PDA

View Full Version : Alarm, when Internet not available

JM2009
2009-09-21, 06:14
Hello All,

what will happen:
1. I setup on the "Squeezebox Radio" an Alarm which will enable an Internet-radio-stream.
2. Then my box is disconnected from the Internet or the radio-station has a problem.

Will I hear some kind of alarm-tone anyway, when the alarm-time is reached?

Greetings
JM2009

andynormancx
2009-09-21, 06:15
Yes you will.

JM2009
2009-09-21, 08:53
Thankyou very much for the answer.

I hope Amazon will deliver the box soon....

sander
2009-09-23, 18:52
Will this functionality extend to the boom or will this be the same as the boom?

The current boom functionality is the not connected alarm plays a wav file for one minute and then quits, which wasn't enough to wake me up when my server crashed.

funkstar
2009-09-24, 02:58
Will this functionality extend to the boom or will this be the same as the boom?

The current boom functionality is the not connected alarm plays a wav file for one minute and then quits, which wasn't enough to wake me up when my server crashed.
I don't know about the length of the alarm, but the basic functionality is the same as the Boom at the moment.

A standard alarm clock will usually only alarm for about 30-60 seconds.

Mnyb
2009-09-24, 03:22
I don't know about the length of the alarm, but the basic functionality is the same as the Boom at the moment.

A standard alarm clock will usually only alarm for about 30-60 seconds.

A normal clock radio would play the "buzzer" or alarm tone for at least 30 minutes or so, my neighbors told me. When I forgot it on for a week while I was away .
Most of my old clock radios I've owned have played the alarm tone "forever".

Easy fw fix for logitech would be to loop the 1 minute tone x times to the desired effect.

funkstar
2009-09-24, 03:27
perhaps I'm just too used to using my mobile phone or my watch as an alarm, but they usually just alarm for 30-60 seconds.

you are right, it would just be a firmware change to make the backup alarm noise play longer. i would guess this has been discussed extensively in the past though :)

File an enhancement on http://bugs.slimdevices.com/ that way the devs can respond easily and document their reasons.

Mnyb
2009-09-24, 03:46
perhaps I'm just too used to using my mobile phone or my watch as an alarm, but they usually just alarm for 30-60 seconds.

you are right, it would just be a firmware change to make the backup alarm noise play longer. i would guess this has been discussed extensively in the past though :)

File an enhancement on http://bugs.slimdevices.com/ that way the devs can respond easily and document their reasons.

I think it's already filed somewhere with with very low priority .

I'm a light sleeper so I usually wakes, in fact I often wakes when the server WOL's in advance of the wakeup, I use random song as wake-up so I get curious on what it's is today ;)

Here is the bug: https://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=12319
Vote on it if you think it's a priority to get rigth.
They discuss a 30 minute alarm time.

funkstar
2009-09-24, 04:25
Ah, I suspected there would be a bug already, but I'm lazy and didn't search :)

Added a comment referencing this thread.

Justme
2009-09-27, 05:07
How easy is the alarm to set/change? This may sound like a silly question, but I have got used to my Nokia phone as an alarm and I love the ease of changing the alarm time. As I work shifts and every day can be different, it becomes a chore to press buttons so many times to change numbers.

can the alarm also be set as defult to once only? This is anothe feature I love on my phone.

And finally, when I set my alarm on my Nokia, it tells me briefly how many hours and minutes I have until it goes off. Might not sound like a killer app, but it tells me two things I like: It clarifies clearly how long I have to sleep before I have to get up, and by doing this, it also confirms whether I have set the AM or PM correctly. This can easily happen when constantly changing the wake up time between day and night shifts.

Mnyb
2009-09-27, 05:35
Regatding setup (sligthly OT as tread was about when server was missing ).

It's very easy to setup especially with the web-UI .
You can have a whole bunch of different alarms preset even if you don't use them.

You simply set time and wekdays that your alarm is going to be active, and finaly choose to activate said alarm if you want it.

Each alrm has an "repeat alarm setting" if that is of I supose it only run's the alarm once one morning if it's such an alarm or one week if sheduled every weekday to be in that alarm.

The alarm could play a local file or a radio-channel or a natural sound or similar.

If you schedule and preset for example 3 alarm with the web-UI one weekday one Saturday and one Sunday or his or hers alarm.
Then it is very easy to turn them on or of with the ir remote or turn of all alarms.

Btw Alarms is a per player setting, so squeezecenter (soon to be squeezeboxserver ) can shedule all your players to different alarms.

I don't know how many alarms you can have, probably more than you ever need

Note that if any player are synchronized with a player that is scheduled for an alarm, the alarm is heard in both players.

Or if one theoretically have a couple of beers plays music with with all 3 players I have, synced . Falls asleep wakes to an interesting rock'nroll event in my whole apartment :-)

You are to choose how long the alarms is going to be and how long snooze would be and which volume alarms have, this is the same for all alarms on that player.

Edit: as discussed before in this tread if your server is unaviable you will only hear the backup beep, you should conect to the server once a dayat least with the boom it can only remeber one alarm at the time without the server.

Justme
2009-09-27, 05:45
^^ Thanks for the info and help.

Any news on the hour-minute count down feature by any chance?

When you say presets, are you referring to the preset buttons on the front? Can you set the alarm also to be a "playlist"?

Speaking of the preset buttons. Can you set a preset button to play a playlist? Unrelated to the clock function, I know, but I was just wondering about this.

Finally, I use MP3tunes locker, as I can't justify my PC being on all night, or when I listen to music. However, independent MP3tunes locker is to slimdeveices, I find it has many problems playing on my Boom or SB2. Sometimes nothing plays, or sometimes the song stops half way through. Would this be one of those cases where the Radio would select a preset wave file to play? Has anyone tested the Radio clock with the unreliability of MP3tunes?

Mnyb
2009-09-27, 05:56
Preset ? i meant playlist or favourites, song mixes, random mixes and a collection of sounds i use random song to get myself a surprise every morning.

Preset's I don't have a new player, but with 7.4 preset via the hard buttons 1-6 on the boom would not be the same as your favorite list that you can scroll with ir-remote or controller, I havent tried all possible settings so I'm a little unsure. But a preset can not be an alarm but favorites can and is easy to add and you can have a lot more than 6 favorites.