PDA

View Full Version : sb3+ipod touch+ipeng= duet?

odiegg
2009-09-15, 19:42
i want to compare the two sets from the following aspects:

1. the codec performance
2. the controller interface ipeng vs duet controller
3. can the sb3 display cjk character correctly?

DoomWolf
2009-09-16, 01:42

1. the codec performance

1. I don't think there'd be any difference, but I'll leave that to someone else to answer.

2. I own both (Controller and iPod Touch + iPeng) and I prefer the iPod for its touchscreen interface. Scrolling long lists is far easier on the iPod and it's less prone to requiring a reboot. The iPeng interface is also going to be getting some improvements soon, which should make it even better.

The Controller does give the option of using it as a portable player, although that feature will be coming to iPeng in a future release. On the other hand, the Controller suffers from poor wireless streaming abilities at high bitrates. I have to transcode all FLAC files down to MP3 for playing on the Controller whereas my SB3 and Boom have no problems with FLAC files.

The iPod option also gives you all of the other features of owning an iPod Touch (internet, email, thousands of apps and games - it even plays music like an iPod!).

3. No idea.

odiegg
2009-09-16, 02:39
thanks doomwolf for replying

expect someone else to answer the first and the third question.

Schindler
2009-09-16, 03:55
I do prefer the controller. It easy fits into my hand - the iphone dosn't.

With iPeng for me it is hard to change the player (if there are many).

christian

signor_rossi
2009-09-16, 04:18
3. Yes, if the server is set up for it. But the Controller doesn't display CJK out of the box, you have to fiddle yourself and might not get a perfect result. BTW, the Controller UI gets an UI overhaul with SBS 7.4.

signorRossi.

pippin
2009-09-16, 04:29

1. the codec performance

1. Do you mean which codecs they support or do you mean sound quality?
Sound quality is similar, I found the SB3 just a tiny bit better but that may be just me.
Codecs are the same, I believe. They use the same processor.
2. I leave that to others to compare :-)
3. I have no idea :-) Should probably try it some time. Might depend on the OS SqueezeCenter is running on. iPod does display them.

Generally you should be aware that the SB3 combination does have an additional Display in the equation (which is quite nice).

With iPeng for me it is hard to change the player (if there are many).

Agreed. That's going to change.
But please be fair and say that switching players is at least a 20s activity with the Controller, too. On iPeng the screen scrolls badly, but the switch itself is rather quick.

Schindler
2009-09-16, 04:59
[QUOTE=On iPeng the screen scrolls badly, but the switch itself is rather quick.[/QUOTE]

Yes, so simple buttons maybe would be easier - don't know. I never get the right player at the first try. Also its not "clearly" visile which players are syncronized to/with each other.

christian

pippin
2009-09-16, 05:15
Yes, so simple buttons maybe would be easier - don't know. I never get the right player at the first try. Also its not "clearly" visile which players are syncronized to/with each other.

As I said: will be fixed with the next release. The whole player screen is re-worked now.

odiegg
2009-09-16, 08:23
sks pipin

the product info tells us sb3 and duet use different codec
but i will choose sb3 if they sounds almost the same.

hunta
2009-09-16, 08:25
Pippin, this next release sounds like the bee's knees. Are you able to tempt us yet with an estimate on time line?

aubuti
2009-09-16, 08:41
the product info tells us sb3 and duet use different codec but i will choose sb3 if they sounds almost the same.
The codec (FLAC, MP3, AAC, etc.) is not a function of the player. Do you mean the DAC (digital to analog converter)? The SB3 and SB Receiver do have different DACs, but most people say they are of comparable quality. I have not done rigorous blind AB testing, but in casual listening they sound the same to me.

pippin
2009-09-16, 08:43
Pippin, this next release sounds like the bee's knees. Are you able to tempt us yet with an estimate on time line?

Estimate. Hm. I plan to send it to Apple for approval this weekend so I'd say between the 28th and the 6th of October depending on how well it goes through.

fuzzyT
2009-09-16, 10:00
pippin wrote:

> ...between the 28th and the 6th of October depending on how well it
> goes through.

Sweet!

greg from winnipeg
2009-09-16, 17:50
I just purchased an ipod touch and am about to dl the ipeng app. Will the soon to be released update be free?

pippin
2009-09-16, 23:24
I just purchased an ipod touch and am about to dl the ipeng app. Will the soon to be released update be free?

Yes. So far, all updates on the AppStore are free.

odiegg
2009-09-17, 06:36
The codec (FLAC, MP3, AAC, etc.) is not a function of the player. Do you mean the DAC (digital to analog converter)? The SB3 and SB Receiver do have different DACs, but most people say they are of comparable quality. I have not done rigorous blind AB testing, but in casual listening they sound the same to me.

sorry,my statement maybe not precise.
the DAC is a right meaning

odiegg
2009-09-17, 16:33
here is a A-B testing result between duet and sb3

http://www.avforums.com/forums/streamers-network-music-players/703449-squeezebox-receiver-duet-vs-squeezebox-3-set-up-b-sound-test.html