PDA

View Full Version : AlienBBC on Squeezebox Touch?

kesey
2009-09-08, 16:07
AlienBBC is a particularly marvellous plugin for Squeezecenter/SqueezeboxServer, allowing easy access to many radio stations, in addition to those of the BBC family.

Will it be possible to use it on the Squeezebox Touch?

bpa
2009-09-09, 00:02
AlienBBC should be considered to be a "end of life" plugin. The BBCiPlayer provides the same access to BBC programs and by using the AAC streams - it means that there is no need for transcoding on Touch.

I am not sure what you mean by "access to many stations". If you means ernable playing RealAudio. RealAudio is being used a dwindling number of stations but it would require a port of mplayer to Touch.

So an AlienBBC plugin for non BBC programs is v. unlikely to happen with the current AlienBBC team as

1. It will require a manual install process which will result in a higher level of user support for installation problems.

2. maintenance of mplayer port which may requires code changes and tracking of Touch OS updates.

3. Transcoding is not supported on Touch - it is possible that relevant SC code may not be tested or even removed in TinySC in current/future versions.

4. Mplayer has a large memory and CPU footporint which will probably degrade Touch normal operations such as screen handling.

kesey
2009-09-09, 00:45
bpa, thanks for the reply and clarification.

I often use AlienBBC to listen to e.g. RTE 1, RTE Lyric FM etc., as well as to BBC Radio 3 or 4. It is handy to be able to do this via saved Squeezecenter Favourites, without having to open a browser window to go directly to the station's URL in order to pull the station down.

BBCiplayer is excellent for BBC stations and I gather from your post above that it will be available for the Touch.

bpa
2009-09-09, 01:03
I often use AlienBBC to listen to e.g. RTE 1, RTE Lyric FM etc., as well as to BBC Radio 3 or 4. It is handy to be able to do this via saved Squeezecenter Favourites, without having to open a browser window to go directly to the station's URL in order to pull the station down.

For RTE there are WMA streams for live streams which will work on Touch such as.
RTE 1 http://dynamic.rte.ie/av/live/radio/radio1.asx
RTE Lyric FM http://dynamic.rte.ie/av/live/radio/lyric.asx

I think all the RTE "Listen Again" stuff is still RealAudio.

There are some stations such RAI (Italy) which still broadcast only in Realaudio - these will require a full SC.