PDA

View Full Version : Liability issue with putting SqueezeCenter music library to the Internet?

the-ninth
2009-09-14, 06:16
Hi,

When opening the router/firewall to allow Internet access to SqueezeCenter (for example for playback via Squeeze Mobile), do you think that would create any liability issues?

Since as far as I know there is no authentication mechanism built into SqueezeCenter basically everybody could access and copy your music collection, which would make me you a provider of pirated music.

Regards, Robert

Mnyb
2009-09-14, 06:37
You can enable password protection for the web-UI.

But the offered security level might not be the highest possible

sebp
2009-09-14, 06:43
Rather than opening you SqueezeCenter to the world, you'd better set a VPN (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_private_network) up.
Nobody but the VPN key holders would be able to connect to it.

the-ninth
2009-09-14, 08:02
You can enable password protection for the web-UI. But the offered security level might not be the highest possible

Hmmm, but the server for streaming clients would remain open, wouldn't it?

Regards, Robert

the-ninth
2009-09-14, 08:07
Rather than opening you SqueezeCenter to the world, you'd better set a VPN (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_private_network) up.
Nobody but the VPN key holders would be able to connect to it.

The iPhone has VPN support, so from the client side that actually might work. However, neither my Router nor the NAS on which SqueezeCenter runs has VPN support, so for me it is not an option unless I buy a new piece of hardware.

Regards, Robert

the-ninth
2009-09-14, 08:43
Hmmm, but the server for streaming clients would remain open, wouldn't it?

It seems I am wrong, at least the Squeeze Mobile software on the iPhone seems to have an authentication option, which probably corresponds to the user authentication of the user interface.

I will try this. The authentication is probably not encrypted but I think that security risk is more theoretical ...

Regards, Robert

pski
2009-09-14, 11:09
I use the "Allowed IP Addresses" option. If the client is not at an address (range) in the list, they don't even get a response to a connect request.

pski
2009-09-14, 11:17
If you want to investigate a really cheap firewall/vpn/routing/filtering/anti-virus/anti-spam solution, see IP-Cop.

It's a free, web-administered Linux distro that can run on (sub) bare-bones hardware with very little memory (read <64MB.)

Two network adapters are recommended (but not required.)