PDA

View Full Version : To IPOD or not ?



ELOOMIS@woh.rr.com
2004-06-23, 13:03
Folks,

I have been a happy go lucky slimp3 player for almost years now. With over 600 CDs online I'm finer than frog hair....Heck I haven't rebooted my audio setup for over 6 months and that was only because of a power outage snafu.

Now its time to take the next leap. Looking to take my show on the road. I am looking at buying a HD-based MP3 player. I like the look, feel and capacity of the ipod but....how will it impact my current slimp3 setup? Somebody told me that you must use Itunes app with ipod? What exactly does this mean. Cant I just drag and drop or auto-syn the ipod?

Will I have to do anything to the file structure, format, or resolution of the current 38GB of tunes I now have. Any ipod/slimp3 folks out there.

Reason I posted here is beacuse I care dearly for my slimp3 setup and would scream if something mucked it up.

Thanks!

PS> Slimp3 management??? when are you going to have slimp3 shirts we can order? I have been asking this for some time now. Let's all spread the word...

Ken Anderson
2004-06-23, 13:14
My wife and I both have iPods, and we use the same music library for
slimp3 as well as the iPods.

We use iTunes to manage the music for both - it's just the easiest
solution, since the iPod NEEDS iTunes to sync to, and the slimp3
understands iTunes file setup. It really all depends on where you
serve the 38GB of music from for your slimp3, and if you want to hook
up your iPod to that machine or not. Of course, if you have great
local bandwidth, you can probably just mount the filesystems across.

To me, the simplest thing to do would be to serve the slimp3 from the
same machine as where you sync your iPod(s).

The only real caveat is, if you buy music from the iTunes music store,
you won't be able to decode it to use on your slimp3. To solve that
problem, we periodically burn CD's of our iTMS purchases and then
re-import them as MP3. Then (obviously), they're fine on the slimp3.

I'm not 100% sure how iTunes requires the file system to be setup -
maybe someone else on this list has some insights as to whether or not
you can keep your file organization the same or not. For me, I would
just use iTunes to manage the music.

By the way, I love my iPod AND my slimp3.

Ken

On Jun 23, 2004, at 4:03 PM, ELOOMIS (AT) woh (DOT) rr.com wrote:

> Folks,
>
> I have been a happy go lucky slimp3 player for almost years now. With
> over 600 CDs online I'm finer than frog hair....Heck I haven't
> rebooted my audio setup for over 6 months and that was only because of
> a power outage snafu.
>
> Now its time to take the next leap. Looking to take my show on the
> road. I am looking at buying a HD-based MP3 player. I like the look,
> feel and capacity of the ipod but....how will it impact my current
> slimp3 setup? Somebody told me that you must use Itunes app with ipod?
> What exactly does this mean. Cant I just drag and drop or auto-syn
> the ipod?
>
> Will I have to do anything to the file structure, format, or
> resolution of the current 38GB of tunes I now have. Any ipod/slimp3
> folks out there.
>
> Reason I posted here is beacuse I care dearly for my slimp3 setup and
> would scream if something mucked it up.
>
> Thanks!
>
> PS> Slimp3 management??? when are you going to have slimp3 shirts we
> can order? I have been asking this for some time now. Let's all
> spread the word...
>
>
>

Mark Komarinski
2004-06-23, 13:22
On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 16:03:33 -0400, eloomis (AT) woh (DOT) rr.com
<eloomis (AT) woh (DOT) rr.com> wrote:
>
> Folks,
>
> I have been a happy go lucky slimp3 player for almost years now. With over 600 CDs online I'm finer than frog hair....Heck I haven't rebooted my audio setup for over 6 months and that was only because of a power outage snafu.
>
> Now its time to take the next leap. Looking to take my show on the road. I am looking at buying a HD-based MP3 player. I like the look, feel and capacity of the ipod but....how will it impact my current slimp3 setup? Somebody told me that you must use Itunes app with ipod? What exactly does this mean. Cant I just drag and drop or auto-syn the ipod?
>
> Will I have to do anything to the file structure, format, or resolution of the current 38GB of tunes I now have. Any ipod/slimp3 folks out there.
>
> Reason I posted here is beacuse I care dearly for my slimp3 setup and would scream if something mucked it up.
>
> Thanks!
>
> PS> Slimp3 management??? when are you going to have slimp3 shirts we can order? I have been asking this for some time now. Let's all spread the word...

The best combination I have is my SLIMP3 and my Neuros
(http://www.neurosaudio.com/).

It's a bit more expensive than an ipod and a bit bigger, but you get
the following advantages:

FM broadcast built into the unit
backpack design - use a 20G hard drive or a 128M flash
Plays OGG files
Record radio
Built-in microphone
Linux/OSX/Windows friendly software
Use same base directory for both SLIMP3 and Neuros

They have an online forum similar to the mailing list, so if you go,
don't be surprised at all the "hey, feature X in beta firmware Y
doesn't work!!". ;)

-Mark

Chris
2004-06-23, 13:24
Hi,

I've both a Squeezebox and an iPod. I don't use iTunes and have never even
installed it. It's not a pre-requisite for the iPod, however much Apple
want you to believe it is.

I use a Windows system for the iPod and use http://www.ephpod.com/ (it's
free). I just use a fileshare from my Linux box that houses my music and
sync it with the iPod.

Cheers,
Chris.

Ken Anderson
2004-06-23, 13:25
Chris,

Well, I guess people should ignore my statement about having to use
iTunes! What type of file structure do you have to put on the iPod?
or doesn't it matter?

Thanks,
Ken



On Jun 23, 2004, at 4:24 PM, Chris wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've both a Squeezebox and an iPod. I don't use iTunes and have never
> even installed it. It's not a pre-requisite for the iPod, however much
> Apple want you to believe it is.
>
> I use a Windows system for the iPod and use http://www.ephpod.com/
> (it's free). I just use a fileshare from my Linux box that houses my
> music and sync it with the iPod.
>
> Cheers,
> Chris.
>
>

Chris
2004-06-23, 13:30
At 21:25 23/06/2004, you wrote:
>Chris,
>
>Well, I guess people should ignore my statement about having to use
>iTunes! What type of file structure do you have to put on the iPod?
>or doesn't it matter?
>
>Thanks,
>Ken

The iPod uses it's own weird file structure (it renames all your files and
uses a database to track them), but third party software manages this for you.

I guess there's similar to Ephpod for the Mac.

Visit some of the forums at http://www.ipodlounge.com/ - they're full of info.

Cheers,
Chris.

jacobdp
2004-06-23, 14:02
> I guess there's similar to Ephpod for the Mac.

There's also GNUpod for Linux: http://www.gnu.org/software/gnupod/

I use it with my iPod, haven't had any problems.

- Jacob

S. Ben Melhuish
2004-06-23, 14:07
> Will I have to do anything to the file structure, format, or
> resolution of the current 38GB of tunes I now have. Any ipod/slimp3
> folks out there.

I am a SliMP3-and-iPod owner.

By default, iTunes will rearrange your directory structures and
filenames to match the ID3 tags in the files. You can turn this off;
I've heard gripes that it doesn't always respect that setting, but (a) I
haven't heard many such gripes, and (b) once you use iTunes as your
music management software, there's rarely a need to worry about where
the files are stored.

-- S. Ben Melhuish

Victor Brilon
2004-06-23, 14:46
Jacob Potter wrote:
> There's also GNUpod for Linux: http://www.gnu.org/software/gnupod/
>
> I use it with my iPod, haven't had any problems.
>

Jacob,

Have you used these tools with an iPod Mini by chance?

Victor

jacobdp
2004-06-23, 14:51
On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 16:46:32 -0500, Victor Brilon <victor (AT) victorland (DOT) com> wrote:
> Have you used these tools with an iPod Mini by chance?

Nope, just a regular 3rd-gen 15gig iPod. I have no idea if they'd work
with a Mini, sorry.

- Jacob

Hugh Greene
2004-06-23, 14:59
On Wednesday 23 Jun 2004 21:22, Mark Komarinski <Mark Komarinski
<mkomarinski (AT) gmail (DOT) com>> wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 16:03:33 -0400, eloomis (AT) woh (DOT) rr.com
>
> <eloomis (AT) woh (DOT) rr.com> wrote:
> > Folks,
> >
> > I have been a happy go lucky slimp3 player for almost years now. [...]
> > Now its time to take the next leap. Looking to take my show on the road.
> > I am looking at buying a HD-based MP3 player. [...]
>
> The best combination I have is my SLIMP3 and my Neuros
> (http://www.neurosaudio.com/).
>
> It's a bit more expensive than an ipod and a bit bigger, but you get
> the following advantages:
>
> FM broadcast built into the unit
> backpack design - use a 20G hard drive or a 128M flash
> Plays OGG files
> Record radio
> Built-in microphone
> Linux/OSX/Windows friendly software
> Use same base directory for both SLIMP3 and Neuros

Just my 2 minimal-currency-units:

I recently got an iRiver iHP-120, particularly because I wanted a player which
(a) would record voice to MP3; (b) had a (probably-)user-replaceable battery;
and (c) wasn't as big as the Neuros ;-)

Features:
- 20GB HD.
- Only a millimetre or so larger than an iPod.
- Plays MP3, WAV, WMA (not copy-protected) and OGG.
- FM radio (but you can't record it).
- Record to MP3 or WAV from internal mic or analogue/optical line in (and
there's also analogue/optical line out).
- Win & Mac official software plus 3rd-party Linux support. (You can just
mount it as a USB 2.0 Mass Storage device and just drag files across, but you
need an extra app if you want to use its MP3 tag handling database.)
- Charges in 3 hours and plays for ages.
- 255 from www.advancedmp3players.co.uk

There's also a 40GB model and they're soon bringing out one with, err, a
colour LCD screen. For all those colour MP3s you have, I suppose ...

HTH,
Hugh