WebUI) to run on it... work has been done on this (I have it running on my desk at work), but there has not been enough time to dedicate to building it into a usable package.

This is something that I expect to get more attention as we get ready to release Touch -- because there will be alot more work going into TinySC.

JohnSwenson
2009-09-28, 00:20
TinySC does not have a GUI for going out and finding and mounting remote filesystems. As aubuti mentioned it CAN be done by hand using the linux mount command after SSHing into the touch, but that's best left to linux gurus.

I think Matt is talking about running TinySC on the My Book itself, rather than running TinySC on the Touch using a remotely mounted file system.

John S.

shake-the-disease
2009-09-29, 15:02
Will the external hard drive Western Digital My Book World Edition connected via ethernet-cable to a switch, that is connected to the Squeezebox TOUCH (and the internet) work together ??

Simple answer is: No

The Touch requires storage to be directly connected to its USB port if you are goin to use the Touch to serve music.

MrSinatra
2009-10-02, 06:00
what about a raid edition my book?

iPhone
2009-10-02, 06:19
what about a raid edition my book?

Quick question: Why?

Just buy two USB drives of the same size. One for connecting to Touch to play music and one for safe tucked away backup.

I have completely stopped using RAID. It has almost no purpose for home use anymore and as such is a complete waste of good hard drive space. One just needs to buy a big enough (or multiple) USB drive to cover backing up ones whole library. What is so mission critical in playing music that RAID needs to be used? Sure it can be thought of as the lazy mans backup to help safe guard data, but in the end in a total failure or burnt up server there is no backup so one might as well backup to USB drive and have a truly safe copy. Besides, really big USB drives are cheap now.

MrSinatra
2009-10-02, 06:22
well first of all, i already have one. see my sig.

secondly, the my book raid is just a usb device, with two drives. i have all my data on it, (not just music) and frankly its more conveinent, by several orders of magnitude, to have all my data instantly mirrored the moment i make a change.

aubuti
2009-10-02, 07:20
well first of all, i already have one. see my sig.

secondly, the my book raid is just a usb device, with two drives. i have all my data on it, (not just music) and frankly its more conveinent, by several orders of magnitude, to have all my data instantly mirrored the moment i make a change.
If it's just a USB drive then it will work plugged into the SBT's USB port. At present only FAT32 format is supported, but there are plans to add support for NTFS, ext2, etc. It's not clear (to me at least) if support for other formats will be in place when the SBT ships later this year.

Instant mirroring is only convenient if you don't make any mistakes. If you make mistakes -- or even if a lightning surge takes out your drive -- instant mirroring is useless and you need a proper backup, offsite if possible.

MrSinatra
2009-10-02, 07:55
If it's just a USB drive then it will work plugged into the SBT's USB port. At present only FAT32 format is supported, but there are plans to add support for NTFS, ext2, etc. It's not clear (to me at least) if support for other formats will be in place when the SBT ships later this year.

interesting. i think the raid part is handled on board but i'm not sure what filesystem it is, i'll have to check.

Instant mirroring is only convenient if you don't make any mistakes. If you make mistakes -- or even if a lightning surge takes out your drive -- instant mirroring is useless and you need a proper backup, offsite if possible.

i don't use raid to protect me from mistakes, nor is anything i'm doing on it so critical that i need such protection.

nor does using the raid preclude me from other backups, which i do in fact have. the difference is i don't update those as frequently, and having a up to moment backup is more important to me. kind of hard to do that and have it offsite at the same time.

aubuti
2009-10-02, 09:10
i don't use raid to protect me from mistakes, nor is anything i'm doing on it so critical that i need such protection.

nor does using the raid preclude me from other backups, which i do in fact have. the difference is i don't update those as frequently, and having a up to moment backup is more important to me. kind of hard to do that and have it offsite at the same time.
Right. Basically RAID protects you from losing data or "uptime" if^H^H when one of the drives in the array dies. Everyone has his/her own ideas about and tolerance of relative risk. I personally prefer backups -- both onsite and offsite -- that are updated daily.

MrSinatra
2009-10-02, 09:15
is there any chance that the touch would make the USB drive available as a network drive to other computers on the router?

aubuti
2009-10-02, 09:16
is there any chance that the touch would make the USB drive available as a network drive to other computers on the router?
Yes, the SBT also runs Samba for network file sharing. Nice, eh?

MrSinatra
2009-10-02, 09:30
indeed. now if it only had more power... run SC with webui, transcode, etc... and if they'd sell a cheaper ver without display, it would be pretty close to what i want.

funkstar
2009-10-02, 13:30
indeed. now if it only had more power... run SC with webui, transcode, etc... and if they'd sell a cheaper ver without display, it would be pretty close to what i want.
If the interface and playback portion of the touch was to be disabled, the web interface would be feasible. The main reason for disabling it is to prevent it from over whelming the Touch making audio drop out. After all it is primarily a player.

for transcoding you really want full support, which would include down sampling of high res audio for legacy players. This would need either an ARM compiled version of SoX or a move to different hardware, not just a more powerful processor.

bpa
2009-10-02, 13:39

I think the sheevaplug would meet these requirements - 1.2GHz ARM @ $99
http://www.plugcomputer.org/

MrSinatra
2009-10-04, 10:14
I think the sheevaplug would meet these requirements - 1.2GHz ARM @ $99
http://www.plugcomputer.org/

wow, thats a neat device! now, i'd like a SB client in it too, but as a SC alone piece of hardware, it looks like it would really be good.

i mean, i hope logitech is reading this... make a SC piece of hardware, and make one with optional display and optional client attached.

dean
2009-10-04, 20:04
On Oct 4, 2009, at 10:14 AM, MrSinatra wrote:

>
> bpa;465418 Wrote:
>> I think the sheevaplug would meet these requirements - 1.2GHz ARM @
>> $99
>> http://www.plugcomputer.org/
>
> wow, thats a neat device! now, i'd like a SB client in it too, but as
> a SC alone piece of hardware, it looks like it would really be good.

A while back, Andy was able to get SC running on it by copying over
the Touch TinySC binaries and just running them! And it was pretty
darned fast, IIRC.

snarlydwarf
2009-10-04, 20:16
On Oct 4, 2009, at 10:14 AM, MrSinatra wrote:

>
> bpa;465418 Wrote:
>> I think the sheevaplug would meet these requirements - 1.2GHz ARM @
>> $99
>> http://www.plugcomputer.org/
>
> wow, thats a neat device! now, i'd like a SB client in it too, but as
> a SC alone piece of hardware, it looks like it would really be good.

A while back, Andy was able to get SC running on it by copying over
the Touch TinySC binaries and just running them! And it was pretty
darned fast, IIRC.

Though an SB Client would be sort of useless since it has no audio out.

MrSinatra
2009-10-04, 20:18
the SB client attached to it (ie. one combined unit, the SB hardware + it) would provide the audio out, thats the point.

andyg
2009-10-04, 23:07
These Sheeva-based devices are great and can support transcoding. I
hope we can get an official build out for them sometime soon.

On Oct 4, 2009, at 8:04 PM, Dean Blackketter <dean (AT) blackketter (DOT) com>
wrote:

>
> On Oct 4, 2009, at 10:14 AM, MrSinatra wrote:
>
>>
>> bpa;465418 Wrote:
>>> I think the sheevaplug would meet these requirements - 1.2GHz ARM @
>>> $99
>>> http://www.plugcomputer.org/
>>
>> wow, thats a neat device! now, i'd like a SB client in it too, but
>> as
>> a SC alone piece of hardware, it looks like it would really be good.
>
> A while back, Andy was able to get SC running on it by copying over
> the Touch TinySC binaries and just running them! And it was pretty
> darned fast, IIRC.
>
>

MrSinatra
2009-10-04, 23:11
andy,

will i be able to access a webui on it? will they be able to access a network drive?

also does it powersave and WoL?

oktup
2009-10-05, 04:31
A turnkey(ish) Plugcomputer + SqueezeboxServer + DLNA Server + File Server + Web Server would be some sort of holy grail for me.

andyg
2009-10-05, 08:11
On Oct 4, 2009, at 11:11 PM, MrSinatra wrote:

>
> andy,
>
> will i be able to access a webui on it? will they be able to access a
> network drive?
>
> also does it powersave and WoL?

It should be able to run full SBS. I have no idea about powersaving,
but it probably uses minimal power as it is.