PDA

View Full Version : SB Touch Wants Sqeezebox Server v > 7.3.3

gandalf
2009-09-10, 04:31
Just got 2 SqueezeBox Touch units (just released in New Zealand .. 1st for once!!), to add to our Squeezebox Boom.. The Boom has been happily running from SqueezeBox Server v7.3.3. When the Touch goes to open the Library, it reports " The Server needs to be updated to a newer version of the Squeezebox Server" ... We are on the latest "stable" release, so there would appear that the Touch firmware is looking for at least 7.4 or better??

Any Squeezebox developers out there care to comment on what is going on, and when a Fix may be available?? Has the Touch been released down here before the updated Server software is availible??

andyg
2009-09-10, 04:35
On Sep 10, 2009, at 7:31 AM, gandalf wrote:

>
> Just got 2 SqueezeBox Touch units (just released in New Zealand .. 1st
> for once!!), to add to our Squeezebox Boom.. The Boom has been happily
> running from SqueezeBox Server v7.3.3. When the Touch goes to open the
> Library, it reports " The Server needs to be updated to a newer
> version
> of the Squeezebox Server" ... We are on the latest "stable" release,
> so
> there would appear that the Touch firmware is looking for at least 7.4
> or better??
>
> Any Squeezebox developers out there care to comment on what is going
> on, and when a Fix may be available?? Has the Touch been released down
> here before the updated Server software is availible??

Heh, another retailer screw up? You would have to run beta 7.4.

EowynCarter
2009-09-10, 04:42
Good to know that. I'll be depandant on Synology for updates so.... No buying touch or radio before synology have a new version posted.

mherger
2009-09-10, 04:47
> Good to know that. I'll be depandant on Synology for updates so.... No
> buying touch or radio before synology have a new version posted.

Please note that officially Touch isn't for sale before december. No need
to rush...

--

Michael

gandalf
2009-09-10, 04:48
Thanks, I guessed as much as NZ is NEVER first to get anything!..

As a reseller, we bought directly from the importer, they have 18 more in stock ...

So how stable is 7.4A ?? Would we be better to wait for final release?

EowynCarter
2009-09-10, 05:04
"" Please note that officially Touch isn't for sale before december. No need
to rush... ""
Yep. And maybe by then, update will be there ;)

aubuti
2009-09-10, 06:38
Thanks, I guessed as much as NZ is NEVER first to get anything!..

As a reseller, we bought directly from the importer, they have 18 more in stock ...

So how stable is 7.4A ?? Would we be better to wait for final release?
Aw, come on, NZ is the first to get the sunrise every day....

7.4 and Touch (beta, not distributor screw up) have generally been working fine for me the past several months, but every now and then a nightly release of 7.4 will break something. So from one perspective it is very usable. But from another perspective it is not stable, and also many of the features are still incomplete. In particular, the on-board server software (aka "TinySC") still needs a lot of work.

So your choices are (a) trying 7.4 or (b) leaving the Touch in the box for another 3 months. There is no question that I would go for (a). Even if it's too unstable for you, you can always dial back to 7.3.3 and put the Touch back in the box until later.

Something else to consider is running two SC servers, one with 7.3.3 and one with 7.4. Then you could connect the Boom to 7.3.3 and the Touch to 7.4. That's what I've done, using a single physical server and SC 7.4 running in a virtual machine via Sun's VirtualBox. This has been great for domestic harmony, as my wife has absolutely zero interest in beta testing and wants things that Just Work(tm).

Phil Leigh
2009-09-11, 10:02
7.4 + touch is really pretty stable. Try it. :-)

pfarrell
2009-09-11, 10:04
Phil Leigh wrote:
> 7.4 + touch is really pretty stable. Try it. :-)

I agree, if you are sporting, give it a shot. Its not released. But I've
been running it for months, and its very close.

--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/

gandalf
2009-09-11, 22:11
Thanks for all the comments.. Both Touch units have been running from the latest build of 7.4 of SC, for 24 hours now, without even a stutter ... Looks good, and I guess can only get better.

Jetlag
2009-09-16, 08:31
Your setup photos please.