PDA

View Full Version : Retrieving playlist.

Ikabob
2009-09-22, 06:18
Sometimes I accidentally hold an "add" button down too long and it goes directly into my playlist wiping out all the entries. This is on SN. I know I may have asked this question before but, can there be no way to retrieve the list conveniently? Like a restore button....couldn't Logitech include a feature like this in a future update? It is really a pain to try to remember exactly what stations were in the playlist.

On another note....this Squeezebox stuff is consuming my life. I have never had so many choices for great music and great broadcasts. I recommend it to everyone I know. I love the classical and jazz stations I have found(TSF,Classics and jazz). I want more SBs for other areas around the home. My wife has even become a fan!

HOWEVER, we are extremely dependent upon the wireless service and on Logitech's support and databases. The SBs could be reduced to mere paperweights. Let's not think about that. Nevermind.

toby10
2009-09-22, 07:58
Playlists for SN are really temporary as there is no way to save a Playlist on SN.
Best to just add stations to your SN Favorites, then treat those Favorites as a permanent Playlist.
You can edit and move (drag & drop) SN Favorites to better organize them.
Back when I used SN I would "bunch" (drag & drop) the Favorites into genre categories, but it's still just a single large list of saved stations.

Siduhe
2009-09-22, 09:33
HOWEVER, we are extremely dependent upon the wireless service and on Logitech's support and databases. The SBs could be reduced to mere paperweights. Let's not think about that. Nevermind.

When I started using Squeezeboxes, there was no Squeezenetwork at all. You had to use Squeezecenter if you wanted to connect to internet radio or similar. If Squeezenetwork was finished as a service tomorrow, you could still use your existing hardware with Squeezecenter, and if Squeezecenter was withdrawn tomorrow, you could still use the latest iteration of the software for as long as your computer hardware would support it. I know this isn't quite the point you are making, but it's not true to say the SB's could be reduced to paperweights.

The potential difference is that you brought your Squeezeboxes with the intention of only ever using Squeezenetwork, which I didn't. That being so, I would imagine you understood the potential limitations of the service.

Squeezenetwork is not a replacement for Squeezecenter by a long, long way - it is essentially a light-featured external server with support for internet radio and certain music services. Personally, I do wonder if Logitech should do more to make this clearer to prospective purchaser. I also agree that Squeezenetwork functionality could be improved with things like playlists, but I suspect the changes that would be needed to support individual playlists are not trivial.

I hope this comes across ok - I'm not disagreeing with what you say at all (well, other than the paperweight bit), but trying to explain why I expect SN to stay feature light compared to Squeezecenter.

Ikabob
2009-09-22, 15:19
Thanks for the explanation Siduhe. I love the features of SN and of SC. The music fidelity is extremely good and the variety of music/talk/sports etc are great. I am listening now to unbelievable jazz, classical music ,football games and the choices are unending. I meant no disrespect for the product AT ALL...it's awesome! One day my SN did go out and I guess I did not know how to connect to SC....I guess turning on the computer would have been the 1st thing to do. Anyhow....the music is great...I want all my friends to experience the Squeeze System...I know they would be very impressed. And the forums are great too! Thanks for your help and all the others who helped me get going (Toby and many others).

toby10
2009-09-23, 03:46
There are a lot of changes coming to SN in the near future. So many changes and so different it will be that the name and web site SN will no longer be used. Even now they are "syncing" the 1 through 0 (10 total) presets between SC and the new SN and I believe the intention is for the option to sync all station Favorites between SC and SN in the future.

Whether these changes will involve SN handling of Playlists I don't know (and I kinda doubt) but many changes are coming. :)

Ikabob
2009-09-23, 09:51
Thanks for the tip, Toby. Are the changes all positive? I am so satisfied with everything I would hate to see things take a step in the wrong direction. But, why would they do that? Thanks.

toby10
2009-09-23, 14:20
Thanks for the tip, Toby. Are the changes all positive? I am so satisfied with everything I would hate to see things take a step in the wrong direction. But, why would they do that? Thanks.

IMHO, some positive, some not.
But it's early yet and still in beta.
We wait, we see. :)