PDA

View Full Version : Battery and wifi performance of Radio

MeSue
2009-09-19, 17:30
I'm one of the lucky few non-employee beta testers to have received a coveted Squeezebox Radio with a battery. I've been testing it out on battery all day and have been quite impressed.

I started charging it last night around 5:30 PM, and when I checked it around 10 it was fully charged. (Since I don't know how charged the battery was on arrtival, I can't be sure of the total charge time from a fully dead battery. I should know soon though.)

I played it on battery for a total of almost 11 hours between last night and today before it turned off. I also walked all around my property testing the wifi signal. This is not your typical neighboorhood--I think the yard part of our property is about 3/4 an acre--and I never lost the music even when I got as low as 5% signal strength.

The only time I did get a drop out on my whole property was when I walked to the other side of a large metal building. I was expecting a drop then, but it recovered nicely as soon as I walked back out from behind the metal building.

I also took it out to another building on our property on the opposite side of the house from where the router is and it played on just fine with 40% signal strength.

Also got to test the ambient light sensor in the bedroom last night. Caleb's not kidding--it can go VERY dim!

And I never dropped it!

vw195
2009-09-19, 19:34
Wow that is fantastic that the battery lasts that long.

What size is the battery??

Does it add a lot of weight to the radio?

Thanks for your impressions

MeSue
2009-09-19, 20:08
The battery is about 1.5 x 2 x 3 inches, going from memory. It's charging now so I don't want to take it out to measure. As far as the weight... I am really bad at judging that. It definitely weighs less than the Boom even with battery and is much easier to carry compared to the Boom.

ccrome2
2009-09-19, 20:51
The battery is about 1.5 x 2 x 3 inches, going from memory. It's charging now so I don't want to take it out to measure. As far as the weight... I am really bad at judging that. It definitely weighs less than the Boom even with battery and is much easier to carry compared to the Boom.

It's a 10 AA NiMH pack. It's 5x2 AA batteries.

-Caleb

kdf
2009-09-19, 21:09
On 2009-09-19, at 8:51 PM, ccrome2 wrote:

>
> MeSue;459808 Wrote:
>> The battery is about 1.5 x 2 x 3 inches, going from memory. It's
>> charging now so I don't want to take it out to measure. As far as the
>> weight... I am really bad at judging that. It definitely weighs less
>> than the Boom even with battery and is much easier to carry
>> compared to
>> the Boom.
>
> It's a 10 AA NiMH pack. It's 5x2 AA batteries.

Is there a reason why they aren't Lithium Ion (aside from perhaps cost)?
I thought Li was generally the better choice when high dynamic current
draws were involved.

-kdf

pfarrell
2009-09-19, 21:11
ccrome2 wrote:

No wonder you get serious life out of that. That is a lot of power with
decent constant draw current.

At least its not lead-acid like the battery pack on my first Sony CD
player. It was portable, but man was it heavy.

--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/

ccrome2
2009-09-19, 21:22
On 2009-09-19, at 8:51 PM, ccrome2 wrote:

>
> MeSue;459808 Wrote:
>> The battery is about 1.5 x 2 x 3 inches, going from memory. It's
>> charging now so I don't want to take it out to measure. As far as the
>> weight... I am really bad at judging that. It definitely weighs less
>> than the Boom even with battery and is much easier to carry
>> compared to
>> the Boom.
>

Is there a reason why they aren't Lithium Ion (aside from perhaps cost)?
I thought Li was generally the better choice when high dynamic current
draws were involved.

-kdf

Once again, one of those pesky trade-offs. Cost vs. size/weight vs. compliance regulations. Li-Ion is good, easy to chage, but they have a tendency to explode -- thus the necessary safety circuits (extra cost). It-Poly is less reacitve, but still has very substantial regulatory requirements. Ni-MH is very safe, less expensive, and for our requirements absolutely sufficient. We didn't need super high power/weight ratio (like a cell phone), nor high power/volume ratio (cell phone/laptop), which is where Lithium power solutions excel. The Radio needed high voltage, and 6-hour minimum playtime. Ni-MH was the chosen solution for that requirement.

kdf
2009-09-19, 21:30
On 2009-09-19, at 9:22 PM, ccrome2 wrote:

>
> kdf;459812 Wrote:
>
> Once again, one of those pesky trade-offs. Cost vs. size/weight vs.
> compliance regulations. Li-Ion is good, easy to chage, but they
> have a
> tendency to explode

fair point. I guess you already have a Boom, so best avoid another :)

iPhone
2009-09-19, 22:16
I played it on battery for a total of almost 11 hours between last night and today before it turned off. I also walked all around my property testing the wifi signal. This is not your typical neighboorhood--I think the yard part of our property is about 3/4 an acre--and I never lost the music even when I got as low as 5% signal strength.

Did you play it loudly for any of this time? And what would you say was the average volume level (0-100) during the 11 hours?

Local files, Internet Radio, or a mix of both?

autopilot
2009-09-20, 04:01
I to have been testing my SB radio with battery pack and can confirm battery life is excellent. I recharged it on Thursday night, played internet radio for 4 hours, left it to the next day and played it for another 3 hours. Today it has been playing for a further 1 hour and still going. It will be interesting to see how long it can go until it dies and its better than i expected.

As for WiFi; it's very good. Better than my Boom - works perfectly in areas for my house and land that the Boom would not work in at all. Also better than my Acer laptop.

The sound quality and volume is also astonishing. The friends who heard it at 100% in the garden last night were simply stunned.

I may be a beta tester, but i say this honestly hand-on-heart without bias - I am very very impressed with this little baby.

vw195
2009-09-20, 06:31
I somehow got the idea that the battery pack/remote was not going to be available at launch. Can someone remind me when the timeframe for the battery will be?

MeSue
2009-09-20, 06:51
Did you play it loudly for any of this time? And what would you say was the average volume level (0-100) during the 11 hours?

Local files, Internet Radio, or a mix of both?

I played it loudly for part of the time. I had it around 80 when I showered in the morning. Average when I was outside was 60-70. I did put it up to 90 for a bit. I used it inside for the majority of the time and volume was between 30-60. It was local music. I need to do another yard test with internet radio.

It took 6-7 hours to fully charge last night, but it was playing for part of that time. Not sure if playing while plugged in would slow down the charging.

MeSue
2009-09-20, 06:58

-Caleb

Are they the low-discharge type? (like Sanyo Eneloop brand name)

ccrome2
2009-09-20, 08:47
I somehow got the idea that the battery pack/remote was not going to be available at launch. Can someone remind me when the timeframe for the battery will be?

That's true, it will not be available at launch -- it's still pending some UL safety approvals. I don't know exact availability dates, but we'll get it out as soon as possible. Safety approvals are in process for the pack.

ccrome2
2009-09-20, 08:49
Are they the low-discharge type? (like Sanyo Eneloop brand name)

Yes, they actually are low-self-discharge type. 2000mAH.

MeSue
2009-09-20, 09:35
Yes, they actually are low-self-discharge type. 2000mAH.

Awesome. Those are the only NiMH I will buy anymore.

manoj
2009-09-21, 02:44

-Caleb

Does this mean we can just use AA's? If I got 10 of my own low-discharge NiMH AA's, could I use them, and could I recharge them in the Radio?

autopilot
2009-09-21, 03:47
Well i am at about 10 hours playback now (plus various periods of sitting idle but connected) and have not recharged since Thursday. Obviously there are various factors/conditions involved, but it's very impressive for a WiFi device :)

MeSue
2009-09-21, 07:27
Does this mean we can just use AA's? If I got 10 of my own low-discharge NiMH AA's, could I use them, and could I recharge them in the Radio?

No, it's a battery pack with a wired connector.

ccrome2
2009-09-21, 08:36

Nope -- it's a battery pack with a thermistor and fuse, and 2 mid-point monitoring voltages.

-Caleb

Rikk
2010-02-05, 12:17
my only concern is related to the life of this battery.
If you live it attached to AC battery are going to suffer of memory effect, unless you detach it as it is fully charged and live it off AC until it is completely discharged. It's going to be a pain, some kind of tamagotchi!

albright
2010-02-06, 06:38
AFAIK, modern batteries have no memory effect and deteriorate
whether used or not (maybe you can extend their shelf life
by keeping them half charged in the refrigerator).

I hope/expect that the circuitry will let the battery drop to 90%
or so before initiating a recharge (that's how my laptop
works) so we won't get too many recharges (that will kill
the battery).

Rikk
2010-02-06, 07:16
exactly, it would be nice to hear it directly from who projected this circuitry.
Another thing I'd like to ear is how many recharging cycles can stand this battery. Did they run some tests about this?
This could convince me to buy it.

bakkybfast
2010-02-09, 13:21
That's true, it will not be available at launch -- it's still pending some UL safety approvals. I don't know exact availability dates, but we'll get it out as soon as possible. Safety approvals are in process for the pack.

Hi,

what's about the "UL safety approvals", are they solved??
Are they the reason of delaying the Acessorry Pack month by month?

I'am reading, some people are in use of the Battery-Pack with no problems.
How I become a tester to the Acessorry Pack in Germany or earn a sample?

greets from GoG ;-)
Bakkybfast

Rikk
2010-02-15, 03:55
I hope/expect that the circuitry will let the battery drop to 90% or so before initiating a recharge (that's how my laptop
works) so we won't get too many recharges (that will kill the battery).
anyway I think it doesn't work this way, otherways that means that if you connect a battery at 50% it doesn't start to recharge it until it reaches 10% of charge.

albright
2010-02-15, 06:26
no - in my notebook if the batteries are detected at
below 90% capacity they start to charge; if above
90% the battery does not begin to charge

So if you took your SBR to the patio for half an hour
and the batteries got down to 92% they would not charge
when plugged in

The next time you go to the patio the battery goes down
to, say, 82%. When you next plug it in, charging begins

It is a simple algorithm

baldbear
2010-02-16, 05:52
anyway I think it doesn't work this way, otherways that means that if you connect a battery at 50% it doesn't start to recharge it until it reaches 10% of charge.

My Squeezebox with my home made battery, starts recharging immediately when plugged back in. It doesn't show a percentage, just an icon on the screen. (filling up battery). When it's charged the battery icon has a little lightening bolt in it.