PDA

View Full Version : Creative uses for the Touch

lrossouw
2009-09-07, 03:10
Given what seems to be a very flexible platform I'd though I'd start a thread on potential uses (and abuses?) of the touch other than just playing music.

It
- runs linux
- has an IR remote
- a proximity sensor
- a headphone out
- a microphone
- a usb
- plus the line-out and digital outs.

I've seen for example someone added a USB audio output device and could play music to that for example.

I've also thought that it may be possible to add a USB to VGA screen adapter and throw the now playing screen onto the HD tv. I mean if (more like when) I get one it will be right next to the TV.

Anyway think big :D

funkstar
2009-09-07, 07:20
It also has a mini built in speaker, mainly just for the startup sounds, like the controller, just now.

Don't you think this thread is a little premature though? It isn't due to ship for another 3 months :)

(Didn't mean to add that exclamation mark icon)

JohnSwenson
2009-09-07, 09:50
I had actually been thinking about the USB video as well. It turns out the maker of the USB -> video chips has just released source code for a linux driver so it might actually be possible to compile a module for it. With that in place whatever shows up on the main screen will go over the USB port and show up on the VGA.

I think it could be made to work but I'm not sure if the processor has enough resources to support it well. Fortunately most of whats happening on the screen is fairly static most of the time. You might wind up with a situation where rapid scrolling through a menu lags behind a bit on the remote screen.

John S.

lrossouw
2009-09-07, 18:26
Don't you think this thread is a little premature though? It isn't due to ship for another 3 months :)
)

Yes premature but that makes it easier to think outside of the box. Because the box hasn't arrived yet.

Another one: Alarm that keeps playing (getting louder?) or playing more noisy more irritating sounds\music until it detects movement.

Mark Lanctot
2009-09-08, 11:09
Given the fact that it has a microphone, you could potentially use it for room correction. Of course, the processor isn't powerful enough to run room correction software, it would have to be done on something much more powerful.

And then there's "The Clapper" plugin. :-)

Both applications aren't official and aren't even written, but may be possible. The microphone currently isn't used for anything.

bluegaspode
2009-09-08, 12:42
And then there's "The Clapper" plugin. :-)

... which is used to change the color of the touch-screen on hand-claps. Just place about 10 Touches in your room and this will be a great party illumination and much fun for all your guests :)

lrossouw
2009-09-08, 18:50
... which is used to change the color of the touch-screen on hand-claps. Just place about 10 Touches in your room and this will be a great party illumination and much fun for all your guests :)

Was wondering how the mic will cope if loud music is playing?

Skype for touch comes to mind as useful with the mic (and a usb webcam although the process might limit this?).

bluegaspode
2009-09-08, 23:52
Was wondering how the mic will cope if loud music is playing?
Man - didn't thought about it ... of course it would react on the bass-drum - so lights would switch automatically ! Real disco feeling !

lrossouw
2009-09-09, 01:05
Well if you want it to respond to music you could just use something like a usb relay controller (like so www.acroname.com/robotics/parts/R296-USBRLY08.html) and make it react to the music data rather than use the mic.

Obivously adding a USB relay adds a whole lot of other options...

Mic could also do stuff like Shazam on the iphone. Hear a song on tv/radio and turn on your touch. It shows the title, checks if it available in library etc.

FredFredrickson
2009-09-09, 08:01
The microphone currently isn't used for anything.

...that you know of...

/paranoia

SteveEast
2009-09-09, 08:22
...that you know of...

/paranoia

At least the Touch wont be following you around in your pocket like a cellphone....

Steve.

lrossouw
2009-09-09, 12:00
...that you know of...

/paranoia

Guess streaming back to big brother is now a "feature" :)