PDA

View Full Version : accesing a friends hardrive?

Pidde1979
2009-09-10, 08:59
I want to stream from a friends hardrive to my squeezebox. Is this possible or is the Squeezebox restriced to only stream mp3 from my LAN?

pski
2009-09-10, 11:46
It would be better for your friend to run SqueezeCenter and for you to use SoftSqueeze to play remotely. (Or to play to your SB.)

JeffHart
2009-09-11, 08:41
Alternatively you would need to set up a share to the directory on your friends hard drive and then create a shortcut to that in the top level of your SC music directory.

You could then either scan for new music or just navigate there by using the music folder option. Either way it will add to your library database, if the connection is transient it might be annoying, however, a clear and rescan without the share would remove them from the database.

pski's recommendation to run SC is much more elegant and lower maintenance in the long run.

agillis
2009-09-11, 20:23
Might be better to use something like Simplify Media. But you would have to use a PC or a ipod touch as a player not your SB.

erland
2009-09-11, 21:26
I want to stream from a friends hardrive to my squeezebox. Is this possible or is the Squeezebox restriced to only stream mp3 from my LAN?

Some basic questions.

Where is your friends harddrive ? Is it in your friends computer or is it connected to your computer ?

If it's in your friends computer, where is your friends computer ? Is it at your home connected to the same network as your Squeezebox or is it at your friends home which is not connected to your local network ?

Do you want to do this permanently or just temporary for a few hours ?