Will we ever see an in-car version of the Touch?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MadScientist
    • Jun 2006

Will we ever see an in-car version of the Touch?

I'd love to have version of the Touch in my car and have access to most, if not all, of my flac library. I wonder if we will ever see a version adapted for in-car use? Or is this just too far removed from Logitech's product development pipeline. In which case a DIY job may be feasible?

MS
  • aubuti
    • Oct 2005

One of the SB Touch beta testers (forum username: iPhone) has been using the SBT in one of his vehicles. Says it works great. I don't think he has posted any photos yet, but he has posted some information about it in the forums, which you should be able to turn up via a search.
    Main system: SB3 > Emotiva XDA-1 > NAD C 325BEE > Vandersteen 1
    Living room: SB2 > Audioengine HD6
    Kitchen/dining: SB2 > AudioSource AMP 100 > 2-pairs of Polk Audio RC60i in-ceiling speakers
    Deck/patio: SB Receiver > AudioSource AMP 100 > Polk Atrium 45
    Study: Squeezelite-X on Win10 laptop with cheapo Logitech speakers
    Bedroom: SB Radio
    Quiet time: Hifiman Sundara headphones plugged into NAD amp or iPhone + AudioQuest Dragonfly Red DAC/amp
    LMS 8.5 running on a Raspberry Pi3 (piCore), controlled using iPeng and SB Controllers

Comment

• MadScientist
      • Jun 2006

Originally posted by aubuti
      One of the SB Touch beta testers (forum username: iPhone) has been using the SBT in one of his vehicles. Says it works great. I don't think he has posted any photos yet, but he has posted some information about it in the forums, which you should be able to turn up via a search.
      Thanks. I'm sure more users will look at in-car options after it's released.

MS

Comment

• JJZolx
        • Apr 2005

Comment

• iPhone
          • Oct 2007

Originally posted by JJZolx
          To funny Jim! That is definitely a Touch in a car, iPhone Touch that is.

Yes, I am using my Squeezebox Touch in my Expedition. I have a DC/DC converter that supplies 5VDC at 4 amps to the Touch. Connected to the USB port is a 320GB Toshiba USB powered USB drive with FLAC files and the Touch is running Tiny SC. I have found another DC/DC converter that outputs 5VDC at 2 amps and 12VDC so I can also use a 1.5GB MyBook USB drive. I believe the Touch only needs three amps when the USB port is being used to power a USB device.

I will try to post some picture when I have time.
          iPhone
          Media Room:
          ModWright Platinum Signature Transporter, VTL TL-6.5 Signature Pre-Amp, Ayre MX-R Mono's, VeraStarr 6.4SE 6-channel Amp, Vandersteen Speakers: Quatro Wood Mains, VCC-5 Reference Center, four VSM-1 Signatures, Video: Runco RS 900 CineWide AutoScope 2.35:1, Vandersteen V2W Subwoofer

Living Room:
          Transporter, ADCOM GTP-870HD, Cinepro 3K6SE III Gold, Vandersteen Model 3A Signature, Two 2Wq subs, VCC-2, Two VSM-1

Office: Touch with Vandersteen VSM-1s
          Kitchen: Touch in-wall mount w/ Thiel Powerpoint 1.2s
          Bedroom: Squeezebox BOOM
          Bathroom: Squeezebox Radio
          Around the House: SliMP3, SB1, SB2, SB3
          Ford Thunderbird: SB Touch, USB drive
          Ford Expedition: SB Touch, USB drive

Comment

• JJZolx
            • Apr 2005

I wasn't really trying to be funny. I think the Squeezebox Touch is a very poor choice for such an application. There's now a 64GB iPod Touch available (for about the same price as an SB Touch and external hard drive) and for just $249 the 160GB iPod Classic can store more than 2000 albums in high quality MP3. There's just no compelling reason to kludge together some kind of Squeezebox setup in your car.

What really gets me shaking my head are the people speculating about how they'll be able to use the Squeezebox Touch with its internal server and an external hard drive as a portable system. Essentially it just gives you a gigantic multi-piece iPod that is bound to an electrical socket.

Comment

• gorman
              • Apr 2005

What about the fact that iPod interface is definitely not "steering wheel distance" friendly?
              I have a 32GB Touch mounted in my car... but the standard font size of the "Now playing" screen has been thought for 5cm use, not further than that.

Comment

• iPhone
                • Oct 2007

I wasn't really trying to be funny. I think the Squeezebox Touch is a very poor choice for such an application. There's now a 64GB iPod Touch available (for about the same price as an SB Touch and external hard drive) and for just $249 the 160GB iPod Classic can store more than 2000 albums in high quality MP3. There's just no compelling reason to kludge together some kind of Squeezebox setup in your car.

What really gets me shaking my head are the people speculating about how they'll be able to use the Squeezebox Touch with its internal server and an external hard drive as a portable system. Essentially it just gives you a gigantic multi-piece iPod that is bound to an electrical socket.
                The to funny part was about the two being Touch and an inside joke with Radish (the before the announcement idea he had). So probably a whole lot funnier for me then anybody else.

It doesn't have to be a kludge. Just as one has to have power for an iPod on a long trip all one needs is power for the Touch. I just bought a new 500GB Toshiba drive like my 320 today. It is the size of an iPod and USB powered. So I have the Touch and the drive the size of an iPod but 500 GB of favorite FLAC files. Thats it. The DC/DC PS is mounted behind the dash and all I do is plug the AUX RCAs in and the DC power. Squeezebox in the car mobile! When I get to the Beach or Cabin, unplug RCAs and power plug, take the Touch and iPod size drive inside and connect it to the Stereo. I have FLAC for the inside and road with way more song choices then my 32GB iPhone (love the iPhone, but you couldn't give me just an iPod).

Maybe its just me and the fact that I like music so much and don't care to listen to what is OTA and CDs are a pain when you travel. Or maybe because I have been driving around with SqueezeCenter in the cars with a Duet and SB3 for almost two years already and just think that Touch with TinySC just makes it that much easier.

And if car makers are including 40GB MP3 drives in their cars now, why would Touch seem so far fetched? Anyway, I had to have Squeezebox in my car before Touch and found a way to do it. When Touch is released, it will just be that much easier (plus the Mac Mini can come back into the house). The Touch is a whole lot less expensive (and less of a kludge) then a Duet and Mac Mini in a car to get Squeezebox mobile.
                iPhone
                Media Room:
                ModWright Platinum Signature Transporter, VTL TL-6.5 Signature Pre-Amp, Ayre MX-R Mono's, VeraStarr 6.4SE 6-channel Amp, Vandersteen Speakers: Quatro Wood Mains, VCC-5 Reference Center, four VSM-1 Signatures, Video: Runco RS 900 CineWide AutoScope 2.35:1, Vandersteen V2W Subwoofer

Living Room:
                Transporter, ADCOM GTP-870HD, Cinepro 3K6SE III Gold, Vandersteen Model 3A Signature, Two 2Wq subs, VCC-2, Two VSM-1

Office: Touch with Vandersteen VSM-1s
                Kitchen: Touch in-wall mount w/ Thiel Powerpoint 1.2s
                Bedroom: Squeezebox BOOM
                Bathroom: Squeezebox Radio
                Around the House: SliMP3, SB1, SB2, SB3
                Ford Thunderbird: SB Touch, USB drive
                Ford Expedition: SB Touch, USB drive

Comment

• MadScientist
                  • Jun 2006

I don't see why a SB Touch (or derivative thereof) is a poor choice for the car. I'd really like the convenience of maintaining my music in just one file format (flac).

MS

Comment

• gorman
                    • Apr 2005

Originally posted by gorman
                    What about the fact that iPod interface is definitely not "steering wheel distance" friendly?
                    I have a 32GB Touch mounted in my car... but the standard font size of the "Now playing" screen has been thought for 5cm use, not further than that.
                    Also, what about the fact that gapless playback is not necessarily perfect unless you rip inside iTunes? If you go the FLAC--->Nero AAC way you are not guaranteed perfect gaplessness.

What about the fact the the on-the-fly playlist tool is ridiculous? No "play this next" option, in 2009? Come on... Rio Karma *still* has iPods beaten in too many areas when you restrict the field to music.

To re-iterate, I own an iPod Touch, but for in-car use a properly integrated 2-DIN Squeezebox Touch would kick its ass anytime.

Comment

• radish
                      • Apr 2005

Originally posted by gorman
                      Also, what about the fact that gapless playback is not necessarily perfect unless you rip inside iTunes? If you go the FLAC--->Nero AAC way you are not guaranteed perfect gaplessness.
                      FLAC->lame works just fine for all my gapless stuff (and I have a LOT!).

What about the fact the the on-the-fly playlist tool is ridiculous? No "play this next" option, in 2009? Come on... Rio Karma *still* has iPods beaten in too many areas when you restrict the field to music.

To re-iterate, I own an iPod Touch, but for in-car use a properly integrated 2-DIN Squeezebox Touch would kick its ass anytime.
                      Agreed, ipod is far from the perfect portable player. But what I really want is a better ipod (that I can carry around or use in the car) - not a player that's attached to a 2 ton lump of metal. I remember when "car phones" became "cell phones" and as far as I'm concerned "car stereos" have already become "speakers for mp3 players". Just need a better mp3 player...
                      http://www.last.fm/user/polymeric

Comment

• Goodsounds
                        • Nov 2007

......There's just no compelling reason to kludge together some kind of Squeezebox setup in your car.

I couldn't agree more, although I'm sure the company would love to supply products to automakers in lots of thousands at a time. It's overkill, the market is perfectly satisfied with car audio systems that allow people to easily connect the portable players they already own.

Comment

• funkstar
                          • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Goodsounds
                          I couldn't agree more, although I'm sure the company would love to supply products to automakers in lots of thousands at a time.
                          Then Logitech definitely would have to include a FM (and perhaps DAB) tuner. No way it would be accepted otherwise.

[Project Log] Funkstars Digital Lifestyle - HEXUS.Community

In use: 1x Touch, 1x Boom, 2x SB3, 1x Controller
                          In a box: 1x Radio, 1x (Beta) Controller, 1x Receiver, 1x SB2 wired (silver), 1x SB (black), 1x SliMP3 (with rear shield)

If you have any others, let me know, I'm interested!!

Comment

• gorman
                            • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Goodsounds
                            It's overkill, the market is perfectly satisfied with car audio systems that allow people to easily connect the portable players they already own.
                            Based on what sort of market research? Is this why every car manufacturer offers built-in sat navigation as an option? Because *the market* is satisfied with Tom Tom and Garmin?

Is this why VAG (Volkswagen group) in Europe offers an hard drive + SD compatible option for pretty much all of their cars?

I'd say market<>my friends and me is a simple concept.

Again, if one wants to draw the "let's save money" argument, fine. But the current state of digital music usage, in cars, is pityful.

Are you saying that you like to have to carry with you *always* an iPod, lest risking of not having music in the car? That you are happy not being able to control it from the steering wheel (risking your life and that of others)?

I could go on and on...

Comment

• gorman
                              • Apr 2005

Originally posted by radish
                              FLAC->lame works just fine for all my gapless stuff (and I have a LOT!).
                              What version of Lame are you using? What program are you using to do the conversion? Foobar?

I opted for AAC as it's supposedly slightly better at low bitrates (for portable use, even when using my UE-10, I don't go over 128kpbs).

Comment

Working...