PDA

View Full Version : AlienBBC for BBC Radio Scotland stopped working?

jimwillsher
2009-09-21, 10:07
Hi all,

SqueezeCenter StatusVersion: 7.3.3 - 27044 @ Mon Jun 15 15:12:32 PDT 2009
Server IP Address: 192.168.1.50
Server HTTP Port Number: 9000
Operating system: Debian - EN - utf8
Platform Architecture: x86_64-linux
Perl Version: 5.10.0 - x86_64-linux-gnu-thread-multi
MySQL Version: 5.0.75-0ubuntu10.2
Total Players Recognized: 4

SqueezeCenter and AlienBBC has suddenly stopped working....but only for Radio Scotland. Radio 1 seems fine.

I've atatched my log file (server.log). Can anyone spot what's wrong?

For reference, listenign to Radio Scotland onlive via a browser (http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/playlive/bbc_radio_scotland_fm/) seems fine.

Jim

bpa
2009-09-21, 12:14
BBC have now made Radio Scotland available on Flash/AAC and WMA streams. The BBC have stopped RealAudio for local stations - so I suspect they have done the same for regional.

For Flash/AAC - use the BBCiPlayer plugin. As the BBC seems to be cutting back on RealAudio - you should move your BBC listening over to BBCiPlayer plugin and stop using AlienBBC. Install BBCiPlayer (make sure it is version 0.9c or higher) and try it out. If you have issues BBCiPlayer - please post them.

For native playing of live stream and no transcoding - why not use the WMA stream (available using Radiofeeds)
http://wmlive.bbc.co.uk/wms/nations/scotland

jimwillsher
2009-09-21, 14:32
Many thanks bpa (again...). I'm now using the BBCiPlayer plugin and it's working!

I hit the same problem as I did a few weeks ago. The binaries shipped with squeezecenter are i386 only, and I'm running x64. So I've had to :

apt-get install ia32-libs

to get it working. Previous I was able to just install flac and symlink to that (replacing the binary in /usr/share/squeezecenter/Bin/i386-linux), and I tried the same today using faad. But it failed (silence) so I've had to install the ia32-libs.

Thanks again,

Jim

Triode
2009-09-21, 14:35
Squeezecenter uses a patched version of faad and flac so you should use them rather than the standard binaries. In the case of faad, the non patched version does not support radio streaming (as you found!)