PDA

View Full Version : Which Music Services are free indefinitely?

Ikabob
2009-09-12, 05:28
Just was not sure which of the services were free . I know some have 30 day trials but I was wondering which ones are free "forever". I think RadioTime is one and Pandora is another. What about Live360 or last.fm or some of the others. Thanks.

MeSue
2009-09-12, 08:46
Just was not sure which of the services were free . I know some have 30 day trials but I was wondering which ones are free "forever". I think RadioTime is one and Pandora is another. What about Live360 or last.fm or some of the others. Thanks.

Pandora, last.fm, Slacker. Maybe others, but those are the ones I mainly use.

toby10
2009-09-13, 08:20
SB Offered Streaming Services (Feb 09)

Completely Free Services, No Membership Required, come preloaded on server menu (SC or SN):
RadioIO + 61 stations
Sky.FM + 40 stations
Live Music Archive
DI.fm (Digitally Imported) 52 stations
BBC (not all streams supported outside of UK)
ShoutCast 27,000 streams
SomaFM + 14 stations

Note: + = additional services offered for a paid membership

Streaming Services with MULTIPLE stream stations, preloaded on server menu with RadioTime free account:
1.FM 38 stations
181.FM 56 stations
1Club 70 stations
.977 FM 11 stations
Got Radio 48 stations
Yahoo! Radio / CBS Radio 300 stations
……and others

Completely Free Services, but Membership Required:
RadioTime thousands of streams
Last.fm
MediaFly

Paid Subscription Services:
Live365 *
Classical.com (30)
Napster * (30)
Pandora *
Rhapsody (30)
Sirius (30)
Slacker *

Note: * = offers free limited services with a free membership
Note: (30) = free 30 day trial of full services

MP3Tunes with 60 day free trial. (upload your own mp3 library for online access, no computer needed to play these files with a SqueezeBox hardware player)

aubuti
2009-09-13, 09:35
SB Offered Streaming Services (Feb 09)
<snip>
Paid Subscription Services:
Live365 *
Classical.com (30)
Napster * (30)
Pandora *
Rhapsody (30)
Sirius (30)
Slacker *

Note: * = offers free limited services with a free membership
Note: (30) = free 30 day trial of full services

Good summary, but what Pandora services are not included in the free membership? Pandora has said that free accounts may become advt supported, but I haven't heard any ads yet. Pandora One has higher bitrates, but it's not available on SB yet. Is there any difference in the number of skips allowed? Last time I checked there wasn't, but that was a while ago.

MrSinatra
2009-09-13, 19:19
http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/3rd_Party_Music_Services

toby10
2009-09-16, 17:25
Good summary, but what Pandora services are not included in the free membership? Pandora has said that free accounts may become advt supported, but I haven't heard any ads yet. Pandora One has higher bitrates, but it's not available on SB yet. Is there any difference in the number of skips allowed? Last time I checked there wasn't, but that was a while ago.

So far, nothing different in the free Pandora account vs paid account. But I didn't know how else to "categorize" it as they do offer a paid service. :)

But, on the horizon (who knows when) Pandora will likely introduce commercials and limit stream time to 40 hours per month per free account.