PDA

View Full Version : Bathroom compatible squeezebox

christhedon
2009-09-12, 03:52
Hi,

Any products like that coming out? I guess it would need to be battery powered and splashproof / humid proof.

Cheers,

Chris

SuperQ
2009-09-12, 09:17
The boom is fairly good against humidity. A few people have them installed in bathrooms. Splash proof? It sounds like you should install bathroom ceiling speakers.

pippin
2009-09-12, 09:22
SB Radio will come with an optional battery pack.

I use my Touch in the Bathroom. It neither battery powered nor splash proof but the power supply if pretty far away from the actual unit and it's getting warm enough internally that I believe it will dry up when the steam is gone. No problems so far.

aubuti
2009-09-12, 09:37
The SD/Logi developers have said clearly on many occasions that the Boom, Radio, and other products are designed for non-condensing humidity, and that condensation could cause problems. Obviously some users are doing fine despite this, but you should know that if you try it and have problems, don't expect a lot of sympathy from the manufacturer.

MeSue
2009-09-12, 09:47
I have the Squeezebox Radio in my bathroom. It's not near the wet areas and I run a fan to keep humidity down. (I hate a steamy bathroom.)

I don't have a battery for it yet, so I just set it on a chair close to--but outside of--the shower when I take a shower. When I get a battery pack it will be easier to move it to shelf near the shower so I don't have to set it on a chair. Obviously I can't control it in the shower, but I just queue up something I like and don't need to mess with it for the 15-20 minutes I'm in there.

Andy8421
2009-09-12, 22:03
Depending on the construction, the things that normally suffers in high humidity areas are the speaker cones. I have installed ceiling speaker with polyprop waterproof cones and a duet / amp system in the loftspace to keep everything away from the water. The charger for the controller is in the bedroom, again away from the water.

Although I have been negative about the stability of the controller, I cant say the same about its ability to swim. My wife has dropped it in the bath twice now, and given a day to dry out it still works OK.

There are very specific regulations in Europe (and probably the US) about which electrical devices can taken or installed into a bathroom from a safety perspective. As a general rule, unless the device has been specifically designed for bathroom use, then dont do it. Damp hands and damp feet provide a very good path for fault current. Even if you keep the mains adaptor out of the damp area (eg wallmounting a touch in the bathroom with a remote psu), you are still relying on whatever insulation exists in the mains adaptor to keep you from wearing wings and playing a harp. Battery operation is by far the safest.

On a more personal note, it takes me 3 minutes to shower. It is clearly a gender thing, but how can it take 20 minutes to have a shower?

jdoering
2009-09-12, 23:25
As long as its not in reach of the shower/tub; I don't think there are any such rules for non-hardwired appliances in the US (thank goodness). There are codes of course related to hardwired installations (fortunately we can have normal switches and outlets in bathrooms). If there actually are rules on small appliances like radios then I'm pretty sure that the vast majority of people don't know anything about them and wouldn't care. The last thing I need is the government deciding for me what I can have in my bathroom.

Whether or not it's good for the speakers; now that could be important.

pfarrell
2009-09-12, 23:40
jdoering wrote:
> As long as its not in reach of the shower/tub; I don't think there are
> any such rules for non-hardwired appliances in the US (thank goodness).
> There are codes of course related to hardwired installations
> (fortunately we can have normal switches and outlets in bathrooms).

I am not a registered electrician or a PE.

But in the US Code, everything in a bathroom has to be on a GFI circuit.

Clearly things that are commonly used in bathrooms are not subject to
much in the way of safety rules, or hair dryers or electric razors would
not be sold. Actually, all hair dryers have a GFI module in them, in
cause the main GFI fails, as dropping a hair dryer into a bathtub could
be very bad even if its turned off.

Additionally, most US bathrooms don't have many electrical outlets.

I have been in hotels that had TVs in the bathroom, so there must be
some work arround on the mains power side.

Not sure what will solve the 100% humidity issue

--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/

pippin
2009-09-13, 02:39
At least in Germany the rules only apply to what you are allowed to install in the bathroom (as a professional). No laws forbidding to use a radio in the bathroom.

The first think you'd have to disallow if you did were hairdryers which would be kind of ridiculous.

It's a different animal for a manufacturer to label something as "for bathroom use" since in that case you'd be liable for it working correctly and safely.

MeSue
2009-09-13, 07:30
how can it take 20 minutes to have a shower?
That's for washing hair and shaving. Skipping either one takes off 5 minutes.

gary
2009-09-13, 13:26
I have had a version 2 box in my bathroom for over 4 years, not had any problems. the amp and psu are in the loft, speakers cut into the ceiling. squeezebox sits on a bracket above my sink. humidity controlled fan if the room gets to steamy.

Gary

christhedon
2009-09-27, 11:32
Think I'll get the squeezebox radio with battery pack, that way I don't have the problem of getting electrocuted!!! Its not clear from the adverts whether a battery is included or not. OR how long the battery lasts before needing a charge...

MeSue
2009-09-27, 11:46
The battery is an accessory you have to buy separately. It also comes with a remote, which I think is the smaller Boom remote.

Logitech is saying 6 hours for battery life. I got almost 11 hours on my first charge. Take a look in the Squeezebox Radio forum for more info.

SoulSurvivor
2009-10-01, 07:19
The boom is fairly good against humidity. A few people have them installed in bathrooms. Splash proof? It sounds like you should install bathroom ceiling speakers.

There is a thread called 'Pimp my Bathroom' in the System Photos forum, maybe you can get some ideas from there.

I have an SB3 and some waterproof speakers in the bathroom. Got the waterproof speakers from eBay. The speakers are inside some wallpaper covered MDF and made a little shelf for the SB3. Plugs into the shavers socket hidden away inside the bathroom cabinet. Sound is pretty decent for a room the size of a small bathroom.

Its the 2nd picture here

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpost.php?p=386125&postcount=909

M