PDA

View Full Version : more buffering/wireless issues

Shredder
2009-09-06, 17:04
I know this has been covered many times and I have read those posts. I still have questions.

I am using a 20 month old Linksys wrt 100 wireless router, wireless G.My music is on a very fast Thecus n5200 Pro with tons of free space.

The router is in the same room as my transporter, which is in the basement. The connection is great. I have never had a drop. Under playing settings, it says the wireless strength is 97 %.

My SB3 is 2 floors up. For the past 2 years, I have not had any significant buffering/drop issues. Maybe every 3-4 weeks, there would be an issue. I would reboot the SB3 or the router or my NAS and all would be fine.

For the last 10 days, however, it has been non-stop drops. I can't get it to stop even by constant rebooting. I have increased the buffer and that has helped a little, but has not fixed the problem.The wireless strength is usually around 33%, but sometimes dips to 19%. My wife's laptop (connected to wireless) has also been dropping.

Anyway, do I need a new router, perhaps one with wirless N? Or, should I try something else first.

Thanks in advacne for the help.

aubuti
2009-09-06, 17:16
First I would try to see if you have some new source of interference. Some things, such as a neighbor's wifi network, you can see with tools such as Net Stumbler. Other things like a cordless phone, baby monitor, or poorly shielded microwave are harder to detect -- except, of course, if they are in your house. If a neighbor has put in or modified an wifi network that's causing interference you can try to change the wireless channel on your wifi router. The 3 non-overlapping channels are 1, 6, and 11.

If your Transporter is still doing fine in the basement, with no dropouts, then it doesn't sound to me like the router is crapping out. If your signal strength upstairs was previously only 33% then I would suggest doing something with your current router to improve that. You could try putting on a stronger antenna on your current router, or you could add a wireless access point to an upstairs location.

pablolie
2009-09-07, 13:17
I know this has been covered many times and I have read those posts. I still have questions.

I am using a 20 month old Linksys wrt 100 wireless router, wireless G.My music is on a very fast Thecus n5200 Pro with tons of free space.

The router is in the same room as my transporter, which is in the basement. The connection is great. I have never had a drop. Under playing settings, it says the wireless strength is 97 %.

My SB3 is 2 floors up. For the past 2 years, I have not had any significant buffering/drop issues. Maybe every 3-4 weeks, there would be an issue. I would reboot the SB3 or the router or my NAS and all would be fine.

For the last 10 days, however, it has been non-stop drops. I can't get it to stop even by constant rebooting. I have increased the buffer and that has helped a little, but has not fixed the problem.The wireless strength is usually around 33%, but sometimes dips to 19%. My wife's laptop (connected to wireless) has also been dropping.

Anyway, do I need a new router, perhaps one with wirless N? Or, should I try something else first.

Thanks in advacne for the help.

Supposedly wireless N is even more likely to have issues resulting from site interference (mostly other people's old wireless networks).

How is the signal strength throughout the house? In my experience, the SB can operate with relatively low signal quality (30%-ish) and still play FLACs, but then they become quite allergic to interference. My Kitchen Squeezebox will stop playing when I turn on the microwave. However it affects no other SB in the house. Also, if you have the other SB synchronized to the box affected by the interference, it'll hurt all of them, so my theory is that it is a good idea to synch to the one with a stronger and more stable signal.

Wireless can be tricky. The WRT100 doesn't seem to offer the option to connect stronger antennas to it (I resent that with new Linksys models with the fancy housing), which is one way to try to address this.

Again, check for interference - microwave or anything that acts like an antenna- close to one of your boxes.