PDA

View Full Version : JiveSeer - A SqueezeCenter / HomeSeer plugin

JHC
2009-09-20, 19:27
JiveSeer allows you to access your HomeSeer devices and events from your SqueezeCenter / SqueezeBox controller.

In addition to providing you with ready access to events by group, and devices by location, you can customize the JiveSeer menu and build in quick-access to the events and/or devices you control most.

Setup is easy and requires nothing beyond having HomeSeer 2.x installed and running.

I developed the plugin using SqueezeBox 7.4 but it should run on earlier 7.x versions as well. I have tried to test everything but as this is my first plugin, please let me know by posting here if you have any trouble.

Full documentation and the download are available here:

http://ripbar.com/squeezebox/

Your feedback would be appreciated.

Enjoy

Jonathan

ThirdSectorMan
2010-02-20, 03:32
Hi - I'm excited about integrating HomeSeer with the Squeezebox Controller. I've followed the instructions but it's not working out for me. When I go to the Plugins page in SqueezeCenter, JiveSeer is listed. But when i click on Settings, I get "404 not found: settings/plugins/JHCX10/settings/basic.html".

It may be relevant that my HomeSeer and my SqueezeCenter are on different network devices and also use non-standard ports? HS is on 192.168.1.202:9502; SC is on 192.168.1.2:9002.

As far as I can see, although there is a setting to tell SC where to find HS, there is no setting to tell HS where to find SC. Can I do this manually?

JHC
2010-02-20, 23:05
Hi - I'm excited about integrating HomeSeer with the Squeezebox Controller. I've followed the instructions but it's not working out for me. When I go to the Plugins page in SqueezeCenter, JiveSeer is listed. But when i click on Settings, I get "404 not found: settings/plugins/JHCX10/settings/basic.html".

It may be relevant that my HomeSeer and my SqueezeCenter are on different network devices and also use non-standard ports? HS is on 192.168.1.202:9502; SC is on 192.168.1.2:9002.

As far as I can see, although there is a setting to tell SC where to find HS, there is no setting to tell HS where to find SC. Can I do this manually?

Hi there,

The problem won't have anything to do with HS and SqueezeCenter being on different machines or the ports being used.

I've only been able to test on a Windows-based SqueezeCenter and that might be an issue.

The good news is that you can edit the settings manually to start with and this will let you get past the error you're seeing.

What you want to do is find the directory where SqueezeCenter stores the settings for plugins. On Windows, this directory is something like:

c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Squeezebox\prefs\plugin

On your setup it will be different -- but there will be a bunch of .prefs files.

Edit the file called JHCX10.prefs and make sure the following two lines exist:

hsurl: http://merlin:8180/
mainmenucaption: Home Control

The first setting is the URL to your Homeseer web page. The second is really cosmetic and will be the main menu caption.

Make these changes and you should be able to carry on with the rest of the setup explained in the documentation.

Let me know how you make out.

Jonathan

ThirdSectorMan
2010-02-21, 00:03
Hi - Thanks for the nprompt reply. You're right - my SqueezeCenter is on a NAS (a Synology DS207 running, I guess, Linux). Anyway, I found the folder you mentioned. For me, it's at:

\\Oracle\volume1_dir\@appstore\SqueezeCenter\prefs \plugin

I found the file JHCX10.prefs . To be honest, i wasn't sure how to edit it but just opened it in Wordpad?? So now it looks like this:

---
_ts_helloname: 1266644108
_ts_hsurl: 1266644108
_version: 1
helloname: World
hsurl: http://192.168.1.202:9502/

Then I stopped and restarted the SC service (a few times!) but unfortunately still get the same message.

I can't really ask you to sepnd too much time on this as you haven't got a non-Windows setup, but if you've got any ideas that would be great.

pippin
2010-02-21, 06:59
The message means that the plugin isn't installed correctly.
Are you sure you used the correct "plugin" folder? There are two, one that holds Logitech's own plugins (Pandora, Last.fm,...) and one that holds 3rd party plugins.
The first one won't work for 3rd party plugins.

JHC
2010-02-21, 08:35
Hi - Thanks for the nprompt reply. You're right - my SqueezeCenter is on a NAS (a Synology DS207 running, I guess, Linux). Anyway, I found the folder you mentioned. For me, it's at:

\\Oracle\volume1_dir\@appstore\SqueezeCenter\prefs \plugin

I found the file JHCX10.prefs . To be honest, i wasn't sure how to edit it but just opened it in Wordpad?? So now it looks like this:

---
_ts_helloname: 1266644108
_ts_hsurl: 1266644108
_version: 1
helloname: World
hsurl: http://192.168.1.202:9502/

Then I stopped and restarted the SC service (a few times!) but unfortunately still get the same message.

I can't really ask you to sepnd too much time on this as you haven't got a non-Windows setup, but if you've got any ideas that would be great.

Ok -- good news... you found the file.

If by getting the same message, you mean you the one when you click settings, that's ok -- you don't need to get to settings anymore.

Now what happens when you try to use the "Home Control" menu? It should list
your devices etc.

Jonathan

mweb
2010-02-22, 09:11
I'm pretty new to squeezecenter and homeseer. I'm thinking of buying a vortexbox that will run squeezecenter and am looking for a way to automatically power up/down my amps when a player stops/starts. Would it be possible with this plugin? I think I understand that you can control homeseer devices through this plugin, but I'm not sure that a device could be created in homeseer that the plugin could update based on player status. Thanks

JHC
2010-02-22, 20:22
I'm pretty new to squeezecenter and homeseer. I'm thinking of buying a vortexbox that will run squeezecenter and am looking for a way to automatically power up/down my amps when a player stops/starts. Would it be possible with this plugin? I think I understand that you can control homeseer devices through this plugin, but I'm not sure that a device could be created in homeseer that the plugin could update based on player status. Thanks

Hi there,

I'm new to coding SqueezeCenter programming. If I could figure out how to respond to player events, then yes, this would be possible... will have to a little more experimenting.

Jonathan

mweb
2010-02-22, 21:30
Thanks for your reply. I just downloaded a trial of the homeseer plugin. It has the ability I'm looking for. So far, I'm impressed with how it works, but I'll keep an eye on yours. Thanks again.