PDA

View Full Version : Touch as in-wall Controller

chriscc
2009-09-19, 10:27
Hi guys. I'm stumped. A few other threads came close to answering this but maybe someone could tell me definitively:

I have a Transporter in my kitchen/living room. It would be cool to have a Touch attached to the wall on the other side of the room which could control the Transporter. I don't want any audio output from the Touch, I basically just want a wired Controller stuck to the wall. I understand this would under-utilise the Touch, but is it possible?

If so, can I confirm that its now playing works like the Controller? E.g. if I turn on the Transporter using the IR remote and start a song, would the Touch wake up and show the now playing display?

Many thanks,
Chris

pfarrell
2009-09-19, 10:47
chriscc wrote:
> I have a Transporter in my kitchen/living room. It would be cool to
> have a Touch attached to the wall on the other side of the room which
> could control the Transporter. I don't want any audio output from the
> Touch, I basically just want a wired Controller stuck to the wall. I
> understand this would under-utilise the Touch, but is it possible?

Yes

A Touch can control any SqueezeBox thing it can see.

I haven't tried that specific thing, but I would expect it to work.

Some of this has to be future pluperfect tense, the Touch firmware is
getting a lot of fine tuning done as we speak.

--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/

dean
2009-09-19, 10:55
Yes, that's the setup I have in my kitchen (though instead of a
Transporter, I'm just using a Receiver.

On Sep 19, 2009, at 10:27 AM, chriscc wrote:

>
> Hi guys. I'm stumped. A few other threads came close to answering this
> but maybe someone could tell me definitively:
>
> I have a Transporter in my kitchen/living room. It would be cool to
> have a Touch attached to the wall on the other side of the room which
> could control the Transporter. I don't want any audio output from the
> Touch, I basically just want a wired Controller stuck to the wall. I
> understand this would under-utilise the Touch, but is it possible?
>
> If so, can I confirm that its now playing works like the Controller?
> E.g. if I turn on the Transporter using the IR remote and start a
> song,
> would the Touch wake up and show the now playing display?
>
> Many thanks,
> Chris
>
>
> --
> chriscc
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> chriscc's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=15011
> View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=68087
>
>

iPhone
2009-09-19, 10:55
Hi guys. I'm stumped. A few other threads came close to answering this but maybe someone could tell me definitively:

I have a Transporter in my kitchen/living room. It would be cool to have a Touch attached to the wall on the other side of the room which could control the Transporter. I don't want any audio output from the Touch, I basically just want a wired Controller stuck to the wall. I understand this would under-utilise the Touch, but is it possible?

If so, can I confirm that its now playing works like the Controller? E.g. if I turn on the Transporter using the IR remote and start a song, would the Touch wake up and show the now playing display?

Many thanks,
Chris

As to the first part, yes the Touch can be wall mounted and even powered over Ethernet so you only have to pull one cable. It will work exactly like a Controller so you would Choose Player as Transporter. You would have full control over the Transporter. It would show Now Playing if that's the place you pick.

As to the second part, I'm not home now to check to see if Touch wakes up if I start the other player locally that was set as the player to control by Touch. But if you woke the TP up with the Touch, then of course it would be on then. If not already the case, I'm fairly sure it won't be to hard to have that set as the behavior you want.

chriscc
2009-09-19, 11:01
Well, I'm sold. Bring on Christmas. Thanks all.

Chris

aubuti
2009-09-19, 11:26
As to the second part, I'm not home now to check to see if Touch wakes up if I start the other player locally that was set as the player to control by Touch. But if you woke the TP up with the Touch, then of course it would be on then. If not already the case, I'm fairly sure it won't be to hard to have that set as the behavior you want.
I just tried this out and confirmed that if I choose my SB3 as a player on the SBT, and then turn off the SBT and turn on my SB3 with the IR remote, it wakes up the SBT and shows the now playing information for the SB3. If I turn off the SB3, the SBT goes back to its power off screensaver. I assume it would work the same way for the Transporter, but if you want to be sure just send me the TP and I'll try it out for you ;o)

iPhone
2009-09-19, 20:29
I just tried this out and confirmed that if I choose my SB3 as a player on the SBT, and then turn off the SBT and turn on my SB3 with the IR remote, it wakes up the SBT and shows the now playing information for the SB3. If I turn off the SB3, the SBT goes back to its power off screensaver. I assume it would work the same way for the Transporter, but if you want to be sure just send me the TP and I'll try it out for you ;o)

Thanks for the helping hand, I was fairly sure that would be the behavior as I remembered it but didn't want to say it as fact as I was replying by iPhone away from home (and it took so long that Pat and Dean posted before I finished, darn phone calls).

I'm back home and can try it out myself. Remember, I would have to come home to box up the TP before I sent it to you to try, so I might as well save the shipping and give it a whirl myself. But A+ for trying.