PDA

View Full Version : Amazon movie about "radio": Says I can listen to my music collection "without a PC"?

botski
2009-09-11, 11:17
Actually, it says "without a computer" (at the 0:26 mark) but I ran out of room in the title.

So, perhaps my question will clear things up: I have a squeezebox duet which I love deeply. All of my CD's are stored as MP3's on a PC and played through the duet.

1. Can I access the computer to listen to my MP3's? I cant believe that what the movie is saying is true at all.

2. If I am in the garage with my Squeezebox Radio, can I listen to a different song than my wife who wants to hear a different song through the duet?

Thanks!

MeSue
2009-09-11, 11:23
The Radio works pretty much just like the Duet. If you already run a Squeezebox server for your local MP3s, the Radio can use that. For those that prefer not to have a computer on all the time there is SqueezeNetwork (changing name to mysqueezebox.com) for Internet radio and music services. One of the services is MP3locker, which allows you to upload your ripped CDs and still listen to them without a computer on.

To answer your question #2, yes. Any Squeezebox can play separate music or they can be synchronized to play all the same music.

Hope that helps!

botski
2009-09-11, 11:28
MeSue, thanks so much for your quick and informative response.

The only decision I have to make now is whether to buy a boombox now or wait a bit and order the radio.

Justme
2009-09-11, 15:06
One of the services is MP3locker, which allows you to upload your ripped CDs and still listen to them without a computer on.

I wish Slimdevices offered this as one of their services rather than through a third party. I have subscribed to MP3tunes Locker and find it a very buggy setup.

In principle it is wonderful, and a great way listening to music as quite frankly, it's a little retro these days to still need a seperate PC on to store the actual music. But it just doesn't work well in reality. Songs take forever to upload and it never uploads them all so I have to manually find which songs are missing and do them one at a time. Then when playing back it stops in mid album.

Anyway, the new Touch seems to address this problem by having it's own server built in and the option for a USB memory stick or HD. But sadly the radio doesn't.

Maybe the next model radio or Boom will have this feature.

iPhone
2009-09-11, 19:50
I wish Slimdevices offered this as one of their services rather than through a third party. I have subscribed to MP3tunes Locker and find it a very buggy setup.

In principle it is wonderful, and a great way listening to music as quite frankly, it's a little retro these days to still need a seperate PC on to store the actual music. But it just doesn't work well in reality. Songs take forever to upload and it never uploads them all so I have to manually find which songs are missing and do them one at a time. Then when playing back it stops in mid album.

Anyway, the new Touch seems to address this problem by having it's own server built in and the option for a USB memory stick or HD. But sadly the radio doesn't.

Could happen, but I doubt it for now. Boom and Baby are different products with a different purpose.

But if one buys a Touch and has a WiFi router, then one can play ones music library over the network to a Boom or Baby without a server running if TinySC is running on Touch and ones library is on a USB drive attached to the Touch USB port.

Carry around a USB drive tethered to a Baby would kind of defeat the purpose of it being battery portable as in just moving only the Squeezebox Radio around where one wants some tunes.

funkstar
2009-09-12, 03:33
The next Boom perhaps, that would make sense. Not the next Radio though. The Radio is designed to be lower cost than the Boom, giving it wider appeal. The idea would be to have one Touch in the living room on your main system, then multiple Radios or other players dotted around the house, with Touch serving to them all.

MeSue
2009-09-12, 09:11
I can't say anything about the MP3locker service as I've never used it. For now, if I want to listen to my music without my computer on, I just tune in to "My Radio Station" via last.fm. It only lets you listen radio-style (random mix), but that is good enough for me for the rare times my server is down or I take my Squeezebox on a trip.

If Logitech could get together with Lala.com it would be awesome. Lala lets you match up your local music to the music in their library so you can stream it via the web. If you want something on lala that doesn't match up, you can upload it, but I just use the matching because my upload speed is so slow.

You can vote on the enhancement request for lala integration here: https://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=12414

gweempose
2009-09-13, 17:29
For now, if I want to listen to my music without my computer on, I just tune in to "My Radio Station" via last.fm. It only lets you listen radio-style (random mix), but that is good enough for me for the rare times my server is down or I take my Squeezebox on a trip.Why not use Rhapsody instead? That way, you can play any song you want whenever you want. Personally, I love the convenience of Rhapsody. When I'm on vacation, or simply out and about, it gives me access to virtually my entire music library. The only negative is that the sound quality is not nearly as good as I get with my locally stored, lossless files. That being said, you can't beat it for convenience. :)

MeSue
2009-09-13, 19:07
Why not use Rhapsody instead? That way, you can play any song you want whenever you want.

I've just never been drawn to the subscription services. I'd rather spend the monthly fee on music I can own. Makes more sense for a home-body like me. But ain't it great that we can have so many choices?

aubuti
2009-09-13, 19:09
Why not use Rhapsody instead? That way, you can play any song you want whenever you want. Personally, I love the convenience of Rhapsody. When I'm on vacation, or simply out and about, it gives me access to virtually my entire music library. The only negative is that the sound quality is not nearly as good as I get with my locally stored, lossless files. That being said, you can't be it for convenience. :)
There's also Napster, which provides pretty much the same convenience as Rhapsody. Napster also costs a lot less than Rhapsody: $5/month to stream anything from their catalog to your Squeezeboxen, and each month you can choose 5 MP3 downloads to keep.