PDA

View Full Version : Server - Pros and Cons

jimzak
2009-09-07, 07:29
...so if I attached a 1.5 TB USB drive to the Touch, what would be the disadvantages of this arrangement versus attaching that same drive to a conventional computer with SC installed?

The obvious pro is not having to have a server computer on (I know a NAS works also).

Cons?

Thanks.

iPhone
2009-09-07, 09:21
...so if I attached a 1.5 TB USB drive to the Touch, what would be the disadvantages of this arrangement versus attaching that same drive to a conventional computer with SC installed?

The obvious pro is not having to have a server computer on (I know a NAS works also).

Cons?

Thanks.

Hard for me to say without knowing how you want to use it, what you want to accomplish, and what your minimum SC needs are.

Cons: no WebUI, limited features, loss of most if not all plugins.

JohnSwenson
2009-09-07, 09:36
TinySC by default has several features disabled to make it run reasonably well on the limited resources availble on the touch computer:

No web interface
No transcoding
No support for SB1
No pluggin support

TinySC is actually the same as the BigSC with various features turned off, it is possible to turn them back on if you really want to, but you then have to be prepared for some performance impact since its running on the same computer as everything else in the touch.

If you are not using any of these then it will probably work well for you.

There most likely will be some performance issues with really large libraries, for example a full scan of a 70,000 song library is going to take a LONG time. But you don't have to do that very often.

There are definately pros and cons when deciding whether to use TinySC as your primary server, but at least you can try it both ways and decide which way to go. You are not locked into a decision when you buy the box.

John S.

jimzak
2009-09-07, 09:50
I don't use the web GUI except to rescan my collection and I don't really use plug-ins.

I'll give it a try.

Sounds good.