PDA

View Full Version : Chumby?

paltomare
2009-09-17, 16:48
Any chance the Touch will display Chumby widgets?

gfuchs
2009-09-18, 06:09
I was hoping for a Chumby integration in the Touch also.

hungarianhc
2009-11-02, 15:54
What is the current status of chumby integration? I have had a chumby on my night stand for a long time - I only recently got a squeezebox server and squeezebox radio. Can I use the chumby as just another speaker?

radish
2009-11-02, 17:37
What is the current status of chumby integration?

There is none. Assuming the Chumby can play a standard http stream you could get it playing that way (via stream.mp3) but that's far from what I'd call "integration". Someone could write an applet for Chumby to talk slimproto, but AFAIK no one has.

markbelanger
2009-11-13, 12:37
Looks like it will stream from the squeeze server / center
http://www.chumby.com/pages/cp_squeeze

Sort of a poor-sounding Radio on the cheap, maybe. (Referring to the new "One".)

radish
2009-11-13, 12:47
It's very vague about what it's doing, would be interested in seeing more details!

iPhone
2009-11-13, 13:15
More to the point is why? Why in the world would somebody own one if they have any Squeezebox much less the new Touch?

jmpage2
2009-11-14, 21:46
More to the point is why? Why in the world would somebody own one if they have any Squeezebox much less the new Touch?

There is actually a lot of love in the freeware community for the Chumby. Lots of really interesting widgets.

For example, when the alarm goes off in the morning it will do a custom series of widgets such as showing you the weather, then playing news headlines, then the previous nights sports scores if that's what you want.

There's no doubt that the Squeeze products sound light years better than Chumby as far as audio quality goes, but Squeeze has nothing on Chumby's capabilities as a table top internet companion.

paltomare
2009-11-16, 13:34
There is actually a lot of love in the freeware community for the Chumby. Lots of really interesting widgets.

For example, when the alarm goes off in the morning it will do a custom series of widgets such as showing you the weather, then playing news headlines, then the previous nights sports scores if that's what you want.

There's no doubt that the Squeeze products sound light years better than Chumby as far as audio quality goes, but Squeeze has nothing on Chumby's capabilities as a table top internet companion.

Which brings us back to my OP, I was interested in knowing if the Touch could display Chumby or similar widgets for times when I am not listening to music.

jmpage2
2009-11-16, 17:00
Which brings us back to my OP, I was interested in knowing if the Touch could display Chumby or similar widgets for times when I am not listening to music.

Nope.

Would be nice if it did though.

erland
2009-11-16, 17:37

If I understand this correctly it would require that someone implemented Flash on the Touch. I have a hard time seeing Logitech or Adobe doing this, so I think a more reasonable scenario is that you will have to wait for third party developers to implement lua applets to do similar things as existing Chumby widgets does.

If you want some specific lua applet, start wishing in the 3rd party plugins section and someone might get inspired to develop it.

djfake
2010-06-26, 13:10
How does the Chumby sound? Is anyone streaming to it?

djfake
2010-12-08, 13:15
How does the Chumby sound? Is anyone streaming to it?

I'll answer my own question. I now have a chumby one. The app to access your Squeezebox Server is built in, all you do is enter the server's IP address. The chumby connects to the Squeezebox server as a device, mine was called "Neptune". From there, you'll need a web browser or something else to configure a playlist.

The chumby one sounds like a great clock radio. Good sound, clarity, volume, range etc, not exactly hi-fi, but I wasn't expecting that either.

hoyeboye
2010-12-08, 21:22
I'll answer my own question. I now have a chumby one. The app to access your Squeezebox Server is built in, all you do is enter the server's IP address. The chumby connects to the Squeezebox server as a device, mine was called "Neptune". From there, you'll need a web browser or something else to configure a playlist.

The chumby one sounds like a great clock radio. Good sound, clarity, volume, range etc, not exactly hi-fi, but I wasn't expecting that either.

I've been using my Chumby classic for a good 2.5 years and it still sounds good...surprisingly loud. The downside to Chumby's Squeeze interface is that there is no control, essentially turning Chumby into a remote speaker. However, today I setup the Squeezebox Server on my home media server and set it up with the Handheld interface so I can control the music feed with my cell phone. Just wish I could use the Squeeze Apps on chumby, I would love to use my Napster subscription with Chumby. There is a sourceforge project to put the SqueezeBox interface on Chumby. Haven't tried it yet and I don't think it will run on ChumbyOne. Anyway, always glad to hear about other Chumby users.