PDA

View Full Version : How does the Touch sound?

dougwise
2009-09-08, 07:53
I believe the Touch has the same DAC as the Transporter. Does the Touch sound as good as the Transporter?

funkstar
2009-09-08, 08:09
See this thread:
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=67573

And no, it IS NOT the same DAC as the transporter.

Phil Leigh
2009-09-08, 12:34
I believe the Touch has the same DAC as the Transporter. Does the Touch sound as good as the Transporter?

No and almost certainly No. However it does sound really good via an external DAC of decent quality. I can't comment on the internal DAC quality as I haven't tested it.

ezkcdude
2009-09-08, 12:57
Is there any reason why the SPDIF output would sound better compared to the SB3? Is there more isolation or something?

JohnSwenson
2009-09-08, 23:54
In the touch the S/PDIF stream is reclocked by a low jitter flop fed directly from the main clocks. The SB3 has the stream coming directly from the FPGA. That almost certainly gives lower jitter on the touch output.

The SB3 has some EMI suppression devices on the output which messed up the impedance characteristics significantly increasing reflections on the cable, thus increasing jitter in the receiver of the DAC. The touch does not have these.

Both the touch and the SB3 have a separate "connector board" which is only a two layer board. Maintaining proper impedance of the traces when going from the multilayer main board to the double sided board was not done very well on the SB3, it seems to have been done much better on the touch.

So all in all the touch has a very well done S/PDIF output with a fair amount of effort put into preserving low jitter on its way to the DAC. Its not using expensive parts or any special "magic bullet", just honest good design and implementation with attention to the details.

John S.

silverr1
2009-09-09, 17:12
Wow that sounds like the Touch is well thought out. I hope I'm not hijacking this thread but it appears to follow the same theme. I currently have the Duet combo and running it to an outboard DAC via true 75ohm BNC-BNC cable. I modded the controller with a BNC connector. I was considering upgrading to the Transport due to the benefits of 24/96. Now that the Touch is going to have this will there be any benefits to going to the Transport if feeding an outboard DAC? Just interested in sound quality on this one.

thx

Nostromo
2009-09-09, 17:17
Sounds like you should get checked for synesthesia ;-)

ezkcdude
2009-09-09, 19:39
In the touch the S/PDIF stream is reclocked by a low jitter flop fed directly from the main clocks. The SB3 has the stream coming directly from the FPGA. That almost certainly gives lower jitter on the touch output.

The SB3 has some EMI suppression devices on the output which messed up the impedance characteristics significantly increasing reflections on the cable, thus increasing jitter in the receiver of the DAC. The touch does not have these.

Both the touch and the SB3 have a separate "connector board" which is only a two layer board. Maintaining proper impedance of the traces when going from the multilayer main board to the double sided board was not done very well on the SB3, it seems to have been done much better on the touch.

So all in all the touch has a very well done S/PDIF output with a fair amount of effort put into preserving low jitter on its way to the DAC. Its not using expensive parts or any special "magic bullet", just honest good design and implementation with attention to the details.

John S.

Thanks, John. Any best guess on how the Touch might compare to a Duet receiver? Is the SPDIF output on the receiver more like the SB3 or the Touch?

JohnSwenson
2009-09-09, 23:36
I don't have either a transporter or a receiver so I can't do any direct comparison to a touch. The Transporter is supposed to have a similar output to the touch and significantly lower jitter clocks. Whether this actually results in better sound I don't know.

All I can say right now is that the touch is quite a bit better into a really good DAC than the SB3.

John S.