PDA

View Full Version : RTSP, why not ?

EowynCarter
2009-09-12, 13:18
Ok, here is a (not so) simple question :
What is preventing rtsp from being implemented ?
Any technical or legal issues ? Or some other stuff took priority ?

Any hope for it someday ?

When the ticket has been open since 2006, that's scary !
https://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=3383

iPhone
2009-09-12, 13:29
Ok, here is a (not so) simple question :
What is preventing rtsp from being implemented ?
Any technical or legal issues ? Or some other stuff took priority ?

Any hope for it someday ?

When the ticket has been open since 2006, that's scary !
https://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=3383

OK if I understand RTSP correctly, why would I want or need to use RTSP with a Squeezebox? Isn't it mainly for Video and where the content can't be buffered as in live Video Conferencing?

Again, maybe I am missing something or not seeing an advantage for use with audio.

EowynCarter
2009-09-12, 13:43
rtsp can also be used to stream audio, like webradios. And quite a few radio I like to listen to uses only rtsp or mms.

iPhone
2009-09-12, 14:43
rtsp can also be used to stream audio, like webradios. And quite a few radio I like to listen to uses only rtsp or mms.

Yes I know the format streams audio also, but if not in a Live Conference setting, where is the advantage for audio (of course other then a station only streams in that format which one could say is a point)?

Isn't RTSP a bandwidth hog? I need to do some more digging when I have time. I just have a basic overview of the format.

andyg
2009-09-12, 14:51
RTSP would be useful for some WMA stations that stream using MMS-over-RTSP. But all it takes for these stations to stream using the HTTP method we do support is checking a single checkbox in the WM Server admin tool. So it hasn't been a priority for us to support. RTSP is also used for RealAudio, but it's not going to be around much longer and we have no plans to support it.

Note that you can install the AlienBBC plugin with mplayer if you need to play some of these streams.

pablolie
2009-09-12, 15:01
RTSP is "just" the control protocol. It basically sets up the session and control thereof (setup, teardown, pause ..). Many very popular apps support it, not sure if elements of the SC solution do or don't.

The actual data is then transported with RTP (real time protocol) which carries tiemstamps and sequence numbers and what not. RTP typically works with RTCP for monitoring things like quality of service etc of the session.

Not sure what parts of these protocols are or aren't implemented in SC, but then again their whole point is to provide interoperability among vendors in a very public environment - a consideration that isn't quite important in my home.

bpa
2009-09-12, 15:12
The RealAudio RTSP is different to the standard RTSP as it was used as a basis for the standard RTSP but is not compliant with RTSP.

This mean when you build mplayer you sometimes have to choose which flavour of RTSP you want to include.

EowynCarter
2009-09-13, 02:04
RTSP would be useful for some WMA stations that stream using MMS-over-RTSP. But all it takes for these stations to stream using the HTTP method we do support is checking a single checkbox in the WM Server admin tool.
I tried to contact them about this , no answers...

Note that you can install the AlienBBC plugin with mplayer if you need to play some of these streams.
Yeah, but it requires my pc to be on. My NAS won't work with alien bbc, and even having the NAS on is an annoyance. What's the point of squeeze network then ?

but it's not going to be around much longer and we have no plans to support it.
At least it's clear.

The problem there, it's not only one station, but quite a number of them.
Oh great, now it seams that the daap server from synology and Squeezecenter conflicts. What a mess.

I did a count. Among the radio in paris.
77 none working radio on a total of 131. Nice result umm ? Among these, about 5 radio when sound won't play, about 5 rtsp only, and the rest mms / rtsp.
A majority of the radios in my area don't work, and not a priority ?

jdoering
2009-09-15, 01:10
Telling a consumer how easy it is for a radio station can reconfigure their server software doesn't really help the consumer much.

Sure the station might respond; but if it works for most of the stations listeners using standard PC clients it might not be much of a priority for the station. It should be a high priority for the manufacturer of a NMP to ensure compatability with as many music sources as possible.

funkstar
2009-09-15, 13:44
Sure, as long as the engineering required to implement it is reasonable for the amount of benefit it gives.