PDA

View Full Version : Squeezbox Touch - Logitech Z-5 Speakers Compatibility

tonyme
2009-09-15, 16:12
I just pre-ordered a Squeezebox Touch and now I'm shopping for a nice set of desktop speakers to go with it. I'm interested in the Logitech Z-5's but uncertain if they are compatible with the Touch because they are USB powered and designed to run as a USB audio device. Does anyone know for sure if they'll work together? Thanks!

aubuti
2009-09-15, 19:29
I am 99% sure that in its current state the SB Touch does not support USB speakers, it can only be used as for inputs such as hard drives, keyboards, mice, etc. But apparently the potential is there for other uses, including speakers, if someone writes the driver software. See this thread for more info: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?p=455727&#post455727

fuzzyT
2009-09-16, 12:38
Wow. We're at least two months from release and we've already got users wanting to plug all manner of things into the Touch's USB port.

External storage, of course. But also USB DAC output and now USB speakers.

Any guesses as to how many USB ports will be present on the Touch hardware rev. 2? Or will it be possible (once drivers and such are sorted) to run all of these at once through a USB hub? (Not that the USB DAC and USB speaker crowds are likely to overlap.)

This will be interesting.

Edit: Missed one. Have now sighted a query about a USB to HDMI converter.

JJZolx
2009-09-16, 13:36
Any guesses as to how many USB ports will be present on the Touch hardware rev. 2?

What is "Touch hardware rev. 2"?

The Squeezebox Touch has one USB port.

fuzzyT
2009-09-16, 14:22
Yes, I know. Mostly kidding, though it may be worth thinking about.

The universal nature of USB makes it inevitable that folks will try to plug all manner of devices into that slot, with various expectations, and that they'll sometimes want to use more than one device at a time.

For instance, I wonder what the behavior will be with these scenarios that involve only attached storage:

A USB storage device with two or more partitions, each containing music.

Two or more USB storage devices via a hub.

JJZolx
2009-09-16, 14:29
For instance, I wonder what the behavior will be with these scenarios that involve only attached storage:

A USB storage devices with two or partitions, each containing music.

Two or more USB storage devices via a hub.

Good question. I know you can have a library on the SD card and another on the USB device.

pfarrell
2009-09-16, 14:42
fuzzyT wrote:
> Any guesses as to how many USB ports will be present on the Touch
> hardware rev. 2?

That is why God invented USB hubs.
Put a big hub, and connect tons of things. I think the USB spec allows
two layers of chained hubs.

--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/

JohnSwenson
2009-09-16, 15:27
I've run a USB DAC and a USB disk on a hub plugged into the touch, it works fine.

John S.

fuzzyT
2009-09-17, 06:56
Thanks John. That's good to know, and covers the use case I'm most interested in.

USB hubs are great when they work, but I have seen reports of issues with certain devices and/or their associated software when the connection is via a hub rather than being directly attached.